New CG pay scale

law_bee

Dodd-Like
CG is making ~million and I think we should restructure the contract.

80k per win for first 6 wins
100K for all wins above 6

***100k bonus for win over ugag

***100k bonus for win over f$u

this is way K's should be structured

I like this. I will bring it up to the board of regents! Board do you read this?

Don't think you'll get too many coaches for that, FWIW. I can see the negotiation...

"so let me get this straight, I get $0 base, $480K if we win 6, $880 if we win 10, $1,080 if we win them all (assuming 11 game sched plus a bowl) plus $200K since that would mean beating Ugag and FSU. So I can make anywhere between $0 and $1,280K. Or I can go to State U for $800 plus bowl bonus. Plus you want me to actually graduate players? Thanks but no thanks."

Seriously, I don't have a problem with incentive contracts, they just need to be structured in the right way and have to make sense in the market. This one doesn't really beat the market on the upside and pays nothing on the downside.

You also have to worry about what actions the incentives drive. You could make an argument that a coach with this package would bring in anybody he could slip past the admin just to play ball. We could have another F$U or Miami type program - one that wins but goes against everything most Tech fans believe. Also, why would a coach care about player development or safety if one big play could mean another $100K?

Don't disagree in a general sense on pay for performance. The example you offer just doesn't take enough into consideration IMO.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Don't think you'll get too many coaches for that, FWIW. I can see the negotiation...

"so let me get this straight, I get $0 base, $480K if we win 6, $880 if we win 10, $1,080 if we win them all (assuming 11 game sched plus a bowl) plus $200K since that would mean beating Ugag and FSU. So I can make anywhere between $0 and $1,280K. Or I can go to State U for $800 plus bowl bonus. Plus you want me to actually graduate players? Thanks but no thanks."

Seriously, I don't have a problem with incentive contracts, they just need to be structured in the right way and have to make sense in the market. This one doesn't really beat the market on the upside and pays nothing on the downside.

You also have to worry about what actions the incentives drive. You could make an argument that a coach with this package would bring in anybody he could slip past the admin just to play ball. We could have another F$U or Miami type program - one that wins but goes against everything most Tech fans believe. Also, why would a coach care about player development or safety if one big play could mean another $100K?

Don't disagree in a general sense on pay for performance. The example you offer just doesn't take enough into consideration IMO.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually Richt was making less than 800k b/f his latest raise. We are paying MUCH for our coach. Look at how much Kentucky pays their coach and they consistently put more people in the stands then we do.

You can adjust the pay however you want to but the reality is we should structure salaries around ugag and f$u. I think we are kidding ourselves when you ignore those two games.

I believe strongly in a package that includes incentives. Perhaps a $250,000 base package based on wins with strong emphasis on UGA and FSU that
could net him as much as $1,500,000 with an undefeated team. But I don't like the present contract that paid him $25,000 Bucks just to show up at a slop jar bowl and would have paid him another 25 grand if he had beaten that three legged dog team we lost to in a bowl. Make all bowl incentives be based on meaningful bowls.

The way this contract is structured tells one and all that Braine's standards and expectations are very low.

I don't have a problem with contracts based on more incentives, I just think if we were to put the base as low as you guys suggest we wouldn't get anybody competitive. We have to meet the competition.

Back