Missing CFP Voter

mac8907

Varsity Lurker
Sorry if this has been posted, but didn't see it below.

Guess, since they never release their votes, I didn't think about "missing voters" but from this I guess it has happened before and might explain some of those strange shifts week over week (i.e Utah and GT a few weeks ago). Since there is only 12 of them, a single voter missing could make a bit of an impact. Sounds like Mike Gould couldn't make it for the vote. He's an Air Force Academy guy...wonder if his link to academys and option offenses actually might give us a bump when he votes next week.

Link

If anything, he probably hates CPJ for beating Air Force like 7 out of 8 years

Amazing that the committee has reduced CFB to parsing the likes and dislikes of 12 rather otherwise rather unremarkable and/or unrelated to football people.

Amazing that the committee has reduced CFB to parsing the likes and dislikes of 12 rather otherwise rather unremarkable and/or unrelated to football people.

Well, before it was mainly parsing the likes and dislikes of 100 very biased regional writers and/or coaches. Not sure which is better...I still think that this will work out with us getting four very good teams in a playoff.

Far better than the AP poll.

The AP poll includes nitwits who write fake news stories about fake girlfriends dying of cancer and are essentially lowly paid third-party press people for their respective schools.

Of the committees members all have substantial football experience. I'm comfortable with Tyrone Willingham, Tom Osborne, Archie Manning, Oliver Luck, Barry Alvarez, Pat Haden, and Condi Rice on the committee.

I'd like the ballots to be public, so we can see accountability (where does Alvarez rank Wisconsin, Radokovich Clemson, or Condi Rice Stanford?). I also think the ACC is underrepresented:
Committee Members by Conference

ACC: 1 (Radakovich)
Big 10: 2 (Alvarez, Osborne)
Big 12: 1 (Luck)
Pac 12: 3 (Jernstedt, Haden, Rice)
SEC: 2 (Long, Manning)
Others: 4 (Gould, Tranghese, Wieberg, Willingham)

In particular, Tranghese has pretty much said he hates the ACC because we put him out of a job. It's a shame that Homer Rice isn't 10 years younger.

Last edited:
Well, before it was mainly parsing the likes and dislikes of 100 very biased regional writers and/or coaches. Not sure which is better...I still think that this will work out with us getting four very good teams in a playoff.

I agree, there will be flaws in any system and as there are obvious flaws in the fundamental scheduling of a football season (12 games to differentiate 120+ teams is a statistical joke).

But at least we have some people evaluating bodies of work with a reported emphasis on conference champions (as it should be).

And I too believe we're going to have the best team in the country involved in the playoff - which wasn't always a guarantee for the BCSCG.

The AP poll includes nitwits who write fake news stories about fake girlfriends dying of cancer and are essentially lowly paid third-party press people for their respective schools.

Or the Coaches poll.

Grad assistants, at some of the schools actually being ranked, that can't possibly have watched the games.

Of the committees members all have substantial football experience. I'm comfortable with Tyrone Willingham, Tom Osborne, Archie Manning, Oliver Luck, Barry Alvarez, Pat Haden, and Condi Rice on the committee.

I'd like the ballots to be public, so we can see accountability (where does Alvarez rank Wisconsin, Radokovich Clemson, or Condi Rice Stanford?). I also think the ACC is underrepresented:
Committee Members by Conference

ACC: 1 (Radakovich)
Big 10: 2 (Alvarez, Osborne)
Big 12: 1 (Luck)
Pac 12: 3 (Jernstedt, Haden, Rice)
SEC: 2 (Long, Manning)
Others: 4 (Gould, Tranghese, Wieberg, Willingham)

In particular, Tranghese has pretty much said he hates the ACC because we put him out of a job.

Manning isn't on the committee this year. He dropped out because he needed knee replacement surgery...

Back