NCSU by the numbers

BEESerk

Flats Noob
As the season goes on, I think the numbers become a lot more meaningful. This game marks the halfway point of the season, and the numbers should give a decent reflection of the strong points and weaknesses of teams. So lets look at NCSU.

NCSU:

Scoring offense - 43 pts/g
Scoring defense - 31.4 pts/g
Turnover marging - +.20 /g

Minimum points scored by an NCSU opponent was 20 by W. Carolina in a NCSU blow out.

Minimum points scored by NCSU was 24 in a loss to Wake Forest.

NCSU has the #21 rushing defense (slight better than us) in the country.

NCSU has the next to last pass defense at #116 and giving up 338 yds/g!

It will be interesting to see what kind of game plan both teams try to use. Both teams have been good at stopping the run. Will both teams really focus on stopping the run, and turning this into an aerial battle?

Knowing that we probably have to score over 20 to even have a chance, will GT come out throwing immediately? There is no doubt that this is the worst secondary we have faced yet. Given that, will NCSU sell out the pass and load the box in hopes of getting to Ball?

How can Tech stop Rivers? Do we sell out the pass too and load the box?

I am excited about seeing how this game is played out. Gailey showed last year he knew how to beat this team, and I see no reason he can't do the same this year. I think it will be a chess match though. It will need to be. If we just get into an aerial battle then I am afraid we will have helped Rivers ger back to the top of the Heisman race.

Some other interesting statistics:

FSU scored 14 on the GT defense but are avg. 37.7 per game.

Clemson scored 39 points but are avg. 26. They have also scored more every week this season.

Auburn scored 3 but are avg. 24. They have also scored more every week this season.

BYU scored 24 but are avg. 15. The most they scored this year was against us in game 1.

Which just goes to show that statistics are meaningless when viewing just one game. It's more about matchups than stats or tendencies IMO. Does our defense match up well against their offense?

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Does our defense match up well against their offense?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">nope, not at all

Which means Tenuta needs to figure out how to manipulate the matchups so it works for us.

Hard to design "match-ups" with our corners playing so poorly. The 7 yards we play off of the receivers make for a lot of short yardage 2nd and 3rd down situations. I really thought JC would play better based on previous years and that RH was gonna be a big surprise as the fast athletic corner we never seem to have, but.... not so far. Hopefully Sat will be the start of their turnaround.

Seems that with Houston and Davis's speed, we should play a lot more in their face jam em at the line style of coverage. THWG

whoops, I just realized I started those sentences about defense rankings with "Wake", I edited it to say NCSU like it should have.

Back