Looking at Jonathan Jackson

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are the stats from Insiders:

"AT TECH: Backup fullback and special teams player who has been hampered by injuries the last two seasons.

2003: Caught two passes for 18 yards, both in Tech’s victory over 17th-ranked Auburn . . . Carried the ball one time for a four-yard gain against Florida State . . . Injured against Virginia.

2002: Played primarily on special teams in 2002 but also saw time on offense in certain packages . . . Carried the ball three times for 13 yards and netted two yards on two pass receptions . . . Made six tackles on special teams . . . Sustained a fractured and dislocated ankle on a punt return against Duke in the 11th game of the 2002 season . . . "

Pretty productive stats. 2003 stats are post-injury, at that. Although we are looking at a 'very' small cross section, this is a guy that produced against tough defenses.

Devil's advocate could say that the D in each circumstance became side tracked with PJ and quit focusing on the FB, or that maybe his blocking is good, but still not 'as' good as a VERY underrated Jimmy Dixon, but who knows. Devil's advocate could also say that Reggie never spread the ball around as much in any of our games as he did against Auburn, which also opened up the field more for everybody.

Anyway - the stats, and who they were against, caught my attention. I'd like to see more of this guy, even if only to spell Jimmy a bit more often. Unless there is something going on in practice I don't know about, I don't see a reason for Jonathan not to give Jimmy a few more rests than we've seen in the past.

Knowing what I know about Gailey, it would almost have to be a blocking issue. I also know he is one of the coaches that doesn't want to swap TB's around, so that they keep pounding the same holes until they all of a sudden get the right seam. PJ's run against FSU would be an example of that.

I'll have to pay more attention to JJ this year.

Back