Miami

cyptomcat

Hibernating
#BREAKING: Canes football linebackers Alex Figueroa & Jawand Blue arrested on sexual battery charges by Gables police http://t.co/BkUMIK6M2b

Well that was quick:
Feldman: #Miami LBs Alex Figueroa & Jawand Blue have been dismissed from the team due to sexual battery charges.

Both #2 on recent depth chart.

Rivals lists Figueroa as a starting LB, Blue as a #2. Depth Chart updated last week.

And if I'm not mistaken, Blue is the guy who committed to VT and was planning to enroll early before things came up (grades maybe, i don't remember). Then on signing day he called VT to tell them he was signing with Miami. Beamer's having a good laugh.

Holy $hit:
This story abt 2 #MIami LBs who admitted to police they drugged, raped 17-yr old on campus is horrific: http://t.co/3Ze0Dx4TP9

A little hypocritical if you ask me:

We hold all of our students -- especially student athletes -- to the highest standards of moral conduct.

If they really meant this then why the hell do they recruit thugs to play football and enroll in school in the first place???

If they really meant this then why the hell do they recruit thugs to play football and enroll in school in the first place???

Especially at Miami: for the last 4 decades they've made a culture out of being a gang first and a FB team second.

A little hypocritical if you ask me:

A very salient point. Also sobering are the number of fans on all sides who rush straight for the depth chart when someone gets raped.

A very salient point. Also sobering are the number of fans on all sides who rush straight for the depth chart when someone gets raped.

Is it? Is there any history for either of these guys to indicator they were a risk for something like this when they were being recruited?

Terrible that this happened and (maybe) good news for the victim. I'm always glad for rape shield laws in celebrity issues like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it? Is there any history for either of these guys to indicator they were a risk for something like this when they were being recruited?

Certainly none the coaches will acknowledge. They'll be all "Boy I sure was surprised, they seemed like nice kids. Right up until they plied a minor with substances it would be illegal for any of them to buy, and then raped her, I never heard about any disciplinary problems, disregard for authority, disrespect for women, or infatuation with gang culture and illegal activities. Miami only recruits the finest young men, the finest!"

I understand the impulse to be fair about it and not hang the young men or the program in the court of public opinion. But let's really be fair about it. Overlooking the warning signs for this junk is the long-standing culture of the game of football, not just the university of Miami. Your different programs may have different levels of oversight for these players to keep them from getting out of line, but 'character' is not in the winning equation, and the winners know it. The hypocrisy from the football program that DCS is pointing out is just the thin excuse we all need to say "oh I don't want to deal with the reality that the sport I love, that bonds me and my community, routinely violates my own standards of common decency and causes me to idolize, from time to time, men that are not good men. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, drink some more beer, and get back to the idyllic world that fans of every team occupy each Saturday. I want that more than I really want men of character to comprise my team and conference, and I have an excuse, so Go Team!"

Events of a criminal and low-character nature perpetrated by football players that occur like clockwork are just punctuation marks at the end of a sentence that keeps repeating faster and faster as more money pours in to the game. The sentence is: "We're all hypocrites."

That's just one hypocrite's tl;dr, bigcry opinion, anyways.

No, I stopped using my screen name over here when that guy was going crazy on other boards, didn't want to get mixed up with that guy.

You should probably put that in your sig. Otherwise you'll have to answer that question over and over. :lol:

ETA: Unless, of course, you are that guy.

Certainly none the coaches will acknowledge. They'll be all "Boy I sure was surprised, they seemed like nice kids. Right up until they plied a minor with substances it would be illegal for any of them to buy, and then raped her, I never heard about any disciplinary problems, disregard for authority, disrespect for women, or infatuation with gang culture and illegal activities. Miami only recruits the finest young men, the finest!"

I understand the impulse to be fair about it and not hang the young men or the program in the court of public opinion. But let's really be fair about it. Overlooking the warning signs for this junk is the long-standing culture of the game of football, not just the university of Miami. Your different programs may have different levels of oversight for these players to keep them from getting out of line, but 'character' is not in the winning equation, and the winners know it. The hypocrisy from the football program that DCS is pointing out is just the thin excuse we all need to say "oh I don't want to deal with the reality that the sport I love, that bonds me and my community, routinely violates my own standards of common decency and causes me to idolize, from time to time, men that are not good men. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, drink some more beer, and get back to the idyllic world that fans of every team occupy each Saturday. I want that more than I really want men of character to comprise my team and conference, and I have an excuse, so Go Team!"

Events of a criminal and low-character nature perpetrated by football players that occur like clockwork are just punctuation marks at the end of a sentence that keeps repeating faster and faster as more money pours in to the game. The sentence is: "We're all hypocrites."

That's just one hypocrite's tl;dr, bigcry opinion, anyways.

good points.

Back