Major Flaws

gnats67

Dodd-Like
Starting the game out of sync is kind of a red flag. Ball security. Bad play calling/coaching. Half assing effort. Watch it again. Or on second thought just take it for granted. You don't want to watch that again. The rebuilding excuse is solid but it only really covers so much.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
5) Dumbass fans with unrealistic expectations
My expectations in the short term are only very loosely predicated on wins and losses. I'm more interested in seeing development, or evidence of competent coaching. Right now we do not look like we have our öööö together--players frequently committing penalties and turnovers, missing kicks or missing assignments that allow kicks to be blocked, looking confused pre-snap, being out of position, being in position but demonstrating poor tackling technique. The list goes on.

Some of these things may be correctable with the current staff, others will likely require new minds in key assistant positions as well as more focus on business, and less on having fun.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Is it really unrealistic to expect us not to let BC score more in a single half than they have in any full game all year?

Boston ööööing college.
This. I mean come the öööö on. Now BC is running up the score? At what point do we man up?

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I’m not sure where this comment fits but the worse thing Collins did lately was state that this team is (or could be) good right now. It would have been more accurate to say that Tech is still a young team that has a lot to learn about playing winning football. Not sure why he thought making a statement like that was needed or warranted.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I’m not sure where this comment fits but the worse thing Collins did lately was state that this team is (or could be) good right now. It would have been more accurate to say that Tech is still a young team that has a lot to learn about playing winning football. Not sure why he thought making a statement like that was needed or warranted.
So he set the expectations too high. Makes sense. I think all our expectations were high after we beat FSU. The problem is we see regression week over week and that frustrates fans who want to believe this is a young talented team that will win in the future. It puts doubt in people’s minds that Mayhem Motors staff is capable of coaching these young talented players.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Well, it makes me question if he recognizes the fundamental issues we have on defense. I’m ok with saying the talent is a work in progress but why didn’t Collins think that.

Offense is pretty obvious: dynamic and can make plays but inconsistent and error prone due to inexperience. That does not add up to “good”.

It is fine to say we would be good outside of TOs and mistakes but at his point we are a team that makes a lot
of TOs and mistakes.

Up until about 2 weeks ago all Collins every talked about was developing and getting better every day. I can understand that so I’m not sure why he changed the message.

gt6828d

Varsity Lurker
I suspect, given it's such a young team, that this was the case where they allowed one very deflating loss against Clemson to snowball into another awful performance against BC. It's happened with the pro team in Atlanta, too, so if it can happen to seasoned pros it's not surprising it happened to a group that's heavy on underclassmen. That's not an excuse, but it's part of the reality of what happened.

Two things that the coaching staff rightly deserves to be criticized for: 1.) They still seem unable to correct Sims' ball handling issues. This was the 3rd or 4th time Sims just put the ball on the carpet without anyone really touching him. 2.) The slow starts and the inability to play 60 minutes of consistent football. Yes, the defense was terrible today, but the slow start by the offense was a classic example of really bad complementary football. Coming off the performance against Clemson, that can't happen. The coaches need to know that. Sims needs to know that as a player in a leadership position. At some point the hard lessons need to start to stick.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I suspect, given it's such a young team, that this was the case where they allowed one very deflating loss against Clemson to snowball into another awful performance against BC. It's happened with the pro team in Atlanta, too, so if it can happen to seasoned pros it's not surprising it happened to a group that's heavy on underclassmen. That's not an excuse, but it's part of the reality of what happened.

Two things that the coaching staff rightly deserves to be criticized for: 1.) They still seem unable to correct Sims' ball handling issues. This was the 3rd or 4th time Sims just put the ball on the carpet without anyone really touching him. 2.) The slow starts and the inability to play 60 minutes of consistent football. Yes, the defense was terrible today, but the slow start by the offense was a classic example of really bad complementary football. Coming off the performance against Clemson, that can't happen. The coaches need to know that. Sims needs to know that as a player in a leadership position. At some point the hard lessons need to start to stick.
I never played CFB. It’s humbling for me to watch the discrepancy of Sims outstanding performance on HS tapes against good opponents versus how he seemingly has no tactile or vision sense against a pocket that quickly collapses or never existed midway through his first season. That’s just lack of coaching.

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
First two years for Collins are free passes. But brother, I better see significant improvement in 2021 for this squad. Good coaches know how to fix issues and make proper adjustments. I like Geoff but he better have some come to Jesus meetings with his coaches and players.