Might as well chime in.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Like everyone else I'm pissed about yesterday. We were outcoached, outplayed and outclasses.

With that out of the way here go a few thoughts.

1) we are simply not strong enough physically to beat a power team that takes it to us and doesn't make mistakes

2) our talent level is nowhere near what we think it is. Non biased opinions (people who pick games/pre-season predictions) have said so over and over but we dont' want to believe it. When we complained about all conference snubs they were watching tape. We have good players, but we still need to get better.

3) The catch by J Smith was the first big play for a WR I can remember this year. Meaning taking the ball away from somebody. We have guys who can make plays, but they need to make them.

4) the QB situation must be settled for next season. As I've said before I just don't think AJ does enough to be the answer but somebody has to beat him out. Whether its DBo or somebody else, one player needs to step it up in the spring.

5) We desperately need linemen. We must be stonger, quicker and nastier up front on both sides of the ball. The kids already here need to hit the weights and training room and get better individually.

6) some of our position coaches will likely go. Whether they will be fired or choose to move on will be seen but I don't expect us to start next year with the same staff intact.

7) Although we are faster overall than we have been we still need more speed.

8) congrats to Georgia. They have convinced me, they are for real - a very talented team that is playing together and well, unlike most GA teams over the past 20 years.

9) I don't really think the team quit so much as they just had the wind taken out of their sails. It's hard to keep the edge when you run into the buzz saw we hit in the first half. Sometimes no matter what you try things just keep going wrong. Saying we need better players isn't meant as a slam on the guys or their effort, but if we want to compete with the top teams we have to get more physical.

10) and before anyone jumps in. Yes, I think that if you switched coaching staffs Sat, GA would still have won.

NC JAcket.. I agree with you... we have been whipped by Georgia two years straight... under two different coaching staffs... we dont have the horses in Atlanta to compete today... I think we have given GOL too much credit for recruiting... Friedgen was the key to our success in years past.. I think he is proving that at MD...

this is not the worst coaching staff ever... it is just one who didnt earn their money yesterday... much like the one that didnt earn theirs last year... I put the responsibility on Dave Braine ... He should have been bright enough to keep Friedgen...

I'll chime in with some thoughts.

1. We always have trouble recruiting linemen, especially big defensive tackles. Somehow we must correct this.

2. We need a QB that can make plays. This is my primary argument for Bilbo. AJ seems to have limited athletic potential (ie arm strength , speed, etc,) While Bilbo would make frshmen mistakes, by this time in the season he would probably have become a more consistent QB. Even if he beats AJ in the spring he will have to go through this learning curve. Our offense (any offense for that matter) operates better when we have a QB that can consistently make plays. AJ does not have this ability.

3. Our receivers need better coaching. There were too many drops and bad routes this year. I do believe that we have the talent at this position. (Of course better timed throws will help in this regard also)

4. Despite our failure to show up defensively yesterday, I do believe that our defense is better. We try to force the action with more blitzes and I have seen some breakups by our secondary this year. We still do need more talent at the DB position.

5. I'm concerned about our conditioning program. Were all of the injuries, esp. to the runningbacks just unlucky? or is this another area that we need to emphasize.

6. I'm still willing to give our AD a break. After all Braine did hire Paul Hewitt. We would love to have the equivalent hire in football. Unfortunately, we will probably never have the talent level of a UGa. That is why we must have excellent coaches in order to be successful.

Lets go win a bowl game.

WE have the team to win. Our record should be 10-2 with losses to MAryland and UGA. I do not think we are strong enough up front.

We have to stop deluding ourselves that we have talent to beat UGAg and FSU straight up. It was clear from row 1 last year in the Tech-UGAg game. Ga's Dbacks are as big as our linebackers and faster than our dbacks. Ga's linebackers are bigger than our linebackers and just as fast.

We have improved team speed a lot in the mid-late '90s but if you think we are going to beat the Dawgs, who are essentially a state all-star team from one of the top 5 states for high school football in the country, straight up man for man then you are dreaming.

We will always have to beat the Dawgs with stealth, superior coaching, and by playing players who will never give up no matter what. I am as disappointed with CG now as anybody over this absolute meltdown, but if you think we have top ten talent, you are only fooling yourself...

For all who laud GOL's wonderful recruiting years, we have only had a higher ranked recruiting class than the Dawgs once, and that was just a few places higher than them. And we have lost several of those players from that class.

I don't want Ga Tech to become a minor league pro team like FSU and UGAg. I want Ga Tech to be the best college program we can be and play smarter.

We have to recruit better. We have to get after high school players who value the education opportunity, not those looking for a quick warm up for the NFL. We have to scout nationally for the dozen or so good quality players who want a top notch education and sell them on Ga Tech.
We have to beat the bushes better than the others for the diamonds in the rough that have the size and talent to big time players but just haven't been discovered and put in the right position yet.

We have to develop the players once we get them better than anyone else. We need to combine our ergonomics research capabilities with the strength and conditioning program to get the best possible performance out of each athlete. We have to lift weights, take dietary supplements and do twice as much as the others so our athletes will not be afraid to go onto the field with UGAg like they were yesterday.

We have to have coaches that can design offenses and defenses to take advantage of our athletes intellects and our opponents lack thereof. Then we have to have leadership to make the players believe they can go into places like Sanford and Son and hang with the big boys. This is what we actually had under Friedgen/O'Leary (names in order of significance).

