Louisville road trip

Where are your tickets? Section 106 allows alcohol. Anywhere else?

I'm looking forward to this game. Louisville lied their way into the ACC with all sorts of promises about improving their academics and research, then backpedalled and no one said a thing. Even after other universities sent in a task force to help, they refused all of the recommendations.

Not sure if you guys are into the Shaker aesthetic, but there's also some cool Shaker villages in the Louisville proximity.

We're driving - so bringing some of the tailgate setup with us. Looks like tons of parking available at the Expo center nearby. I assume this is a cash lot and allows tailgating.

I’m flying but I will have a rental car. Let’s figure out which lot we should use.

Mammoth Cave National Park is on the way. Lots of tours ranging from 30 minutes to several hours.

People in Louisville like to think their restaurants are good (downtown Louisville is the hipster capital of the world and everyone is a foodie), but in general, they're "meh". When I go for a weekend, I basically follow the "Ed Lee" rule, which is to eat at his 3 restaurants (610 Magnolia - Southern, Milkwood - Southern/Asian Fusion, and Whisky Dry - Fancy bar food). 610 Magnolia is easily the best restaurant in the city and would be a Top 10 in Atlanta.

Outside of the Ed Lee, I'd really only recommend Ward 426 and Bourbon's Bistro. If you need a 4th, try Milkwood (Ed Lee's Southern/Asian fusion restaurant). If you want a good burger place, try Bluegrass Burgers. A decent hot chicken place outside of Nashville is Royal's - but you'll have to wait in line out the door for 30 mins - 1 hour to place an order.

The only touristy thing I'd recommend is Churchhill Downs if there is live racing. I've gone a few times other than Derby and it's still really neat when they have live racing. Definitely worth a visit once in your life. They also have a museum on site (but I wouldn't go just for that). Ali Center is OK to waste 90 mins or so.

The University is terrible and not worth a visit: imagine if Tech banned research and only taught. As a result, the Administration knocked down all buildings and constructed 10 replicas of Skiles - and that's it. That's the University of Louisville. Hell, the library has like 100 books and 30 tables for studying. But the athletic facilities are top notch. They have a rowing facility on the Ohio River that's nicer than our stadium.
My wife and I had a very good meal at John E's, though it was years and years ago (perhaps the fact that the place is still there is a positive sign?)

http://www.johnesrestaurant.com/

If you're driving from Atlanta to Louisville, it's on the way. Stopped there a few months ago - they now have an exhibit dedicated to the sink hole.
I saw photos of them recovering vehicles from the hole. wild stuff!

Anyone planning on going? Any advice on areas to stay? Good parking lots for visitor tailgating? Recommended stops on the bourbon trail?
If we beat Clemson I’m goin. Already got the time off

Back