Manget WON'T get record now

law_bee

Dodd-Like
Manget WON\'T get record now

you people may think it is wrong to think about individual achievement, however with kickers that is all they have

he deserved his shot. Our pathetic no scoring offensive coaching in the second half locked it up

Re: Manget WON\'T get record now

Law-Bee,

You may be right, Manget might not get the record. But remember, this is the first year that post-season appearances count in the individual career stats.

Still two games to go...

AJC article disagrees

And Manget wouldn't be in position to set the record if he didn't play on teams that scored a lot of touchdowns. Tech needs to score eight in its last two games -- Saturday against Duke and Nov. 30 at Georgia -- for Manget to break the record. (Bowl game statistics don't count in NCAA career records.)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/sports/gatech/1102/13gtfoot.html

If the bowl game would count I think he would get it.

I think the coaches held the offense back in the 2nd Half yesterday so he could set the record at Uga :-).

Originally posted by cyclejacket:
I think the coaches held the offense back in the 2nd Half yesterday so he could set the record at Uga :-).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
laugh.gif

Law-bee, I believe GTT is correct, I saw an article stating this year is the first year stats in a bowl game will count toward individual records.

Law-bee, I was upset yesterday because we could have turned it on and gotten more scores. This record is very important for Manget and Tech. It would have been well worth the risk to open up the offense to give Manget more attempts at extra points.

I am sure his teammates felt this way too and felt let down, because the coaching effort was not there to emphasize this effort. I am still not against retaining Gailey, but he sure is making it harder for me to defend him each week that passes.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Law-bee, I believe GTT is correct, I saw an article stating this year is the first year stats in a bowl game will count toward individual records.

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks. Didn't think I was dreaming. I've hunted for that article. SHEESH. It's like putting two socks in the dryer, then only one comes out. The sock monster ate the sock. Now the article monster ate the 'NCAA records counting in bowl' article.
tongue.gif

Law, I believe the rules have changed regarding records. Bowl games use to not count. Believe they do now. I'm looking for rule now.

Know what you mean though. Have no chance if we don't get it together on offense. We should have had 38 or 35 points. That's 4 or 5 TD's and extra points in the first half alone of yesterdays game. We could have gotten a few scores in second half without really getting too wild or crazy with fun and fun offense. We didn't get it done in the second half of FSU on O side. Been several times our O has just not gotten it done in second half. UVA played game is an example.

Luke's got a chance, but the O has got to help him out!

Go Jackets!

You know, I think it would be great for Luke to get the record, it would give him something else great to remember from his college career. But I don't know why it's particularly important. I mean nobody remembers who currently holds the record. It won't help a bit in his pro career, they want to know about FG distance and accuracy. I hope we score enough against Ugag and in a bowl for him to get it. But if he doesn't, it won't take anything away from his career at Tech.

NCJacket, it would be another record held by a GT athlete in the annals of the NCAA. It would also be important to Manget to know he holds the record. It would also be important to Manget's kids in the future to know their Dad holds the record.

It will be important for all Tech fans as bragging rights for that stastic. It would be important to all of the players that have played with Manget over the four year period. It will be important to the children of all the players that have played with Manget. Anytime the record came up on TV, some player could say, "I played with him at GT.

So, it does have some importance to many if he breaks the record.

wink.gif

I agree with lawbee. And it would be good for Georgia Tech.

I really do not understand how an aggessive offense could have threatened the game. It would have been good practice for Bilbo and it would have been good practice for the offense in preparing for Georgia.

Undoubtedly, we would have scored some points with an aggressive offense - does that mean that Gailey thinks an aggessive offense could have allowed Duke to score three defensive touchdowns? I don't get it.

I don't have a lot of confidence in our offense, but apparently Gailey has less.

ahosisee, don't get me wrong I wish he would get it. My point is that whether he does of doesn't he's had a great career, scoring leader for Tech and maybe no missed xpts for his 4 years. Whether the team he plays for scores enough TDs for him to set the record has nothing to do with him, he's just in the right or wrong place.

It's like Eddie Lee's single game rushing record. It was cool when he had it, although no one knew but us. When he was passed it was no big deal. BTW I bet you can't tell me who holds the record now without looking it up.

NCJacket, you are right, I don't know who holds it now, but I would probably remember if Manget breaks the record, at least for a few days.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

Law-bee, I was upset yesterday because we could have turned it on and gotten more scores. This record is very important for Manget and Tech. It would have been well worth the risk to open up the offense to give Manget more attempts at extra points.

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It would have been worth the risk of losing the game just to give Manget a better shot at the record? Are you nuts!?!? Maybe you and I think differently; you'd rather lose the Duke game and ensure Manget gets the record rather than winning, while I'm of the mind that I do whatever it takes to win, regardless of my (or anyone's) indivdual record.

Play to win, not play to set individual records. BIG TEAM, little me.

Back