CG has to make changes over the next few weeks to upgrade his staff. He has to personally get out and comb the state and country to inspire recruits that he has committment to be successful. And most of all he has to look in the mirror and ask himself if he's committed enough to turn it around. If he blinks, then he needs to get out of the way before he embarrasses himself and Ga Tech anymore like he did yesterday.

JacketGuy, not sure I understand how DB should have been bright enough to keep fridge? He was offered a HC job. Should DB have fired O'L and given it to fridge? Seriously, explain.

Good post Rambling! Points for the coaches and players to ponder for sure.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
10) and before anyone jumps in. Yes, I think that if you switched coaching staffs Sat, GA would still have won.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I totally disagree. If our team was actually coached (either by last year's Seattle Bowl staff or as you suggested if our team was coached by Ugag's staff) we would have been extremely competitive with Ugag yesterday.

The bottom line is this....we have possibly the worst coaching staff EVER assembled. And as was pointed out a year ago, Chan has absolutely no qualifications to be successful in Division 1. He is taking our program down the drain....possibly in record time.

IT WAS NOT NECESSARY.

Beeware you are right. To have one team, given the same amount of scholarships in supposedly a big time conference go in at halftime down 34-0 involves mostly coaching.
What baffles me is how some people still don't get it. I guess they will be amongst the 13,000 or so screaming about Tuberville and the big, bad SEC humiliating us and beating us up, wearing their Seattle bowl t-shirts they ordered off the internet because they wouldn't dare go to the game. Time for these folks to quit deluding themselves and just drop Georgia because they've given up rather than commit to the program.

***NEWS FLASH***

UGA has ALWAYS had more talent than us...they recruit SEC players and we recruit ACC and BIG EAST players...that didnt stop us from beating them 3 years in a row...and most of the losses were close.

I think our OL has played WELL ALL YEAR...we ran the ball with a 5th yr senior and walk on freshman on FSU pretty well...My main recruiting focus would be Defensive Line....We get NO push from them at all...its hard when your DTs weigh 260 pounds...I think we also need to recruit real DEs...not convert LBs

getting no pressure on the QB AND playing 10 yards off the other teams WRs is a recipe for disaster
rant.gif

Ive watched every Tech-GA game since the early sixties, and I have seen MANY Tech teams far more outmanned physically than this one vs. Georgia. Robinson and Dorsey side by side go about 330 apiece average, and we were afraid to go for it on 4th and six inches. I saw defensive backs trying to get out of the way rather than tackle. I haven't seen anyone block yet on a kickoff return. This was not a lack of talent vs. Georgia, but heart. New Mexico, Northwestern State and others with far less talent made a better showing vs. Georgia. No excuse. They didn't fight.

FatherWasp
Thats the single factor that pushes me over the edge...Like the UMD game. No fight, no spirit.

I believe it boils down to dicipline. There is none, and it shows. You CANNOT coach college players like you coach professional players. Period. Wonder how long it will take CG to figure this out ?

CERTX55- I agree with you. Our talent is good enough to win. We beat Georgia three years in a row.

Give me Fridge as the head coach, we beat Georgia and a lot of other teams. Its funny how after we lose one its our talent level. But its essentally the same talent level we had two years ago and we were thinking national championship. Boy how some lower their expectations mighty easily.

CERTX55 - is right on the money with his point about the size of Tech's DL. You can't expect DT's to make a push for an entire game when they only weigh 260 lbs., especially against an OL that averages over 300 lbs. like UGA's.

To be successful in the ACC and play teams like Georgia out of conference you've got to put guys in the trenches that are large and strong. 260 lb. defensive tackles aren't going to cut it.

only reason we beat georgia three years in a row is because they got screwed half the time

The facts - we won with GOL by having Friedgen and well-coached QBs.We don't have either now.
- we have good talent but without an excellent QB,our best RB(Hollings), and best Defensive player(Gathers),Tech is only a good football team
- CG and his staff have had a steep learning curve and haven't handled it overall very well.
-That said there was still no excuse for this meltdown.I could see another 30-7 MD game but this was off the charts.
Where does that leave us?I predicted a 7-5 record so this isn't the end of the world to me but it sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth.Only a very good/ great coach can dig out from this.Let's see CG earn his money.

AlaGold I think you're on the money. We have good talent, not great talent - certainly not as much as Ga. But with a very good QB we can compete with anybody. That would keep the defense off the field and let us use the skill people we have on offense. w/o that top level QB we have to play a mistake free game and get some breaks.

CG still has a lot to prove, but in my opinion it's not as bad as some make it out to be. It's not particularly good, just kind of held serve this year. Next year we need to see improvement in schemes, emotion and definitely QB play.

Originally posted by ShadyJacket:
only reason we beat georgia three years in a row is because they got screwed half the time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Riiiiight. Go back and look at the "phantom" interference from the '97 game. Also, most people forget some bad calls that went in Ugag's favor in the '99 game (i.e. interception off of the ground), etc.; the jasper sanks fumble was highlighted since it was at the end of the game. Did the refs throw the interception in OT? Nope, that was Lavonya Carter. BOTH teams have benefited from bad calls late in the games.

GT ran off 3 in a row because of SUPERIOR coaching, namely--the Fridge.

Are you referring to the pass that was intended for on Muyres when the game was tied at 41?

If you are, in my opinion, I think that was a legitimate pick and a good call.

I wish it hadn't happened, but everything worked out ok in '99.

Back