Master B's Sunday practice report

Re: Master B\'s Sunday practice report

I hope that you will be able to link the reports, because even though I subscibe to Insiders I can't get to the hive board like I used to. I have tried emailing Insiders but to no avail. Now I have a new email address so I guess they will never get that straight now! I wish someone would give me telephone number and contact person. I feel I would have more luck that way. By the way I got my Recruiting yearbook from them yesterday. Thanks to anyone who would try to help in my problem.

Appreciate all the information on practices. Maybe Stingtalk will have some of our posters visiting Spring practice and can fill us in on any items that might be left out by MasterB.

I feel sure Stingtalk must have at least one insider at the practices.

wink.gif

All reports much appreciated!!!!

techrod, shoot me an email (r_w_bass@hotmail.com) I'll see if i can help with your problem.

ylojk8, It was good to meet you yesterday. I just now put together who you are. When GTT told me your name, in my mind I had it spelled out completely and it didn't really register until now.

law bee, thanks for linking up my post over here!

Originally posted by ylojk8:
nice report GTT. i did go "OHHHHH" at that play didn't i!

it was nice to meet you and masterB and sleestack yesterday. beautiful weather to practice too. glad they postponed the practice from sat to yesterday.

i watched practice but my eyes are "untrained". maybe 4-5 years of watching more practice and more informed football in general and i will be able to report stuff like GTT and masterB do.

only little things to add is ...

buddy geis. he was working his tail off with the QBs and the receivers. he was in their ears all the time.

and ACE looked like a tailback and not like a fullback.

tenuta has an overwhelming presence on the field.

the whole team seems intense and is preparing to take on the auburns of the world to prove a point to them and to our chicken little fans.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Was great to meet you as well. I'm glad you mentioned Coach Buddy Guess. I agree. Glad we got to meet him after practice. Liked his personality.

Another thing we haven't mentioned is Tony Hollings. When I walked up to practice he was on the stationary bike. Spoke with him breafly. He's all smiles as always and very polite. He livens things up in practice during the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills. At other times he's always walking around the practice field with a ball in his hands. Seems to be moving very well. At different times you see him go into a motion of running, but he'd stop. ylojk8 asked if he can run yet. Was a good question from watching him move around. Don't know what stage he is in his rehab. Really nice to see him at practices the way his is. Blessings to him in getting back all the way.

Originally posted by techrod:
I hope that you will be able to link the reports, because even though I subscibe to Insiders I can't get to the hive board like I used to. I have tried emailing Insiders but to no avail. Now I have a new email address so I guess they will never get that straight now! I wish someone would give me telephone number and contact person. I feel I would have more luck that way. By the way I got my Recruiting yearbook from them yesterday. Thanks to anyone who would try to help in my problem.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techrod,

I could remove your old account so you could remake
it with the new email address. Just drop me an
email at crackerjacket@gojackets.com with your old
account name and I'll verify that I see it.

I get excited just by reading what you guys are reporting. These are wonderful reports.

Amen! To get us excited about non-contact spring stuff shows that you guys know what you're talking about and that we're just a little too obsessed with GT football
wink.gif
Oh yeah, and the coaches sound like they know what they're doing!

Keep em coming!! We'll eat em up with a spoon.

Techrod, I had the same problem when I changed E-Mail adress but got it corrected by insiders by E-Mailing Grassy:

grassy@grassy.com

This guy will get it straight for you. I first tried Newberg and his buddy but they both referred me to grassy and it was taken care of
quickly. I hope this helps.

Nice to see spring practice is underway! I have a few questions I hope can be answered...How does the teams strength and conditioning look? How about gassers at the end of practice? Also, if it can be answered...How did the dicipline and leadership look out there so far. How does Nix appear to be working with the Quarterbacks? I am not as concerned about the players as individuals out there because I could see the talent and speed on the field last year is very much above average. Can improvements in the way the coaches are conducting practice be visual to all as opposed to last year? I heard plenty of comments from yall last year concerning drills that was lax and long hair and earrings and such. The tone for the fall has to be established at the very start of the spring. Conditioning and diciplined practices right now could go a long way to making my fall predictions foolish.
pat.gif

stateline,

We're only two practices in. Both these practices have been with no contact and without pads. With that being said I'll try to tell you from my perspective what I've seen so far. Think you have some excellent questions.

Strength and condition: Again we haven't been knocking pads on pads yet, but you can see how we look physically. Can also see if guys are sucking wind.

