lots of injuries for Ugag

Originally posted by Beesnut:
UGA's second string got manhandled up front by UAB's offensive line this past weekend.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">UAB also sent a 1st string All American defensive end (Pollack) out of the game with a sprained knee. Pollack didn't return the remainder of the game and I doubt that it was because Richt and VanGorder were saving him for Florida.

BuzzB

Ayep...that's the key to that game to me...whether David Pollack is healthy or not. If he's healthy, UF prolly doubleteams him most of the game, which means they have one less blocker to block other players. If he's not healthy, they don't doubleteam him and that leaves one more player to go block someone else.

Also, NightFighterDawg, nothing personal here, but can you explain to me why you DON'T consider UGA a bit overrated this year? You beat Clemson, who other than the game against us, has looked pretty weak all year. You beat South Carolina, but that too is nothing to brag about...they're in the top 50 at best. You lost to LSU, and they do look like a pretty good football team. You beat Vandy but struggled like we did. You beat UAB, but not very handily. You beat Tennessee, but I'll be honest with you on this one as well. I'd rather play Tennessee than most teams in the ACC right now. If you can stop Tennessee's run, they flat out suck. (On a side note, Casey Clausen has to be the most over-rated QB in the nation. He played well in the 5 OT's against Bama...but Bama ain't all that sportey this year either).

Truthfully, since Spurrier left for the pros and Tennessee has started to suck (like they have for the last 2 years), the SEC is not a very strong football conference. Now, you're laughing and guffawing I'm sure right now. But tell me which is the tougher conference:

Tennesee
Florida
Ga
Auburn
LSU
Alabama

OR

Miami
FSU
Va Tech
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Virginia
?

Just my opinion and we all know what that's worth...but I personally think the SEC is a fairly weak conference that is getting respect chiefly based on past reputation.

Originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white:
You beat Vandy but struggled like we did.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pardon the thread-hijack but I'm interested in NightFight's opinion on the Vandy issue as well. I hear a lot of SEC fans saying, "Let's rid the SEC of Vandy". Primarily because of their Pres punting football back to the Intramural Sports Dept and getting rid of the AD.

Personally, for Vandy to be getting so much flack from the SEC, they don't look too darn bad to me. Vandy gave us both a run for our money. GT down to the wire and UGA in the 1st half. What is the justification for the SEC being so down on Vandy right now?

BuzzB

OK, I'll try to hit all the points here:

Pollack is definitely a key on defense. He's the emotional leader out there. For all the flack he gets here for his dancing around and such, it keeps the D, and crowd for that matter, pumped and into it. Without him, we're not quite the same (but still very good). He's now battling turf toe and a knee injury, but I don't think either is a very severe case. He never took his pads off against UAB and stood there on the sideline like he was waiting to go back in, but never did. I think he'll be OK for the game...not 100%, but OK.

As for Vandy, they'll come out and play you, that much they've proven by giving Tech, Ole Miss, and Georgia all they wanted. But for all of the fuss, they're still 0 for the conference. Vandy is always a pesky opponent and they do things the right way...which is to be commended. I think that's why they've stuck around for so long despite getting their teeth kicked in year after year. They've always tried. But now that they've gotten rid of the AD, I think everyone views it as a sign that they're just giving up, essentially, and just expecting the big check from the SEC at the end of the year. Now the Vandy Prez says that he thinks it will make them more competitive in the future, but are we sure he isn't doing it just to get the AD money? (BTW, I wouldn't be suprised to see Adams try and pull that stunt, too.) If it turns out he is just after the money, and Vandy falls off even worse than they are right now, then I think you'll really see the move to kick them out.

As for Georgia being overrated. I think we might be a tad overrated, based on how we've played the last 2 weeks. Still, when I look at the teams behind us, I don't see a team we can't beat (yes, I'm aware this sentence has a double negative...deal with it). We'll see this weekend if it was just a lack of intensity for the lesser opponents or whether the injuries are really starting to catch up with us.

I can see y'all winning the next three, the fourth y'all are getting an ass whoopin'

To HELL with Georgia!

Yea... I like that idea. THEY win the SEC and WE get braggin rights for a whole year. Let's do it!

BuzzB

Originally posted by law_bee:
anyone think maybe their weight training regiment is to blame?

I just remember how this guy they got from F$U is suppose to be one of the best in the business, but I tell you they seem to have a LOT of injuries.

As thin as we are we have been VERY FORTUNATE.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Funny, I remember last year when everyone including ex-players were calling for the job of our weight trainer for similar problems that UGA is having this year. Now the guy goes unmentioned with a depleted corps due to academics. Maybe he's doing something right, or like some things, maybe injuries cannot be helped.

Back