Miami

Events of a criminal and low-character nature perpetrated by football players that occur like clockwork are just punctuation marks at the end of a sentence that keeps repeating faster and faster as more money pours in to the game. The sentence is: "We're all hypocrites."

That's just one hypocrite's tl;dr, bigcry opinion, anyways.
There are over 10,000 FBS scholarships available. How many players are arrested each year? In 2011 SI did a survey that showed there were 277 arrests (105 for drugs and DUI), 56 of those for violent crimes. That's just over 2 guys per team with arrests, and just under one major issue on every two teams on average, out of 85 scholarship players per team. I think you're a little over the top with your opinion on the state of the game.

There are over 10,000 FBS scholarships available. How many players are arrested each year? In 2011 SI did a survey that showed there were 277 arrests (105 for drugs and DUI), 56 of those for violent crimes. That's just over 2 guys per team with arrests, and just under one major issue on every two teams on average, out of 85 scholarship players per team. I think you're a little over the top with your opinion on the state of the game.

Interesting. I would guess these stats are probably not different from the student body overall. More importantly, many of the athletes come from less supervised homes and communities where the risk of participating in illegal activity is greater. If it was not for the structure and discipline provided to them by college sports, the incidence of criminal behavior would probably be much higher.

Certainly none the coaches will acknowledge. They'll be all "Boy I sure was surprised, they seemed like nice kids. Right up until they plied a minor with substances it would be illegal for any of them to buy, and then raped her, I never heard about any disciplinary problems, disregard for authority, disrespect for women, or infatuation with gang culture and illegal activities. Miami only recruits the finest young men, the finest!"

I understand the impulse to be fair about it and not hang the young men or the program in the court of public opinion. But let's really be fair about it. Overlooking the warning signs for this junk is the long-standing culture of the game of football, not just the university of Miami. Your different programs may have different levels of oversight for these players to keep them from getting out of line, but 'character' is not in the winning equation, and the winners know it. The hypocrisy from the football program that DCS is pointing out is just the thin excuse we all need to say "oh I don't want to deal with the reality that the sport I love, that bonds me and my community, routinely violates my own standards of common decency and causes me to idolize, from time to time, men that are not good men. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, drink some more beer, and get back to the idyllic world that fans of every team occupy each Saturday. I want that more than I really want men of character to comprise my team and conference, and I have an excuse, so Go Team!"

Events of a criminal and low-character nature perpetrated by football players that occur like clockwork are just punctuation marks at the end of a sentence that keeps repeating faster and faster as more money pours in to the game. The sentence is: "We're all hypocrites."

That's just one hypocrite's tl;dr, bigcry opinion, anyways.

Even when a criminal history exists, how do you find out when you're recruiting a 15/16/17 y.o. whose criminal record isn't available because crimes were committed as a minor? I guess if you interview enough people (that are not family or involved with the high school team) you may dig something up.

I think in this case thugU is handling it right. They gave these guys a chance, the guys allegedly blew it and now thugU has distanced themselves and given full support to the victim. No attempted cover-up. Vandy and F$U (and many others, I'm sure) could both learn from this.

Even when a criminal history exists, how do you find out when you're recruiting a 15/16/17 y.o. whose criminal record isn't available because crimes were committed as a minor? I guess if you interview enough people (that are not family or involved with the high school team) you may dig something up.

I think in this case thugU is handling it right. They gave these guys a chance, the guys allegedly blew it and now thugU has distanced themselves and given full support to the victim. No attempted cover-up. Vandy and F$U (and many others, I'm sure) could both learn from this.

Let's look at a guy like Crowley ... the evidence of a bad seed was pretty clear. Other examples like Jarvis aren't so clear. But, TIA is pretty spot on. Guys like CJ, Bey-Bey, AJ Green are the exceptions, IMO. Though, there are posters on here - Mover, ibeeballin, Effortwarrior - who are far more qualified to give us better insight on this issue.

Oh this SI story?

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/03/02/cfb-crime

Seven percent of the players in the preseason Top 25 -- 204 in all (1 of every 14) -- had been charged with or cited for a crime, including dozens of players with multiple arrests.

