lunch bunch report with coach patrick nix

ylojk8

Helluva Engineer
Lunch Bunch: QB coach and Running Game coordinator Patrick Nix

Said that we had a good spring. we worked on toughening up the team. we don't look great on the offense yet but that is what spring is all about.

said that o-line depth is a problem in every school. robinson and dorsey sitting out has given an opportunity for back ups to get reps against a darn good d-line. mentioned honeycutt and tidwell-neal as having good springs.

running backs: pj daniels and michael sampson had good springs. ACE has been injured most of the spring so that was a disappointment. we were hoping for ACE to step up this spring but his injuries have kept him out. jermaine hatch will probably never be 100% which is a disappointment. felt that reshaun grant can contribute as true frosh, which is why we recruited him as hard as we did. however commented that we never know with high school players, it can be a swing and a miss.

did not mention tony hollings until someone specifically asked about tony. said that we are preparing for tony to not be there. that is the worst case scenario in regards to tony and we have to be prepared for that to happen. if tony comes back, we have no problems in the running game, doesn't matter who is taking the snaps or who is blocking, it's all gravy. however, commented that sometimes players coming out of knee injuries don't have stellar first years but get it back all together in their 2nd year for example edgarin james. once again, he thought that tony is fully healthy but he is not the trainer. his job is to be prepared for the worst case scenario, which is that tony doesn't make it. asked about redshirting tony if he doesn't make it and the response was that we'll look into that if we have to and it depended on the NCAA.

my comment: this does not translate into tony not coming back. this just goes to show that we are doing our best to prepare for the worst.

receivers: touched a little on them. said that nate curry was the surprise of the spring to him. curry is having a great spring. said that curry is not 100% yet but is the closest he has been to 100% as long as nix has been around, which is great. moreover, said that curry still has the summer and the fall to improve.

QBs: bilbo is the main man right now. the team and the coaches respect where bilbo is right now and his comments made it to appear that it is bilbo's team now. aj has also had a good spring. pena is a true freshman and has some ways to go. said that it is very very hard for a true frosh to come in and take the reins. carter and ball are great athletes but probably won't end up being our starting qbs in the coming season. but if we were forced to go with a true frosh, though that our incoming qb class had athletes who could handle that. thought that pena had the skills to succeed as well. when asked if pena would be played at another position if it didn't work out, said that we haven't thought about that at all. both ball and carter will hang out a bit with the team during the summer.

fullback: michael mathews is the real deal. he is a red shirt freshman, which is a plus. said that the fullback will not really be used to run the ball, rather for blocking in running plays.

my comment: m&m has real good hands and i've seen him catch quite a few passes during the spring. we're throwing to our full back, not sure if they're designed plays to the fullback as primary target or check offs but m&m makes them work. real soft touch while catching the ball and then tucks it and goes up north. also, gavin B (no. 86) seems to be the backup fullback and he too has soft hands.

TEs: foschi has had a great spring. cooper is the other TE. cooper is red shirt freshman and has the potential to grow and improve. we've been throwing to the TE too.

the O philosophy: we'll have a balanced attack when it comes to passing vs running. said that the game situation will affect the play calling. commented that aikman threw for the most yards in one season with gailey as head coach, which goes to show that gailey is not just a run run run guy.

asked about the split duties. said that it made sense for geis to be passing game coordinator and him to be running game coordinator. since he is QB coach too, that means he is involved with the passing game as well.

said that it is gailey's offense and gailey will be calling the plays. his duty as far as the running game goes is to coordinate practice, organize plays etc.

asked about the coming auburn game. said that he could not wait and was very excited about it. said that he loves auburn just as we love tech. said that auburn better be good because they sure are talking like it. it doesn't matter if you have x, y or z player on the roster unless they can perform as a team on the field. that's why we tee up and kick it off.

agreed with gailey's philosophy that we plan to win all the games we play. if you ask a Tech player as to which team we will lose to next season, he will come out and say we will win em all. we are not planning to lose to any team.

might have missed something. please feel free to add.

was my first lunch bunch and it was a tremendous experience. i got a nice decal for my vehicle. had a good lunch and met a few more hard core fans. i plan to attend lots more of these lunches and would recommend them to anyone who's a tech fan.

next week, it'll be coach gailey at the dias. spring practice would be over by then and coach gailey will give us a recap of the spring and his insights and outlook towards our coming season. i've been told to arrive early next monday otherwise there might be standing room only.

if you've read this far into my little report and are a Tech fan and near atlanta, you owe it to yourself to come out for the spring game on saturday, april 12th. admission is free and gametime is 11:00 am at BDS. entrance through gate 9 (techwood) or gate 1 (north ave).

EXCELLENT job my man!!! THANKS A MILLION!!!!

ylojk8, OUT FREAK'N STANDING! Thanks for the report and I'm super glad you were able to attend. Those deals are really awesome. Would have loved to have been there to hear Coach Nix. Have heard him before and he's very intense great communicator.

That's a great report! Makes me feel good to hear these things coming from him. His take, he sure knows a great deal more than me, means a lot.

Thanks again for LB report.

GO Jackets!!

A tip of my hat to you.... thanks for taking the time to post this excellent report... many, many thanks...

Its only spring.. but I like what I am hearing out of this staff

Great report. Appreciate your work. Has inspired me to to BDS@HGF Sat.
drinking.gif

Go Jackets

Originally posted by pjjacket:
Great report. Appreciate your work. Has inspired me to to BDS@HGF Sat.
drinking.gif

Go Jackets
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">WOO HOOO. Way to go pj. Glad you're coming.

Back