Message To Braine

Father WASP

Flats Noob
OK, you screwed up. We can accept that, but admit it. Some advice: as his boss, call him in for a review and go over the following:

(1) First, we had enough of the PR disaster when O'Leary was here. It is your job to help sell this program, and it starts with what every coach does after every game, talk with the media. Next time you come whimpering home don't expect me to lock the doors and post security guards to keep you from talking. The people who pay for tickets and support this program are called fans, and you will talk to them.

(2) Hire some decent assistants and get rid of this bunch tomorrow. I know it was late, but when I interviewed you I thought you knew somebody, somewhere who knew how to coach and motivate. You assembled a rag-tag group, led by a Dookie, and our players deserve better.

(3) Don't ever lose to Georgia again 51-7 and embarass us like that. Read "Dodd's Luck" or some other books as a homework assignment about the tradition and history of this place. You may not honor that, but there are a few people around who still do. In fact, let's be clear, if you don't beat Georgia once every three years or close to I'll fire your ass for that alone.

(4) Clean this team up. Let's at least look the part. Even at Georgia, the place we used to make fun of, the team gets off the bus, looks as though they've showered, are well dressed and appears to appreciate the fans. I know we don't have many fans left but let's get some discipline and look like Georgia Tech.

(5) Rent a Playstation 2 and play Madden football and practice clock management and play selection from now until August. This is a way you can learn at your level in the comfort of your living room. This is not a job where you learn on the fly. And hey, I'm talking about calling timeouts for the other team and throwing passes in your own end with 14 seconds left in the half.

(6) I've arranged for you to go watch Paul Hewitt's practice and have lunch with him afterwards. I want him to talk to you about getting the most out of an inherited team by motivating and coaching them.

(7) I've cut this million bucks I'm paying you in half. If you want this job, take the other half a million and go out an hire some coaches who can save your ass. If you can then do what you should have done this year and start improving, we will talk again about a raise.

(8) No need to interview for a strength coach, I fired ours this morning. I'd like to see players like Dorsey get in shape and players like our linebackers get up above 210 by the time they graduate. The other guy failed.

(9) Unless you want me like your buddy Jerry Jones looking over your shoulder during the game, don't ever punt again at midfield to run out the clock vs. Duke.

(10)Ive done most of the talking. If you want this job, you better look me in the eye and tell me you want it with some passion. I can pay a million bucks to alot of people to get what we got this year.

Now, if I were the President, I'd give Mr. Braine a chance to have such a conversation, and if it didn't, maybe one is in order for him. This institution may pride itself on women's basketball, and that is all well and good, but let's quit demphasizing football.

Unbelievable post FatherW!! I just only have one wish this morning. I wish you were our athletic director. What disturbs me the most about yesterday was what you described so well. Half of our players looked like they just rolled out of the sack. These hairdos look like crap and make our team look rag-tag. That is a direct reflection of our wonderful coach CG. This pro, Falcons, no disclipine game sucks out loud. I am more than tired of it. What are you doing up so early this morning, FW?? Happy New Year.
drinking.gif

Hey, Padre, can you get your post to D. Braine? It is a good one!

The thing that scares me the most is that DB will NOT do a thing! I'm afraid that his pride will get in the way of GT fb. Tsk, tsk...

Very honest look at our situation! I'm printing a copy and sending it to Braine in the morning. He will now have something new to line his trashcan from me.
BOO

Father Wasp, I have just one question for you. If you are so darn smart why aren't you a millionair, a world reknown coach and above all GOD?
puke.gif

Father Wasp you are right on the money with your theoretical discussion Braine should have with Gailey. Unfortunately, the facts are, this will never happen. Braine was/is so enamored with Gailey and his resume that he thinks he is in the same class as Bobby Dodd as a coach. You think Braine is going to admit he made this big of a misjudgement. No way. The Leadership is going to stand behind their choice and ride it out to the bitter end. Whether that is 2 years, 3 years or possible even the magical 4th year where he has his own players, you can count on Gailey being our Head Coach.

After all Chan is a nice man, and I mean that without sarcasim. That makes it even more difficult to face the facts and cut your losses. So we are in a pickle. The fans of the program will just have to suffer through. This is just really unfortuate for everyone involved.

I think our Coaching problem is compounded by a lack of leadership on the field. None of our players, and I love them all, have stepped up to take leadership positions. I think our only hope for the next few years is if we find another Matt Uremovich, Joe Hamilton or Joe Burns who kick their teammates ass and get them playing hard.

You know this is a lot like business, without great leadership mediocrity and eventually bankruptcy comes along. I'm afraid we are heading for Chapter 11 with this crew.

I still Love the Jackets! God Bless them everyone.

Go Jackets!

Oldfoggy - its millionaire and renowned. If you are going to belittle people without facts, at least spell like it is a Tech board and not an FSU or UGAG board.

Sorry about the spelling I was just a little more than angry about all the negative posts here, I guess I wasn't thinking about my spelling. I too am very unhappy about the game yesterday and feel had DB been given more of a chance during the season we may have seen a different DB yesterday. Besides, I wasn't belittling anyone just stating my feeling about some of the people who post feeling like they know everything about everything.

