Long before season, Georgia Tech president found football performance ‘worrisome’

I'll be the first to admit GT wasn't my first choice for architecture. It was Miami and UF. I didn't get enough $$ out of state to go to either one so I ended up at GT. Our 1990 National Championship in FB and 1991 Final Four Run for BBall actually made me 'notice' GT when I was a Sr in HS. It affected me in that I could brag that I was going to a school that had success on the football field and on the court. I thought that was pretty cool. Before that I could have cared less about the GT/UGA rivalry and I grew up in GA but because I wanted to go out of state so bad, I was looking at places with sunshine, beach and spanish senoritas.

So you came to Tech, and it was all downhill from there, eh? :biggrin:

So you came to Tech, and it was all downhill from there, eh? :biggrin:
Let's put it this way. Coming to GT certainly makes a man out of you for sure. For me it was an experience in the following stages: surprise>humbling>questioning>adapting>survival>accomplishment. Outside of GT there were certainly easier roads I could have taken but things happen in life for a reason, or at least I like to think so. THWG

Academics over athletics all day long and twice on Saturday. How is this even a debate? It's a SCHOOL, not a minor league football factory.
Why can’t they have great Athletics and just pass the players along? It’s why Notre Dame and Stanford do I’m sure.

Why can’t they have great Athletics and just pass the players along? It’s why Notre Dame and Stanford do I’m sure.

I often thought that but I saw an 'inside ND' cut one time on one of their QBs 4 or 5 years ago and they followed him through class, what he was studying, etc. No doubt that their players are just as intelligent as ours, many of them well spoken but the one noticeable difference is that they were majoring in things other than business and engineering. We've long argued that our majors weren't as varied as them or a factory school. There is some truth to it and our limitations to attract a wider net. That's why it pissed me off when then Gov Sonny Purdue and the BOR voted to allow UGAY to have an engineering school during a time when the local market was saturated. To me that was a slap in the face for GT. Most of our Grads work out of state anyways. The BOR is majority UGA grads from what I've heard and understand.

That's why it pissed me off when then Gov Sonny Purdue and the BOR voted to allow UGAY to have an engineering school during a time when the local market was saturated. To me that was a slap in the face for GT. Most of our Grads work out of state anyways. The BOR is majority UGA grads from what I've heard and understand.
I watched Michael Adams (uga president) make that pitch. His argument was literally that there are low paying engineering jobs in rural Georgia that can’t afford Tech engineers. Those companies at the time hired from Florida, Clemson, and Auburn. He solution was a supply of lower paid uga engineers.

Never mind that the real solution would be an Engineering Technology program at Tech, like the Texas schools.

I watched Michael Adams (uga president) make that pitch. His argument was literally that there are low paying engineering jobs in rural Georgia that can’t afford Tech engineers. Those companies at the time hired from Florida, Clemson, and Auburn. He solution was a supply of lower paid uga engineers.

Never mind that the real solution would be an Engineering Technology program at Tech, like the Texas schools.
We had one called Southern Tech. It was granted independence and then merged into Kennesaw State. BOR strikes again.

We had one called Southern Tech. It was granted independence and then merged into Kennesaw State. BOR strikes again.
That’s what happens when politicians sit on the university system board as a political favor.

(also you’re talking about Southern Poly, right)

The majority of degree programs available at Southern Poly are still available through KSU. This was definitely a UGAg power play.
They could have just as easily built out an engineering program at Valdosta State or Ga Southern to meet needs of rural GA.

"these numbers indicate a problematic trend which, unless reversed, has the risk of damaging the whole athletic program, no matter the successes elsewhere.”

paul-johnson-georgia-tech.gif

The majority of degree programs available at Southern Poly are still available through KSU. This was definitely a UGAg power play.
They could have just as easily built out an engineering program at Valdosta State or Ga Southern to meet needs of rural GA.

Valdosta State would have also been a better choice because the need is central and southern GA. Students from there would tend to stay there.

Tired of heating about the past. Let’s hope part of the original problem can turn it around

Valdosta State would have also been a better choice because the need is central and southern GA. Students from there would tend to stay there.
Back when engineering technology was the curriculum at Ga. Southern, I knew one of the professors pretty well. Didn't have him for a course or anything but I got to know him through Ga. Southern football, actually.
His forte was building hospitals and he taught a lot of his students how to build hospitals. He said most of his former students wound up teaching Ga Tech guys straight out of Ma Tech how to build hospitals.

Back when engineering technology was the curriculum at Ga. Southern, I knew one of the professors pretty well. Didn't have him for a course or anything but I got to know him through Ga. Southern football, actually.
His forte was building hospitals and he taught a lot of his students how to build hospitals. He said most of his former students wound up teaching Ga Tech guys straight out of Ma Tech how to build hospitals.
That's still the case. Typically, the GSU grads get jobs as field superintendents and learn the construction details and scheduling. The GT (UF, Purdue, etc.) grads start as TREs (Trade Responsible Engineers) or Project Managers with little field expertise. The field guys learn quickly how to build the building. The office guys deal with preconstruction, contract negotiation and subcontractor management.

That's still the case. Typically, the GSU grads get jobs as field superintendents and learn the construction details and scheduling. The GT (UF, Purdue, etc.) grads start as TREs (Trade Responsible Engineers) or Project Managers with little field expertise. The field guys learn quickly how to build the building. The office guys deal with preconstruction, contract negotiation and subcontractor management.
Exactly. Every good young project manager learns from their super/foreman. Its not any different from how the best first lieutenants learn from their NCOs.

Back