lots of injuries for Ugag

law_bee

Dodd-Like
anyone think maybe their weight training regiment is to blame?

I just remember how this guy they got from F$U is suppose to be one of the best in the business, but I tell you they seem to have a LOT of injuries.

As thin as we are we have been VERY FORTUNATE.

No. These things just happen. It happens in the NFL every Sunday and those guys are the best trained football players in the world. See Mobley for the Broncos yesterday carried off on a stretcher. Its a violent sport and when bodies collide and move as fast as they do its simple physics.

Weight training is a very big
thing in a college football
program. However, I am also of
the opinion that a team just
sometimes get struck by the
injury bug. And when this
happens it there isn't much
a team can do about it, unless
in UGAG's case they do have a
good bit of depth to fall back on.

Guess, we will see Saturday how much
quality UGAG has with their depth.

Gooooooooooooo, Gators!!!!!!!!!!

Decory Bryant (neck)
DE Will Thompson (ankle)
DT Kedric Golston (shoulder)
TB Tony Milton (leg)
S Kentrell Curry (leg)
DT Ray Gant (leg)

are all out (for the season)

(All starters except Gant who was playing significant minutes)

FB Jamario Smith (back)
are doubtful;

(both 2nd stringers that contribute)

WR Fred Gibson (knee)
G Josh Brock (shoulder)
G Bartley Miller (shoulder)
LB Tony Taylor (ankle)
LB Arnold Harrison (ankle)
DE David Pollack (knee)
FB Jeremy Thomas (concussion)

are all questionable

(All starters)

I don't think we have the depth to overcome the loss of these guys, at least not against UF.

Sfalco,

I guess I could understand all the injuries if they were sustained against teams like LSU (those Tigers are tough). But UGA is also loosing good folks against teams like Vandy and UAB. Your schedule is no cake-walk from now on.... Florida, Auburn, Kentucky and GT.

What's the inside story on how the team will hold up the rest of the season? To say the least... after UAB, all of our UGA RV club friends were extremely concerned about how the team is currently doing and what their chances are for winning all the rest. What's your take? Also, heard that Shockley was out for the season.

BuzzB

sfalco,

what do other dawgs think? Is anyone questioning the weighttraining or just chalking it up to bad luck?

I know that CG has stated he does not practice physical stuff b/c we are SOOOOO thin.

I wonder if college programs will go the way of the pros and stop hitting during practices a few games into the season

To answer both of you:

1) Most UGA fans are concerned; some more than others. Some think we are doomed and others refuse to face the inevitible fact that our injuries are limiting us significantly.

My take? I guessing we split the the last 4 games, with UF more than likely being one of the losses.

2) I don't think the strength and conditioning has much to do with our injury situation. I just think we got bit this year.

Coach Richt has made it clear that the team is not going to hit each other much this week.

3) I forgot about D.J. Shockley. Yes, he is out for the season also.

It has nothing to do with strength and conditioning. Plain and simple, its just bad luck. Tech got snakebit last season, as did UT. It just happens...injuries are part of the game. Personally, I think we've been hit harder this season than any season I can remember for any team. We've been extremely fortunate so far that it hasn't caught up with us (though I suppose you could make an arguement that it did since Gibson missed LSU).

Some years its just not your year. But for all the injuries, we're still in the Top 5, so I don't suppose I have much to complain about.

Perhaps it's just karma?

Originally posted by NightFighterDawg:

Some years its just not your year. But for all the injuries, we're still in the Top 5, so I don't suppose I have much to complain about.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NightFigtht:

Can't argue with Top 5. Although it's been one of the strangest football seasons that I've seen in a long time. With all of the NCAA rule changes, it looks like you can't afford to blow off even the traditionally bad teams anymore.

What's the poop on your Pres? We were at the game and Adams wasn't voted "Mr. Homecoming Popular" by the fans on Saturday. No mistaking the 'Booing and Hissing' directed at him during the halftime show - must have been at least 75-80% of the fan base heckling him. It was loud and long.

Is he a lame duck gonner or will UGA keep shaking itself apart over this issue? The UGA faculty look like they are paralyzed and incapable of doing anything about the situation for fear of loosing their jobs.

BuzzB

Originally posted by Buzz Bomb:

What's the poop on your Pres? We were at the game and Adams wasn't voted "Mr. Homecoming Popular" by the fans on Saturday. No mistaking the 'Booing and Hissing' directed at him during the halftime show - must have been at least 75-80% of the fan base heckling him. It was loud and long.

Is he a lame duck gonner or will UGA keep shaking itself apart over this issue? The UGA faculty look like they are paralyzed and incapable of doing anything about the situation for fear of loosing their jobs.

