Mediocre Pro on the HOF ballot

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I imagine some voters will penalize him for not playing long enough, even though I'm sure those same voters, if asked, think he would have continued producing for several more years.

Yes, I'm getting indignant over hypothetical voters.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Have to figure Manning and Woodson get in first time; not sure CJ is at their level. May take a few years, but making the ballot in year 1 is a strong indicator that he’ll get in fairly quickly. Always surprised at some of the great names that haven’t gotten in despite being on the ballot multiple times.

NFL and MLB HOF — which is tougher to crack?

05GTCorndog

Staff member
I have a hard time seeing him as a 1st ballot HOFer. he will obviously get in at some point, but I would certainly penalize him for his longevity if I were a voter.

He is #32 on the all-time yards list, 47th in catches, 23rd in TDs. 2 more years would've easily put him top 10-15 in those categories. The case for 1st ballot would be a lot more compelling had he played a couple more years.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I noticed this year that it looks like we’ve already got a spot reserved for him on the revamped NFL HOF display in BDS.

JRjr

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Yeah it sucks because he’s right behind Rice in my books as the 2nd best receiver to play the game. But it’s fair that he should be penalized for retiring early.

Think he could have made a run at Rice if he had stuck around. Wouldn’t have caught the all-time records with that frame, but could have accumulated a ton of the single-season marks and finished Top 5ish in the all-times. Might’ve been enough to make some favor his career over Rice’s twilight accumulation seasons.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah it sucks because he’s right behind Rice in my books as the 2nd best receiver to play the game. But it’s fair that he should be penalized for retiring early.

Think he could have made a run at Rice if he had stuck around. Wouldn’t have caught the all-time records with that frame, but could have accumulated a ton of the single-season marks and finished Top 5ish in the all-times. Might’ve been enough to make some favor his career over Rice’s twilight accumulation seasons.
Just imagine if he had a non-garbage QB passing to him, like say Joe Montana

RamblinWreck09

Greatly appreciated amongst mid 30s Turkish males
This.

His numbers would have been a lot higher with a different QB. He'll still get it but not on his first time.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
True. But also imagine if he wasn’t on a ööööty team that was playing from behind all the time. Think Detroit set some passing attempt records a few of those seasons. So that helped his stats.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
Any other superstar NFL WR would have pitched a damn hissy fit until he got on a team with playoff potential, but Calvin just put his head down and did work. He should be a 1st rounder just for being such a humble and good human being If nothing else.

and speaking of ”Overrated” what happened to BarrellOfRum anyway?

The Champ

Dodd-Like
This.

His numbers would have been a lot higher with a different QB. He'll still get it but not on his first time.
Not really. His QB always racks up big stats; if he plays long enough he’s going to finish top 5 in every volume- based passing category

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
They saw his Dancing with the Stars performance and had to get him on the ballot ASAP

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
True. But also imagine if he wasn’t on a ööööty team that was playing from behind all the time. Think Detroit set some passing attempt records a few of those seasons. So that helped his stats.
My first thought too.

Also, Montana had a career 63.2% completion percentage (23rd all time) and a 92.3 passer rating (16th). Stafford is sitting at 62.6% (28th) and 89.9 (21st). They aren't as far off as you may think. Not saying Stafford is Montana, but Calvin could have been in a MUCH worse position than having him at QB.

FWIW Stafford is 2nd all time in pass attempts per game, with 37.7.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
I have a hard time seeing him as a 1st ballot HOFer. he will obviously get in at some point, but I would certainly penalize him for his longevity if I were a voter.

He is #32 on the all-time yards list, 47th in catches, 23rd in TDs. 2 more years would've easily put him top 10-15 in those categories. The case for 1st ballot would be a lot more compelling had he played a couple more years.
It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistics Accumulators. That is why Gayle Sayers and Terrell Davis are in, and Henry Ellard and Fred Taylor aren't.

One word:

Megatron.

05GTCorndog

Staff member
It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistics Accumulators. That is why Gayle Sayers and Terrell Davis are in, and Henry Ellard and Fred Taylor aren't.

One word:

Megatron.
Terrell Davis was also on the Hall of Fame ballot for nine years before making it in 2017.