Master B's practice report

law_bee

Dodd-Like
Master B\'s practice report

http://pub210.ezboard.com/fthehivefrm1.showMessage?topicID=11368.topic

March 14, 2003

Practice Report (Spring)

Well, I can tell you right off that the mood of practice this spring was noticeably different from last season's. There was not as much goofing off and jawing by the players, they seemed to have a little more "back to business" attitude. There seemed to be a little more sense of urgency, IMO. Also different is the amount of input Coach Gailey had in practice. Last year he was letting the coaches coach more and he would step in occasionally and provide some teaching. Now he is right in the middle of it all. He is much more intense and much more involved. Also watching the new coach, Coach Geis, he really seems like a perfectionist. He is very into detail it seems from my first impressions.

It is tough to get a real good feel for what is going on out there when the players are just in helmets and shorts but I did take away a few impressions. For one thing, many players still threw their bodies around as if they did have pads on. They were popping some for not having any pads.

As for all of the talk about position changes, some happened and some did not. Here are some of the players in question:
• Brezina still at DT
• Dennis Davis still at CB
• ACE at TB
• Eddie Lee Ivery changed to WR, that was a surprise
• Brian Johnson to TE but played in the backfield too
• Dixon to FB
• Lawston to MLB
• Tidwell-Neal to Guard
• Koon to OL
• Tarquinio to TE

Also there was some jumbling of the numbers. Here are number changes that I can remember:
• Reuben Houston #9, his old HS number
• Al Pena #14, it was thought that he would be #1
• Dawan Landry #20
• ACE #28
• Brezina #50
• Koon #71
• Tarquinio #84

On the QB situation, it looks like Bilbo will start out on the first team, then Suggs, then Camp or Pena. Pena looked to have a nice arm but seemed to have first day jitters. He did not look too decisive when making his throws but I did see some good potential in him. Physically he looks great. He is a big guy that just looks like a QB. I am sure he'll get into the mix during spring drills.

At WR, Fred was back to his old ways making nice catch after nice catch. He caught balls in traffic well and we just as solid as can be. Lavon had some troubles today getting the handle on the ball and was a little banged up. ELI showed that he has some good hands. Bridges had a pretty solid day too.

ACE and Sampson both looked very good at RB. Sampson broke what would have been a long one. Both ran with good confidence today. I talked to ACE afterwards and he said that he'll be a TB not FB. He looked a little lighter and quicker than last season. I think the ankle injury is totally fine now. Hatch was not in drills but says he'll return on Wednesday when they go to pads.

Dorsey also seemed to have lightened up. And as I have said before, Leon is sitting this spring out.

I did not get to pay too much attention to defense today because of where I was watching from, but I did see a couple of things. I don't believe that Gathers is cleared for contact yet but he did the drills. He was so fast. He made it back to the QB more than anyone else. So it was good to see him looking like his old self.

At LB Kingi McNair looked really good. He closed well and showed some nice speed. If he can fly around like that and tackle well in the open field, we may have a player on our hands. Green also looked good at LB.

Reuben & Cox handled first team duties at corner. Davis and Gilliam followed. Davis looked really comfortable out there. He could really contribute there this year if he stays at the position. I was impressed with his instincts out there.

Also for the first time, I really saw Darius Williams shine at practice. He was very prominent in drills. I don't know what kind of blocker he is but he sure looked good in the passing game. What a nice surprise it would be to get some good contributions out of him this season!

Like I said, there was not a whole lot to take away from practice but I did want to share some of my initial impressions with you 5. I'll hopefully be back out there tomorrow when they practice at 11 AM.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Re: Master B\'s practice report

Thanks Law_Bee things sound good Master B always does a great job i hope this team comes out of spring fired up and ready to roll!!!!!!!!
blue.gif

Thanks. Should be an interesting spring.

Thank you for the report. I hope the weathers nice next weekend so I can ride my Harley down to practice.

stateline, don't rub it in so much! Hope to see ELI jr. do well, it would definitely make his dad proud!

drinking.gif

Great report by MasterB! Thanks for posting it here Law. Was there for last half of practice. Agree with all MasterB stated.

Things get more interesting when the pads go on which will be Wednesday.

Could definitely see a different attitude from coaches and players for the first practice. Even though this was a noncontact practice there was a level in intensity I liked seeing on the first day.

From the get go last year in spring Gordon C. really caught my eye in practice. This year ACE really stood out at TB to me the first day. He doesn't look like the same player. He looks more like a TB. He's trimmer, but very solid which showed in his quickness and speed.

Had to smile seeing Eddie Lee catching the ball.
grin.gif

Two favorite plays:

Bilbo drops back from under center and throws about 10-15 yard pass to "Freddie" on the right side as he's curling. It was a bang bang play with Houston breaking on the ball fast from behind. He's diving over the top of Smith. Contact right as the ball gets there. Super catch by Freddie coming back to the ball. That Ruben really showed some quickness and speed to break for the ball. Don't know how Smith caught it.

Can't recall who was QB, but the WR were covered. The ball goes short over the middle to a back. Throw right in there, but McNair comes flying in knocking the ball away with no contact. Coach "Brick" yells, "That's ALL ACC." Really was a super play. That McNair can really run. Interesting looking at how Fox has bulked up and leading that bunch on the field with D. Smith sitting out. He's clapping and firing up that D constantly.

At TE we've got bodies. Brian Johnson was used a lot like JP was last year where they had him at HB/TE. Guys like Cooper and Williams are really big bodies and run well. We'll find out about there catching and blocking abilities as things progress. In the time I was there saw some dropped balls on tough catches that could have been made.

On the DL thought Omar Billy had bulked up the most at DT. Would like to know his actual weight now. We showed a lot of quickness at DE. Nice to see Gathers showing that quick first step and getting to QB. Noticed Mathews, Henderson, and Gathers flying to the ball a lot.

Dorsey has trimmed down. Shows in his movement too.
smile.gif

Anxious to see how Pena grows and gains confidence. He's got a bigger physical build from pictures and film of him in HS. He looked tentative the first day which isn't surprising. Can tell what a good athlete he is. A lot of teaching going on. Took note that when I was there didn't see but a few plays were the WR and QB weren't on the same page. The timing isn't there though yet.

Was really great to see the team in action. Really looking forward to pads going on. Will be able to tell a lot more.

Go Jackets!

Master B or anyone who knows is LeRon Lee still playing football or did he have to give it up because of his sickness?
rolleyes.gif

Hey thanks for that added information GTT man i'm starting to feel real good about this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all your inputs and the great report. This is the only REAL reason I own a laptop!

Originally posted by techrod:
Thanks everyone for all your inputs and the great report. This is the only REAL reason I own a laptop!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well, to me it's a great reason!

Thanks Law Bee and GTT. Here's to hoping that CG stays involved in every facet. Hearing about the football was great. Hearing about the intensity, starting with Chan is wonderful!!

Chan states that this team will be tougher physically and mentally. If he gets this done, his team will also have the discipline it so sorely lacked a year ago.

I have never met the man, but I believe that CCG is a good human being with a great deal of pride. I have a real good feeling that this squad will be hard nosed, and will make me proud. Wins and losses not withstanding.

By the way, what did the haircuts look like?

Back