Originally posted by Father WASP:

(5) Rent a Playstation 2 and play Madden football and practice clock management and play selection from now until August. This is not a job where you learn on the fly. And hey, I'm talking about calling timeouts for the other team and throwing passes in your own end with 14 seconds left in the half.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for shedding some light on why so many of us feel like we're experts on the subject.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Father WASP:

(5) Rent a Playstation 2 and play Madden football and practice clock management and play selection from now until August. This is not a job where you learn on the fly. And hey, I'm talking about calling timeouts for the other team and throwing passes in your own end with 14 seconds left in the half.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for shedding some light on why so many of us feel like we're experts on the subject.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL, gnats!

Somebody pinch me. Finally a post that is not calling for Gailey's removal but still states we need to clean up. Great...no, spectacular post Father Wasp. BDG, are you seriously sending one to him?

I say dend it to DB, but what are your expectations? Is it time to start talking with our wallets, especially regarding A-T, and in conjunction with the O'L buyout?

Old Foggy - this is not a "negative" post. But if you wish to classify it as such, please accept my definition of "negative". My definition is not instilling a disciplined regime, not preparing a team properly while being paid a million dollars to do so. All the while we go to a floundering bowl game and play before less people than we did in the spring scrimmage at Marist. We rewrite the history book on the Georgia game, and we watch other programs with far less talent (see Wake Forest), shoot past us like a meteor. Negative is ending this tragedy getting beaten by mostly the second string of a mid-tier WAC team.

I have searched and searched to not be "positive" but can't find an area of the game in which we actually are improved this year - and the bar was actually being lowered from the OL regime cause it was sliding since Friedgen left.

Frankly, I think Tech players and fans deserve better.

FW as a long time Tech man (from the 40's) I've seen undermanned, out gunned Tech teams. They still were coached up. Dodd and a few others like Fulcher were able to up the talent. I agree that it seems to me that this team had no cohesion, spirit and surely no discipline(sp?). But how can a team play with spirit when they work their butts off only to have one person constantly throw the game away. No I'm not downing AJ I'm just saying he is not a D1 qb and never will be, maybe as I've read a real nice guy but he's not a qb. However, DB is not Brain Dead as has been repeated over and over and over by a few posters here and I'm sure he has heard and seen the cries of the faithful and sending him mail will not change anything unless you, me or anyone with holds our million $ donations. However, the post was not meant as an insult to you or anyone with maybe the exception of beeware.

It's also time DB went after 1.5 from GOL it's time he paid up or we put a lein on his house up at (I believe) Big Canoe.

Great Post! I can't imagine Dave Braine not confronting this coach with a lot of these issues. That being said and this is hard to fathom, we all have to take a "wait and see" attitude. Difficult to do when we all want changes now.

I just hope that whatever the outcome of this season and any changes their after don't have a longlasting negative effect. I can't stand the thought of another "rebuilding process".

Not expecting better results is not acceptable - there is question as to whether or not we will ever get 1.5 million from O'Leary, but Gailey is making 1 million, and Tech is among the top 20 paying coaching jobs in America. What really chaps is I believe he got a bonus for taking our team out to a laugher of a "bowl" game and got us embarassed. I don't blame Gailey for this as much as I do a system that simply pays alot of money, and only changes when the roof caves in and the place is in ashes. As I've stated ad nauseum, this is not all about winning and losing simply as a record, it is about improving, being competitive and taking pride in the players continuing the Tech tradition. Programs like Ole Miss ended the season beating their arch-rival and winning a half baked bowl game, so they at least have hope going into spring, however unplaced it may be. Programs like Wake must be estatic, in that they won their "bowl" but more importantly displayed a well-coached, disciplined and highly motivated team. No need to comment on the momentum at NC State and Maryland and Georgia.

Let me know if you guys get any response from Braine or whether he is just going to wait this one out.

Father Wasp, thanks for your two previous posts in this thread. Like you I have been a Tech fan for a long time. (I only date back to the sixties.) Because of this too often I tend to let my emotions drive my posts. Thanks for putting it so eloquently.

Father Wasp: I agree totally with you. I only go back to the early 70's and I believe this coaching situation is going to play itself out until we crash into the cellar and another coaching change will happen in another midseason.

Thanks guys. There seems to be a group of us who feel very much the same on a variety of topics. This situation is both frustrating and saddening. Three years ago, we had some problems and needs for improvement, but our team was winning, we could and did beat Georgia, and our stadium expansion had us all upbeat about the future - it was fun at the Flats. How quickly the bottom fell out. I'm just wondering what this season will do to renewals of season tickets and how much we lost going west to the "bowl" game. Fortunately, I work with some pretty decent folks (not UGA) who are pretty polite in their questioning of what the heck is going on at Ga. Tech and not smirking too much about their success (NCState, etc.). Well, baseball season is here, and that is a bunch that beat Georgia 7 times - so maybe we can watch that if we are in town rather than try to find out what is going on at Rose Bowl Field in the spring.

Back