BuzzB
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well I certainly hope he's on his way out. Many questionable decisions on his part, the least of which was not extending Dooley's contract. His wife gets a 30K/year salary for "hosting parties at their house." The Costa Rica house for "study abroad purposes," The $12K chartered flight to Bush's Inauguration. Just bad decisions. The Foundation is as much to blame for not keeping tabs on him, but like one of the members said, "The rules have been the same for years and years, we've just never had a president that abused them."

The faculty won't speak out until he leaves because they're all scared they'll get fired...he's fired/replaced every department head since he's been there (Dooley was the last one).

So, I hope he's gone, but the Board of Regents is scared to make a move, IMO, because then it looks like athletics is running the ship...which couldn't be further from the truth.

Originally posted by NightFighterDawg:

So, I hope he's gone, but the Board of Regents is scared to make a move, IMO, because then it looks like athletics is running the ship...which couldn't be further from the truth.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The BOR looks to be a bunch of political appointees with no special qualifications. One, in particular, looks and acts like Auburn's Louder. Looks like this guy wants to replace his wife and Dooley with the Gym Dawg coach. Hope you guys are able to get Mr. Peyton Place reigned in quickly. Your UGA Foundation trustees look foolish and like they are totally asleep at the wheel (their excuse appears to be pretty lame to an outside observer). Somebody better wake them up and give them a dose of Geritol. Your Foundation may need a good enema in this process too.

BuzzB

Originally posted by Buzz Bomb:
One, in particular, looks and acts like Auburn's Louder. Looks like this guy wants to replace his wife and Dooley with the Gym Dawg coach.
BuzzB
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're referring to Don Leeburn. That guy is trouble and needs to go, too, no matter how much money it costs UGA...because getting rid of him will be a much greater benefit in the future. He has Adams in his pocket, that's why he's so adament about keeping him around. Word is that donations to the Foundation have completely plummeted and he's making up the difference to cover Adams' ass and say, "See? Things aren't so bad." Close to the end of the 2000 season, Dooley and Adams met and both decided that they would give Donnan another year. After the debacle in the Tech game, Leeburn met with Adams and allegedly plopped a wad of money down on Adams desk telling him to get rid of Donnan. Adams, of course, agreed and left Dooley out to dry. In hindsight, it turned out OK, but doing business that way is extremely dangerous. Leeburn really neeeds to go.

I do not like to see any player injured. But unfortunately, they do happen.

As far as ugag having more than their share of injuries, it is not different than Tech having more than their share of injuries last year.

I do not feel sorry for Ugag any more than they didn't feel sorry for us last year when they stomped a mudhole in our arse's by a 51-7 score that was really nowhere near that close.

I would sincerely hope (and EXPECT) that Chan is prepared to return the favor this year.

During their stretch of top 4s FSU always had a lot of injuries.

Part of it is having a lot of GREAT players on the second team...

a. capable of laying the wood

and

b. anxious to be the starter.

UGA is very, very good. Their second string is very, very good. Part of the reason they are so good is they practice hard and play hard and every player (cept maybe Pollack) is looking over their shoulder.

When you have All-Americans on the third team you have the luxury that Richt has.

People, we need to stop talking about our allright defensive coordinator and start talking about UGA's awesome DC. The buzz in the state needs to be what team HE will be the HC for in 2004.

UGA's second string got manhandled up front by UAB's offensive line this past weekend. That was a game they were LUCKY to win.

UGA is overrated. Frankly I think they get beat this weekend.

Originally posted by Beesnut:
UGA's second string got manhandled up front by UAB's offensive line this past weekend. That was a game they were LUCKY to win.

UGA is overrated. Frankly I think they get beat this weekend.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ah yes, the phrase we heard all of last season...starting with the Clemson win. We heard it all year... en route to 51-7, an SEC Championship, and a 13-1 record with a #3 national ranking.

Originally posted by beeware:
I do not feel sorry for Ugag any more than they didn't feel sorry for us last year when they stomped a mudhole in our arse's by a 51-7 score that was really nowhere near that close.

I would sincerely hope (and EXPECT) that Chan is prepared to return the favor this year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And they ALL said "AMEN!"

Don't be so thin-skinned NiteLighter. When you come to Stingtalk you can expect some overrated smack talk. It is nothing personal.

UGA looks pretty good. Richt pulled back on the boys a little to gear up for the stretch run and it was reflected in your play. But while yall have the talent to make it hard for my beloved Jackets to just keep the score respectable, UF still has more talent than yall.

IMHO, the game is still UF's to lose. If they bring their A game you will not be able to do anything to change the outcome.

Ugag's problem is NO running attack. If you cannot run the ball you are not going to win them all.

I think the injuries to Gibson and watson have really hurt Greene. Now with shockley gone Uga is much more one dimensional.

But you still have a freshman qb on the other side of the ball. I think UF wins it but if Ugag can get some turnovers there D may be good enough to carry the day.

Back