Lincoln Riley to USC

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Schefter said he only has one year remaining with the Cardinals. If the Cardinals are getting rid of him (but why now? Doesn't make sense), Oklahoma makes sense. Tho, with a playoff run, they might need to wait a long time.
I don't think there's the same impetus for early extensions in the NFL that there is in college. I'd have to imagine they're going to be more than willing to lock him up long term with the year they're having.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I don't think there's the same impetus for early extensions in the NFL that there is in college. I'd have to imagine they're going to be more than willing to lock him up long term with the year they're having.
Then, I would imagine there is no way he leaves.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Most NFL Coaches have the mindset that they are on 1 or 2 yr deals, cause in the NFL they are quick to fire Coaches.

Coaches like the NFL because it is pure FB and they don't have to Recruit and all Franchises have a GM and a Scouting Dept dedicated to finding Players.

The NFL expects Coaches to make the playoffs every other year, plus the reason they don't reup like College do, is that the League has rules that set how a Franchise can go after another Franchise's HC, it isn't like College where you can just offer another HC more money than his current job.

They have set Rules for hiring HCs and Assts from other Teams

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Most NFL Coaches have the mindset that they are on 1 or 2 yr deals, cause in the NFL they are quick to fire Coaches.

Coaches like the NFL because it is pure FB and they don't have to Recruit and all Franchises have a GM and a Scouting Dept dedicated to finding Players.

The NFL expects Coaches to make the playoffs every other year, plus the reason they don't reup like College do, is that the League has rules that set how a Franchise can go after another Franchise's HC, it isn't like College where you can just offer another HC more money than his current job.

They have set Rules for hiring HCs and Assts from other Teams
Yep, it's extremely rare that a head coach goes from one job to another without a gap year. Last one I can recall is Gruden to Tampa.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Riley became the first Oklahoma coach to leave for another college football job since 1946. Every other Sooners coach since then had either retired, been fired or -- in the case of Jim Mackenzie -- died on the job. That's the definition of a destination gig.

Riley sort of used Oklahoma as a stepping stone.
One of the best coaches in the game made a calculated decision. So calculated that there may now be an explanation why Riley mysteriously disappeared for "personal reasons" the Tuesday of the Baylor game. Regardless, it's now known Riley was talking to USC in the middle of the season while chasing a seventh consecutive Big 12 title and a playoff berth.

Protocol in such situations went out the window long ago. Riley ultimately made the choice between recruiting California kids to beat SEC teams -- he had three stud commits from the state in the No. 1-ranked Class of 2023 alone -- and recruiting in California to beat one Pac-12 team. That is Oregon, the current class of a league that has fallen from grace.
That had to figure in Riley's decision, too. If he gets the job done USC, it's simply going to be easier to win than it would be at Oklahoma or LSU. If Riley does it right, it's going to be easier to recruit in a 50-mile radius around L.A. than having to beat Texas and Texas A&M, now suddenly both SEC rivals, for Texas talent.

Those are big "ifs" -- huge "ifs", actually. No one said any of it makes total sense.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I'm not bothered by this.

Go look at the Player's Parking Lot at OU, look at all the Dodge Chargers and Ford F-150s , not to mention the bags of Money and Jobs for Relatives that were had when those Players signed at OU.

Guys at OU understand the mercenary's side of the business, they are all big boys

Now can we poach any OLine Recruits from the Schools going thru Staff shakeups?

The Jacket

The Coat
I'm not bothered by this.

Go look at the Player's Parking Lot at OU, look at all the Dodge Chargers and Ford F-150s , not to mention the bags of Money and Jobs for Relatives that were had when those Players signed at OU.

Guys at OU understand the mercenary's side of the business, they are all big boys

Now can we poach any OLine Recruits from the Schools going thru Staff shakeups?
I mean if the parties involved are all perfectly fine with it, good for them I suppose. Still makes him seem like a detached prick in my book.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Buddy of mine is a big donor to USC.

They are stoked about this hire.

Wish we had that kind of money

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Swallow your pride and borrow it from him. This is no time for dignity, we need a goddamn offensive coordinator.
USC is rolling in cash. It's literally embarrassing how much money they have.

I'll see what I can do but don't get your hopes up.

The Jacket

The Coat
USC is rolling in cash. It's literally embarrassing how much money they have.

I'll see what I can do but don't get your hopes up.
As with Texas, and most SEC schools, their obscene resources make it all the more pathetic how incapable they are of settling all their internal squabbling and administrative ööööery to actually put together the winning and dominant program they have the potential, many times over, to be.

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
How the öööö do you know what cars are in the “players’ parking lot” at the University of Oklahoma?

cincytechie

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure the move to the SEC in 2025 played a big role in his decision. He knows his years of dominating the Big 12 are coming to an end. The Pac 12 is begging for a powerhouse again. Take the obscene money and live it up in SoCal.