My Take

The Gnome of Zurich

Varsity Lurker
I thought Ball did just fine. He actually did better than I really thought a true freshman would do.
The DL has no depth, and is young, therefore they will tire in every game. Tenuta's hands are tied. The best way for DB's to cover someone (except for the lazy 4th and 3 TD to TE by Butler) is to have a good pass rush. We are just not going to have that from the front 4 consistently in the 2nd half or 4th quarter.
I thought the game plan overall was pathetic. We actually ran 6 plays (with a few other 1 time) for the most part of the game. We were getting 4 yards it seemed when we ran the ball on 1st down. I love getting 4-5 yards on 1st down but gosh, the playcalling was atrocious. Quite frankly, he did say it was going to be generic...but Ball can play and I didnt think they utilized his mobility enough. Conservative in first game is understandable but that was unimaginative, conservative which means you lose the game.
Looks like PJ is our only RB or they forgot to put the others in there.
Looks like Jonathan Smith is only Wideout. I like the wideout pass, and let him do his thing. It's an easy pass for Reggie and we want the ball in JS hands...We need to go lateral as I have said in previous posts with the pass. Curls, ins, rollout by QB and out patterns...None of that really.
The special teams looked fine. Burnett did good. Except for the KO return by Scott, he looks like a playmaker with the blocked punt etc. So at least Special Teams looked like a real Div1 team.
But, BYU is weak. We should have RUN the ball down their throats and we didnt. Bad playcalling, and really bad game plan. But Ball looked good overall for first game, special teams were good. And quite frankly, not a ton of missed tackles. So what, no pressure on QB = tackles are made after a lot of yards gained. Landry can hit.
Summation: No depth pn DL hurts and will hurt all year. Weak game plan, or adjustments. Remeber we were all looking for the halftime adjustments? They came form BYU's locker not ours.
1 Loss that really was a must win.

Back