MARTA vs. Tailgating conspiracy theory

SolicitorJacket

Varsity Lurker
I floated this idea last year when the AA surprised us with the "new and improved" parking plan...IIRC, it was met with general skepticism at the time. Thought I'd throw it out there again to see if 12 months has changed anyone's mind.

Basically, I get the feeling that MARTA and MARTA $$$ is somehow connected to the way Ma Tech has decided to handle the tailgating and gameday parking.

I base this on several factors:

1) The ever increasing cost and requirements to park on game days. My understanding (and I know I could be wrong) is that a higher giving level is being required for some spots this year and the cost has jumped from 35 bucks for the pass to 65. However, the biggest new hoop is the drop from availability of 6 reserved spots down to two.
The lots which were newly restricted last year were rarely full on gamedays (O'Keefe and AMC chief among them) whereas they had been full in years past. It defies all economic sense to take an item that is exhibiting a surplus and lower the availability while raising the price. That is, unless the real $$$ are coming from a source that has a competing interest....ie MARTA.

2) The amount of advertising that bleeds over between Tech and MARTA. It far exceeds the amount given to any other team (pro or college) in the area. In addition to our Interstate matrix board flashing the MARTA logo every 10 secs, we have announcement after announcement at the games about using MARTA. Now I see there are voluminous amounts of buscards that talk about Gridiron not Gridlock and feature a Tech player on the picture. Compare the amount of stuff we hear about using MARTA for the Tech games in comparison to the Falcons or the Braves. In fact, it seems that Arthur Blank has gone above and beyond to try to create as much of a game day atmosphere as you can get down in the Trench. Part of that is seemingly acquiescing to the fact that football=tailgating. That attitude has paid off with great dividends. Tech has taken the exact opposite tact, the results should be obvious in time.

3) The method in which the parking changes are being made is indicative of a measured push toward a wholesale shift. We all remember the 3 hour letter and the stink that was raised as a result. Well now, year by year it seems, the AA is creating an atmosphere that is less and less conducive to the type of tailgating experience we had been trying to encourage of late. Instead of creating a firestorm by instituting draconian parking laws (Lots policed and won't open until 2 hours before. No RV's, strictly enforced open container laws, only select lots open), they have instead chosen to slide it all in so that every year it's a little more hassle, but without really bringing the hammer down at once. Instead of killing tailgating with a swift blow to the head, they instead are slowly poisoning it.

But why? We must remember who we are dealing with at this point. The GTAA is notorious for ham-fisted attempts at fishing for the big bucks (See also enhanced seating) at the expense of the "little guy fan" and tradition. Keeping all these factors in mind, it leads me to the conclusion that there must be $$$ involved in it somewhere....and by the character and timing of the restrictions along with the conspicuously chummy relations between the two, I would hazard a guess that the reason our gameday experience is being compromised can be traced back to MARTA.

Very, very good post. Well thought out and definitely makes one go "hmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Is Dave Braine somewhere on the grassy knoll?

SJ,

I love it!

Go Jackets! Ride MARTA.........
rolleyes.gif

I agree - excellent and informative post. Unfortunately it goes to show you what the AA thinks of the fans and what their needs and wants are. Tailgating and NOT taking Marta is THE COLLEGE EXPERIENCE! Taking Marta constitutes a lot less of the experience and money flowing into the Marta cofers.

You take away a lot of the game day energy, spirit and excitement with no tailgating and more Marta traffic! I can understand some folks wanting to go that route but not the majority.

Well thought out analysis.

My interpretation of the MARTA push is a result of the Institute making a "visible" effot to co-exist with Metro Atlanta. I thought it was more driven by the whole "get out of your car and use public transportation"/improved air quality since the city was on the EPA's list to lose federal funding.

It's becoming painfully obvious the AA doesn't have enough or consistent revenue streams.
Perhaps if an A-T contribution were required to buy tickets things would be better.

Guess we're not very close to the ideal 501c3 model.

