Louisville an ACC fit?

To me, the 3 schools I would want to add are:
VT, Miami and ???...maybe syracuse.

I'm not sure on the 3rd school. I think that we need to keep the conference geographically coherent in order to pull this off...all the while, adding teams that would bring in enough extra revenue to make the NC Mafia happy.

The 2 stumbling blocks are:
1)The 4 NC schools. They are generally a power base and a voting block. They needed their arms twisted to get in FSU in 1992...so don't expect them to roll over and bring in 3 teams without a fight now.

2)Money - in order to deal with stumbling block #1, we have to make sure the overall revenue is enough so that we don't take a pay-cut to bring in these 3 schools.

Thoughts?

Since you asked, I would add these 3 - VT, Miami, and UCF. VT and Miami are the "traditional" mentions when ACC expansion is debated, and I like them for all of the reasons many others have stated - solid FB and BB, improve strength of FB schedule, etc.

I like UCF because it addresses the point raised about geography. The ACC is a southern conference in most ways, and by avoiding the Syracuse/BC region, we can keep it that way. UCF is no slouch in FB, and appears to be on the way up, so adding them shouldn't hurt FB. BB may be a different story, but a lot of people felt the same way about FSU and they have been more than competitive in the ACC.

The Tobacco Road crew will fight expansion to the death, so this is probably a moot debate, but it is still fun to kick around.

GO JACKETS!

My $.02 worth: VT, Miami, and WVU. VT and Miami are strong in football (obviously), but WVU makes sense too - Geographically (more so than the 'Cuse or BC)and they have a decent tradition in both football and basketball. Miami's basketball is on the way up (and they have a new arena)and they would make us the #1 baseball conference. I think we could come up with some creative scenarios to overcome the "Carolina problem", one way is to split the 4 NC schools between the two divisions, but let them keep their 2 sister schools from the other division as their two permanent opponents from the other division (e.g., UGA has AU and Ole Miss as their 2 permanents from the West Div).
One more thought: VT and UVA are already rivals, as well as Miami and FSU, and Md and WVU.

an EMPHATIC NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they would be behind in order:

1) Notre Dame
2) Miami
3) Syracuse
4) Boston College
5) Virgina Tech
6) Navy

All of these have pretty good academics, good tv exposure and following, no we wont get Notre Dame, but in my opinion, The ACC would help the non football sports of Notre Dame, just like it did FSU, baskeball, Baseball, womens Bball & Soccer

Back