RB to me stands out in physical stature as compared to last year with the same guys. ACE is just not the same player. He's a lean physical speciman. Looks more similar to Tony Hollings of last year than ACE of last year body wise. That's not to puff him up to the greatness of Tony. That's just how he looks. Sampon has bulked up as have the likes of Dixon and Brian Johnson. All of these guys show great energy. While ACE had some body fat and athletism last year, he's lean muscle now. Looks very powerful. It shows when he takes the ball.

Our OL is more fit. I'm not sure of the lbs of each guy, but were're in better shape. Is not doubt in my mind. Dorsey is so much trimmer and more solid. His foot work shows it other than just the way he stands and walks. Has obviously worked hard. From watching two practices I'd say we're much quicker on OL. I don't know about strength yet, because they haven't been able to hit people. Guys like Wallace, Andy Tidwell-Neal,and Hunnycutt look bigger to me. That's going to be a real good battle for RG. As a OL unit compared to last year I'd say we're bigger even though Dorsey is closer to 315-315 to last years playing weight. (honestly don't know what his weight is.)

At DL the same guys from last year are in the mix other than Koon at Guard. No doubt we're bigger across other than Gathers. Again I don't know any of these guys playing lbs at this point. Omar Billy and Parker have put on a lot of especilly upper body weight. Malone has as well although by the seeing eye doesn't seem to be as much. Of the younger guys Mathews is much more lean. I can recall his first day at true freshman practice last fall. He's not the same young man as then when he couldn't hardly hold his head up doing drills.

It's only two days into spring without pads. Very easy to see players look a lot different. It's obvious a lot of work has taken place between bowl game and now with respect to strength and conditioning.

Gassers at the end of practice: There have been no gassers at end of practice. All I can say is there has been some extra work.
wink.gif

Dicipline and Leadership: We're only two days in. There hasn't been any "football" hitting yet. Been a lot of teaching going on with the players showing a very business like approach. Lasts year there was a lot of "jawing" going on between O and D. Not seeing that this year. No rubbing in of good plays on either side in early practices. Things have been crips although execution hasn't been good early. Horns sounds and it's on to the next drill pronto like. There hasn't been waisted time. We'll see more when things progress. Although this is football. It's all football. This is part of the progression to making a team. There have been no signs of slacking off. No signs of players needing to get in line. This has been a very workman like business approach that's been intense when they go to 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills.

Nixwith QB's: Nix is a very intense guy. After every rep a qb takes he's teaching and talking about details. Can often hear him yell, "sell it!" when a qb is faking a pitch then moving to throw. Things like that. You're question was, "How does he look?" He's working hard to get these qbs to lead this team. He and Guess seem to be about perfection. We've got a long ways to go till first game in Fall. A lot of work to do. To me the coaches look on a mission. Nix included. Guys like Ace, Freddie Smith, Curry, Fox, Henderson, and Gathers seem to be on the same mission. "This isn't play time. This is about winning!" ... is the feel. Not that other guys aren't on the same mission. Those are just the ones that stud out in these first noncontact practices. The OL will make it self known when contact starts. Do like the crispness that group comes up to line. They're clapping hands coming out of huddle and coming up to the line like they mean business. Hugh cheers on his guys a lot.

Conducting Practices: All I can say is things look different from last year. It's only two practices. It's a different feel. There is a sense of urgency there. Not waisted time. This is so early. These guys are running around in their undeware at this point. There is an intensity level I like even in shorts. They're going from one drill to another like they mean business. What's visual? Well the formations aren't the same. They focuse on different plays on O. Again it's early on, but I like the workman like attitude and effort all around. Honestly haven't seen a single person dragging or not giving super effort. These guys are here to go to work.

Go Jackets!

Man, this thread was fun, what with all the great reports and the willingness to help me with my problem. Guys i'm going to Florida tomorrow very early in the am, and the first 3 days or so I will be without my laptop, then I will be able to hook back up and I will definately get in touch with you guys that offered to help me. Everything on this thread is much appreciated to the fullest!!!

I was in town last week and caught the Friday practice. God it was good to get back out there and watch these guys again. I had the pleasure of meeting MasterB, TSquared, and a few other guys that I didn't catch there handle names. It was finally good to put a face with the names. I only paid attention to the QB's, WR's, and RB's since those were the positions I played.

