Lots of good former Tech coaches out there getting new jobs

Indian Buzz

Varsity Lurker
It's been really good to see some old friends reappear in new places over the last couple of weeks. Especially UCF, Army, and Duke have introduced some old friends lately.

Duke has Ted Roof and Glenn Spencer.
Army has Boss Ross and Eddie Wilson.
UCF has O'Leary and Huxtable.

O'Brien and David Kelly have been floated around as OC names for both UCF and Duke. Hopefully, all 3 teams will benefit just like we did. Good luck and congratulations to all of these men.

Has anyone heard any names for our new D-Line coach? This is a huge hire for Chan, and it looks like our recruiting is picking up steam!! Go get 'em, Chan!

You hit on a great point...I think GT HAS to be one of the top 5 schools as to Former Coaches (head coaches and Assistants) that have good coaching jobs throughout college football and in the NFL....I know at one time (back about 3 years ago I did a little research and found that only the Univ. of Miami had as many ex-coaches (former assistents and head coaches) coaching in the NFL as GT did...Ive always thought having an NFl caliber type HEAD coach at GT was important i.e. Bobby ross and Chan Gailey...as we dont always get the most highly rated players BUT we needed to have outstanding coaches to coach them up..Ross said "that he didnt have to have the most highly rated players coming out of high school just good players" Coaching is SO important and GT has had its share of good coaches....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
You hit on a great point...I think GT HAS to be one of the top 5 schools as to Former Coaches (head coaches and Assistants) that have good coaching jobs throughout college football and in the NFL....I know at one time (back about 3 years ago I did a little research and found that only the Univ. of Miami had as many ex-coaches (former assistents and head coaches) coaching in the NFL as GT did...Ive always thought having an NFl caliber type HEAD coach at GT was important i.e. Bobby ross and Chan Gailey...as we dont always get the most highly rated players BUT we needed to have outstanding coaches to coach them up..Ross said "that he didnt have to have the most highly rated players coming out of high school just good players" Coaching is SO important and GT has had its share of good coaches....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You've made some really good points there Blackwatch. It will always be harder for GT to recruit the blue chips than it will for the average state universities. BUT !!! ALAS !!!
Some coaches seem to be able to reach in an average athlete and find something there that even the athlete didn't know of. We've seen it already with Chan. QB's to DB's etc. Vir Tech in the past seemed to me to be able to have outstanding seasons with average recruits.

You said it right about Beamer and VT..Very similiar to GT..They dont get the most highly rated players or at least not till recently BUT Beamer has coached them up...

All of NFL and NCAA football is like this...that is why the coach criticisms crack me up.

The same coaches just shuffle around from program to program over the years until they have a good year somewhere and stick for a few...then a bad year or two...or a bigger $ offer... and they are off to another location.

Hiver...

This is a FACT...Very few College coaches EVER get the opportunity to be an NFL Head Coach...They do not call it PRO Football for nothing....College is still classified as the Amateur Ranks...Meaning there are VERY VERY few College Coaches good enough to be an NFL Head Coach....As Bill Parcells told Al Groh...Bill we are a Tribe...Meaning FEW belong....I for one am Grateful that we have had 2 of the Tribe (In Ross and Gailey) Being our Head Coaches...And wow look at the turnaround at U.S.C. when Carroll left the NFL to coach them...They ALWAYS had the Talent BUT have not had the Right Coach.....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Hiver...

This is a FACT...Very few College coaches EVER get the opportunity to be an NFL Head Coach...They do not call it PRO Football for nothing....College is still classified as the Amateur Ranks...Meaning there are VERY VERY few College Coaches good enough to be an NFL Head Coach....As Bill Parcells told Al Groh...Bill we are a Tribe...Meaning FEW belong....I for one am Grateful that we have had 2 of the Tribe (In Ross and Gailey) Being our Head Coaches...And wow look at the turnaround at U.S.C. when Carroll left the NFL to coach them...They ALWAYS had the Talent BUT have not had the Right Coach.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am not quite sure how you got to your post off of mine...but interesting post nonetheless.

btw...Bill Walsh was a stud in the NFL and failed miserably in college. Bobby Ross was a successful college coach for many years before ever going to the NFL and did fantastic taking a mediocre Chargers team to the Super Bowl. Al Groh stunk in college...went to the NFL as an assistant and eventually became a pretty good head coach...and now he has been average so far at UVA (no better than George Welsh yet).

...you just never know.

Hiver...My point is that at GT it helps tremendously to have an NFL caliber type coach that can coach up.....There is always an isolated example of A Bill Walsh and there may be some hidden stuff there with him age..exct...

I kindof disagree with you about Groh...He inherited a team where the Cupboard was left Empty...He had to play all those Frosh. a year ago and Frosh and Soph this year BUT i fully expect him to be Successful at UVA...H is well respected by a lot of NFL people and Bobby Ross had his son join Groh's staff and hey he like Chan hasn't been there long enough to FAIRLY judge him....Unlike Carroll at USC where he came into a boat load of talent....

Back