Of the 277 incidents uncovered, nearly 40 percent involved serious offenses, including 56 violent crimes such as assault and battery (25 cases), domestic violence (6), aggravated assault (4), robbery (4) and sex offenses (3). In addition there were 41 charges for property crimes, including burglary and theft and larceny.

There were more than 105 drug and alcohol offenses, including DUI, drug possession and intent to distribute cocaine.

In cases in which the outcome was known, players were guilty or paid some penalty in nearly 60 percent of the 277 total incidents.

Players who would have been on last year's rosters but had been charged and expelled from their teams before Sept. 1 -- and there were dozens -- were not counted in our sample. Nor did SI and CBS News have access to juvenile arrest records for roughly 80 percent of the players in the study.

Emphasis mine.

That's not across the entire FBS, just the SI preseason top 25. The 2 per team thing is not even close to true. The opening of the article is about how Pitt didn't have any procedures to pick up the warning signs for recruiting criminals. My opinion is well formed.

EDIT:

They go on:

The number of players with criminal histories turned up by the SI/CBS News investigation reinforces a pervasive assumption that college coaches are willing to recruit players with questionable pasts to win. More surprising, however, is just how little digging college coaches do into players' backgrounds before offering them a scholarship.

The SI article you cited is basically what I wrote above.

Last edited:
I agree with TIA. It's also one of the reasons I don't get my panties in a wad when our squad doesn't win 10 games.

Oh this SI story?

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/03/02/cfb-crime

The SI article you cited is basically what I wrote above.

At least Miami kicked them out of school.

Date rape is a huge issue nationwide that doesn't get enough media coverage.

Here is an article from a few years ago talking about date rape at Emory.

link:
http://www.emorywheel.com/archive/detail.php?n=29555

Here's a quote from the article that you might find interesting:
"In the past six years, no student has been expelled even after admitting to committing assault, she said."

I'm willing to bet those guys involved in the incidents at Emory had great academics and came from well supervised home environments, unlike the scum (assuming they are guilty) from Miami.

Sometimes we look at sports stars too much when the issue at hand (date rape) is prevalent in more areas other than major revenue producing sports.

At least Miami kicked them out of school.

Date rape is a huge issue nationwide that doesn't get enough media coverage.

Here is an article from a few years ago talking about date rape at Emory.

link:
http://www.emorywheel.com/archive/detail.php?n=29555

Here's a quote from the article that you might find interesting:
"In the past six years, no student has been expelled even after admitting to committing assault, she said."

I'm willing to bet those guys involved in the incidents at Emory had great academics and came from well supervised home environments, unlike the scum (assuming they are guilty) from Miami.

Sometimes we look at sports stars too much when the issue at hand (date rape) is prevalent in more areas other than major revenue producing sports.

All true. But it's fair to say that members of the football team are far more prevalent representatives of a school than the average or even superlative member of the student body. You don't sell out 50,000 seat stadiums for the debate team. ESPN doesn't analyze final exam performance on a loop during the off days either. 99% of our fans can't name the top 10 grant earners at GTRI, but just about everybody can name 10 starters on the football team. The point is, everybody is looking at these kids. They represent the university more than most, at some places most of all.

When, on top of your schools affirmation of the value of character, your athletic department makes various other supplementary affirmations to that same attribute, then represents your school to one of (and sometimes outright) the largest audiences your school has, the hypocrisy becomes exceptional when the school isn't also looking at them with a high degree of scrutiny. The SI article is strong evidence that they often don't.

You'll find, should you be willing to waste the time, the words "integrity" or "character" in 90% of the mission statements in the athletic programs in the FBS, and in 100% of the mission statements for the schools. You'll find the words "winning" and "championships" in how many, I wonder?

Is this date rape? Seems more like rape rape.

According to the articles that I've read, they used alcohol and might have spiked her drink with something and then talked the victim into coming to their dorm room.

I consider that date rape since she wasn't a stranger and was voluntarily drinking with them.

According to the articles that I've read, they used alcohol and might have spiked her drink with something and then talked the victim into coming to their dorm room.

I consider that date rape since she wasn't a stranger and was voluntarily drinking with them.

From Wikipedia:
date rape specifically refers to a rape in which there has been some sort of romantic or potentially sexual relationship between the two parties.

Czar has pics?

14429729910_569df3b1e6_o.jpg

Back