I may get ripped for this, but the few times I have taken the train from Perimeter Mall were actually not too bad. Get off at North Avenue, eat at Varsity, go to game. First time I tried it was a couple of years ago for the Thursday NC game. Coming from work with afternoon traffic, we just knew that getting there and parking would have been impossible.

I take Marta all the time. Bring my liquor and food on the train, meet my friends at their tailgate and then stumble home. I don't even need to worry about sobering up to drive home. Personally, I think Marta rocks for gameday. If everyone took Marta tailgating would kinda suck (hard to bring all the gear)... but I don't know why everyone bashes Marta. If it works for you then take it, if not then don't whine about it... you don't have to take it.

good points. i think marta is GREAT for roundball games, which don't involve elaborate tailgating and half of them are on weekdays.

marta is good for thursday night games as well.

TK makes a great point. if it works for you, use it. if it doesn't, it doesn't.

i don't understand one thing however. this year, we'll get huge crowds from auburn and ga fans. some suggest that there will be more ga fans than tech fans in bds. where will they park if tech fans can't find spots? lol

suggestion to opposition .. take Marta! LOL. fuggetabout tailgating at Tech. tailgating doesn't exist .. it's a myth. whatever little exists is being killed slowly and painfully.

Throw me in the category with those who believe it should be a little of both.

I can see most of the tailgaters wanting to bring their vehicles and having adequate space for same.

My son and I, Griffin/McDonough drive to the Airport, ride Marta to the BellSouth Building, and walk under the expressway to the games.

Marta works well for us.

Father Time

QUOTE BY ylojk8:
"i don't understand one thing however. this year, we'll get huge crowds from auburn and ga fans. some suggest that there will be more ga fans than tech fans in bds. where will they park if tech fans can't find spots? lol"
Dedicated UGA and Auburn fans arrive EARLY and leave late. They will park in the emergency lanes of the downtown connector if they have to. Do not try to seperate rabid, redneck football fans from their beloved school of choice. They will be there...and you will know it like fingernails on a chalkboard.
BOO

When not tailgating, here is my deal. Marta from Brookhaven or Chamblee early. Head over to JR Crickets for ice cold ones and the chance to mix it up with opposing fans. They do not know where else to go, but its a good place anyway. If you haven't tried this, give it a shot.

My only problem with Marta is getting out of there afterwards. The Marta people have yet to realize that there are higher demands on game day
Saturdays. Especially for late afternoon or evening games.

The crowds leaving were a problem for the Thursday games since it was so late. For Saturday, I learned to hang around and see the sights for a little while before trying to hit the train. I now even take MARTA to the Falcon games since parking around there is $20 and up on gamedays.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
QUOTE BY ylojk8:
"i don't understand one thing however. this year, we'll get huge crowds from auburn and ga fans. some suggest that there will be more ga fans than tech fans in bds. where will they park if tech fans can't find spots? lol"
Dedicated UGA and Auburn fans arrive EARLY and leave late. They will park in the emergency lanes of the downtown connector if they have to. Do not try to seperate rabid, redneck football fans from their beloved school of choice. They will be there...and you will know it like fingernails on a chalkboard.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL i see. dedicated fans from rival schools can come in and have a ball of a time at tech.

however, dedicated fans from tech cannot come in and have a relatively good time at tech.

you guys are disenchanted by a lot of things going on, i am really disenchanted by our fan base.

Since I grew up rooting for two different college football teams, I have two different types of college football experiences.

Clemson- we would get up early stop at this place along 1-85 and get some fried Chicken, meet my uncle & family at a pre determined location and then go to his tailgate spot. Then go to the game, then come back and tailgate some more.

Tech- we would ride Marta, go the Varsity, then to the game, and then back to the Varsity.

I never really compared the two just looked at it as you did one thing for Clemson another for Tech. I liked both. Tailgating is great! So is the atmosphere at the Varsity before a game. I would not want to give up either!

Back