Major Flaws

MidGABuzz

Dodd-Like
I wish I could say that I was seeing improvement with a young team, but I can't. The defense just looks lost, out of place, and porous to the point of making mediocre QB's look like the next 1st round pick. The offense seems to have streaks of brilliance, but no consistency. Ball security is a big glaring problem. I do believe that CGC is doing fine work on the recruiting front, but he and his staff have to get critically busy on coaching these guys up and soon, if they want to continue to poach good or great talent. Looking forward to seeing some improvement.

stingmeyall

Flats Noob
Hard to come up with so many thoughts about how epically bad we are. Abso;utely worst defense I've seen at Tech...and that is saying something. BC has one of the most vanilla offenses in the country. I believe they came in averaging 66 yards on the ground this season and thrashed us. David Curry recieves accolades from the announcers every week and he is one of the worst tacklers on the team. He whiffs on so many tackles its embarrassing. What other team in the country is so weak on ST's they send in the punter from the opponent's 29 yard line? The majority of HS teams would line up and make FG's from that spot on the field. We also lost a lot of early calls from the officials. We recovered a fumble that was reversed, even though replay was inconclusive. Then Mason fumbles and BC recovers and returns for TD and it appeared he may have been down when the ball came out. Gibbs returns KO for a TD and Tech is called for holding and miraculously there is no replay so coaches and fans can't dispute. Until we can get a D on the field that is presentable we will always be cellar dwellers.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
All I want to see is playing and giving effort like you want to be there. We looked tired on the first play on both o and d

How is that possible
Did we install Planet Fitness on the sidelines pregame?

Planet Fitness is the perfect name for it by the way. No Lunks out there. Just poor form.

Chattanooga Jacket

Damn Good Rat
They aren’t doing the basic stuff correctly on a consistent basis. The fundamentals are seemingly absent from this team.

doyojob

Varsity Lurker
5) Dumbass fans with unrealistic expectations
You’re the dumbass. We are witnessing one of the the most undisciplined Tech teams ever. It is certainly not an unreasonable expectation for them to play disciplined football. Talent has nothing to do with turnovers and penalties - those are coaching issues.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I wish I could say that I was seeing improvement with a young team, but I can't. The defense just looks lost, out of place, and porous to the point of making mediocre QB's look like the next 1st round pick. The offense seems to have streaks of brilliance, but no consistency. Ball security is a big glaring problem. I do believe that CGC is doing fine work on the recruiting front, but he and his staff have to get critically busy on coaching these guys up and soon, if they want to continue to poach good or great talent. Looking forward to seeing some improvement.
The offense isn't too damning considering the situation. As you kind of said, the offense has shown flashes of being good, unlike last year where it was kind of just consistent crud. The ball security is kind of coin flip for me, it might just be an effect of having as much inexperience as we have (the offensive linemen are older but are basically true sophomores in learning this kind of blocking except for the transfer) or it might be a real trend. I'm not sure whats wrong with the defense.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Other teams with quality depth get to enjoy the free year and can fine tune their rosters but not us. We have to keep flipping. This sucks

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
First two years for Collins are free passes. But brother, I better see significant improvement in 2021 for this squad. Good coaches know how to fix issues and make proper adjustments. I like Geoff but he better have some come to Jesus meetings with his coaches and players.
Agreed. I said from the beginning that the third year was the first year we'd be able to really judge Collins, and I'll continue to wait until then for my "official judgment".

However, based on what I've seen at this point I have very little confidence that our third year is going to go even decently.

Like others have said, it's not about the wins and losses but the lack of improvement we've seen since the beginning of the season, and even since last season in many aspects.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
I suspect, given it's such a young team, that this was the case where they allowed one very deflating loss against Clemson to snowball into another awful performance against BC. It's happened with the pro team in Atlanta, too, so if it can happen to seasoned pros it's not surprising it happened to a group that's heavy on underclassmen. That's not an excuse, but it's part of the reality of what happened.

Two things that the coaching staff rightly deserves to be criticized for: 1.) They still seem unable to correct Sims' ball handling issues. This was the 3rd or 4th time Sims just put the ball on the carpet without anyone really touching him. 2.) The slow starts and the inability to play 60 minutes of consistent football. Yes, the defense was terrible today, but the slow start by the offense was a classic example of really bad complementary football. Coming off the performance against Clemson, that can't happen. The coaches need to know that. Sims needs to know that as a player in a leadership position. At some point the hard lessons need to start to stick.
What about the deflating loss to a Syracuse team we should’ve handled easily?

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
5) Dumbass fans with unrealistic expectations
Yesterday Boston College entered the game averaging only 66 rushing yards per game, with a season high of 90 rushing yards. The Eagles finished with 264 rushing yards and scored 48 points.

Why do fans have unrealistic expectations in thinking our defense should be better than it what we saw at Boston?

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
WTF he trying to say with this cryptic crap?

a) Grades
b) Homesick
c) Starts next week

Unless there is a huge gulf in practice performance between Sims and the other QBs, I don't know why you wouldn't give the #2 (whoever it is, and I don't think it is Graham) a start. Despite Sims' flashes of goodness, his decision-making and ball-handling leave the door open for someone else.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Yesterday Boston College entered the game averaging only 66 rushing yards per game, with a season high of 90 rushing yards. The Eagles finished with 264 rushing yards and scored 48 points.

Why do fans have unrealistic expectations in thinking our defense should be better than it what we saw at Boston?

If you were an opposing coach would you exploit a weakness?

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
Bet tuck is half way out the door. Unfortunate but it’s the trend of college ball. If you don’t start or barely play, you transfer.. QB more often

Sims has thrown so many ints.. he should’ve at least gotten a series or two by now in there.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
And my god, faking a punt from inside the 30... no coach in their right mind is going to take seriously the notion that you're actually punting in that situation.

I would cringe if I saw a middle school coach try something like that.
Just watched the condensed game and was perplexed and angered by that. That was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Harvin threw a good ball but still.

I'm so pissed over that play I'm going to cancel my SLing

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
The tough part is that our defense has been much less effective than last season. I am not expert enough to know which of the inputs to that equation are the strongest (attrition, effort, coaching, scheme), but it's kept us out of some games this year. Last year's defense + this year's offense and we probably beat Syracuse and are much more competitive with BC.

gt6828d

Varsity Lurker
What about the deflating loss to a Syracuse team we should’ve handled easily?
Wasn't a record-setting defeat in which the team looked like boys against men. What happened in Syracuse was partly self-inflicted. What happened against Clemson was a humbling.