QB - For the first day it was pretty good. Some sloppiness, but that is to be expected. I don't think Brian Camp gets enough praise because he doesn't get very many reps in practice. He never seems to mess up, always makes the right reads, and is on the money most of the time. I think he understands the position very well. He is not flashy, and doesn't impress you off the bat. But he rarely makes mistakes. I think he does a good job and am glad he is still out there. Al Pena didn't get a whole lot of reps either, but looked about as good as you could expect a freshman in his first practice to look. He seemed timid a little ( you could really hear it in his cadance), but he does have a decent to good arm and wasn't totally lost. AJ got a few more reps than Camp and Pena. He look the same as last year. Nothing special. Bilbo got the bulk of the reps. He made a few mistakes, including one that was thrown behind Nate that hit Houston in the chest. Curry was open but the ball was behind him. Bilbo got the most praise from the coaches, it seemed, in 7 on 7 when he checked down to his third option. He did this two or three times. It is still amazing at how much of an arm he has. I herd CCG get onto the QB's for trying to throw "900 mph", but that "900 mph" for Bilbo was bringing it down 2 or 3 notches. His arm is unmatched by anything I've seen in college(including Brett Farve at USM, I got to watch a lot of his practices because my brother was on the team when he was there)

The WR's seemed to drop to many, especially when nobody was defending them. Even Freddy dropped a few that should have been caught. Watch out for Nate Curry. He seems to have returned to form of two springs ago when he was absolutly dominating. He is so big and cut I couldn't believe it. He was really fast and cutting on a dime. Once he gets his timing down and concentration down watch out. He has complete control of his body while running route's (in other words he runs very crisp route's). He will be ball'in when the fall hits. Other than that some good, and some bad, but too many drops.

RBs - Ace seem to be on a mission to redshirt Grant next year. His vision seems to be better and you all have heard how he is trimmed down, so I won't go into that. This position needs to be seen in pads before any judgement is brought, but Ace did look very good. Sampson looked very quick too. PJ looked good at times, but put the ball on the ground to many times on swing passes that were catchable in drills and 7 on 7.

That's all folks. Since I am back in Jackson, MS I won't be giving any more reports. I was very sad to read that MasterB's reports will be pay reports sometimes. Since I am a poor law student I can't afford it. But I still appriciate what he does a great deal. Go Jackets!

GTTerrific: Thank you very much for the report. I was hoping to hear something like that. The attitude of everyone involved in the drills will set the tone for the fall. I do believe the gassers are important mentally as well as physically for a football team though. But everything about your leadership and attitude report and the way the practices are being conducted are very encouraging. Thank you again.

mississippi jacket,

Did I meet you Friday?? Believe I may have seen you, but we didn't meet actually. Hate that.

Very good report on practice. Know what you mean about dropped balls. Was a lot better on Sunday. MUCH BETTER. Did see Curry drop a rocket on a short pass from Bilbo. It was HARD, but should have been caught. Other than that Curry was very sharp. Fred caught everything his way. I mean everything. Didn't see one he missed. Now the TE. That's a different story. Have work to do, but that's what Spring is all about.

Go Jackets!

some pics from spring practice last sunday and beesball (in a losing effort) last sunday.

please excuse the obvious amateur behind the lens.

photos

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
GTTerrific: Thank you very much for the report. I was hoping to hear something like that. The attitude of everyone involved in the drills will set the tone for the fall. I do believe the gassers are important mentally as well as physically for a football team though. But everything about your leadership and attitude report and the way the practices are being conducted are very encouraging. Thank you again.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hear ya. That's the kind of questions I had in mind when look at practice. I keep saying it, but when pads go on I'll be looking for those type things. We'll be about to tell more. Things will bumb up a notch or two for sure. Got to thinking after your post. Don't want to talk about formations much online, but have taken notice about how crisp we've been in our movement with the FB, TE, and WR while communicating with QB. Example: Come to set, TE moves to HB, the slot r moves up on line on QB's mark(Can't be there in three WR set with TE on line.) Things like that have been crisp. Not just the talking, but the movement. Same as when OL comes to line after breaking huddle. It's crips and sharp. Little things. No lagging, but moving with purpose like they mean business.

Great report by MasterB as always. Was there yesterday on what was a gorgeous day at Rose Bowl Field. The sun was right in our face on the hill. Reminded me of my days in the east stands on game day at BDS.

The real exciting stuff is watching the 7 on 7 (no lineman) and 11 on 11 drills. Other than that got to watch Tunuta working with assignments and play calling with his D. Have 55 gal drums as OLs and use walk-on players as RBs, WR, and TE. They'd line up according to the Offensive set and when the RB's, TE, and WR moved after the snap of the ball the D would work on covering their assignments.

On the other field the offense was working similarly at the same time

When the horn sounds then they'd work on it with the O and D working against each other on 7 on 7 with live ball.

Horn sounds again and they work on LB and DL plays with similar to what they did with coverages early. Then the horn sounds again. This time the D and 0 come together with 11 on 11 drills.

The O is mixing it up a good bit with run and pass moving the ball all over the field. One thing I was looking for was better exchanges. First practice the ball was on the ground a number of times. There was one bad exchange with center and qb on Sunday. I felt it was much improved.

Could tell Tunuta wasn't happy with run support with DBs and Ss several times. He'd yell, in his own way of putting things
wink.gif
, telling them to play the run. Guess one way of putting it is Coach Tunuta was colorful is his use of words.

Saw the ball going to TE a lot with several dropped balls. After the first two practices were over Coach Robinson had the guys staying working on catching using the ball machine.

Noticed they're using simpler and basic O sets with Pena. While he still looked tentative at times, thought he did look better on Sunday. ylojk8 yelled, "OHHHHH." on one really nice throw he made. That was to Curry who seems to be a man on a mission. Pena when he's on target throws a very catchable pass.
grin.gif

Bilbo made some nice plays. The best being the one MasterB talked about. Was a thing of beauty. Need more of those.

One thing is for sure. We're not seeing nearly as many of the sideline passed early on. Seeing the ball over the middle much more.

Ahhh screen plays! Worked on this a good bit yesterday. On one Daniels got through the entire D untouched. The offensive guys were all fired up cheering for PJ. Really like the way our OL moved on that play. The defenders were there, but O had everyone blocked. Be interesting to see plays like that when it's full contact.

Really impressed so far in practice with "Freddie" Smith who isn't jawing at practice like the past. He's very business like. Looks very focused, and I do believe Houston isn't looking forward to seeing practice film of a few plays from yesterday. Two others that have caught my eye on O is Curry and ACE. Know all these guys are skill dudes, but that's all you can really tell until the pads and real hitting starts on most plays

On D to me you can't help but noticed Henderson. He's playing like he wants to start at DE. Without a doubt the fastest guy out of his stance on the field is Greg Gathers. Just really happy to see it too. Spoke with his father. Hope he doesn't mind me posting here about it. Greg's got a doc appointment the 24th of this month. I just wish him the best. His father who is a very level headed great guy sounds pleased. By the way Greg's on schedule to graduate in January of this year.

Fox is the man at LB. Seeing Brown and Lawston in the middle with Green, McNair, "Tugboat", and Fox on the outside. Did see Brown on one play on outside as well. McNair is a young dude that I really like a lot. See a lot of speed and aggressiveness. We'll see about football speed when pads and real contact starts.

Someone had asked about I Perfection. Looks like guys like D. Davis and Gillium are ahead of him at this point. Davis has a very nice pass break up on Sunday. There was another time when someone got deep on him, but the ball was a bit short giving him time to break on ball. Still could have been caught, but he made a very good play on ball giving the WR no chance.

There were some passes over the middle where we watched Landry back off in no contact. With no pads on that's what they're suppose to do. He was there for the big hit. Landry looks very aggressive. Can tell he's ready to bring the wood. Now when the Big Cooper get's loose back there things might get interesting. There might be some interesting collisions. By the way, yes, Cooper has the speed to get deep. I believe he's going to be very much in the mix of things come Fall. If Cooper had wings the size of his arms he could glid from Buckhead to BDS with no problem. That guy has some serious long arms.

It's still great to be out there, but we'll be able to tell a great deal more when pads go on.

If anyone has any questions shoot away.

Go Jackets!

nice report GTT. i did go "OHHHHH" at that play didn't i!

it was nice to meet you and masterB and sleestack yesterday. beautiful weather to practice too. glad they postponed the practice from sat to yesterday.

i watched practice but my eyes are "untrained". maybe 4-5 years of watching more practice and more informed football in general and i will be able to report stuff like GTT and masterB do.

only little things to add ...

buddy geis. he was working his tail off with the QBs and the receivers. he was in their ears all the time.

and ACE looked like a tailback and not like a fullback.

tenuta has an overwhelming presence on the field.

the whole team seems intense and is preparing to take on the auburns of the world to prove a point to them and to our chicken little fans.

Back