new commitments

techrod

Flats Noob
My take on these 2 new commitments are they are good solid pickups. If we finish out with this type players I would think it would be a solid, but NOT GREAT class. I think the commitments we have so far will definately down the road, however it may be 2 to 3 years out. I don't see a real impact player among them. By impact I mean someone who in the next 2 years can change the coarse of a season or teams performance. Having said that, I am very pleased with these last two and I welcome them to Tech. By the way if we finish out with likes of Ball and Wrotto I believe that would justify a national ranking in the #18 to 25 range, which is good for our history.

The fact that PJ Daniels was a walkon and got significant playing time means that a FEW of these kids could get playing time at certain positions of course.

Something to keep in mind. These kids were recruited by THESE coaches. It is possible that these coaches saw something in these kids that they are currently missing.

Freshman that can play immediately will be WR, DB, RB, and possibly QB and OL.

Everyone else the learning curve is probably too steep.

Law bee, Don't misunderstand what I mean by impact. I don't for one minute dought some of these recruits won't play as true freshman, however they will not be such talent as true freshman to change the coarse of the program. An impact player such as Greg Gathers when he was a true fresh. I AM PLEASED WITH THE LAST 3 COMMITMENTS,AND THEY ARE EACH FROM GEORGIA!!!

Techrod, just curious - what about these recruits (namely Wrotto since a QB starting as a true Frosh would be asking way too much) leads you to beleive they could not pain out ala Gathers.

Gathers recruting ranking was not tremendous, but it was "nice" - He was USA Today Honerable Mention, the #49 rated player in La per Super Preps (Jermain Hatch, fwiw, was ranked #25 in La. by Super Preps). He took trips to SMU and Fla, along with Tech. Came down pretty much to SMU or Tech. LSU thought he was too small.

I guess what I am saying is that we have seen True or R Frosh contributing significantly on the DL - see Gathers, Henderson, Hargrove, etc.

If Wrotto is a real player as a DT (weren't some recruiting him as a Guard ?), I would guess that he would get a real chance to play quickly.

don't try and confuse techrod with facts .. he is just very opinionated and that's perfectly alright ..

For whatever it is worth,Gathers got his own "segment" on Countdown To Signing when he committed.So he got somebody's attention.

Al Gold, Greg was a very late commitment, and he was wanted by several top programs.

Techrod - yes and no, wrt Greg wanted by "several top programs".

Again, his visits were to Tech, SMU, and Florida. It came down to SMU and GT. I don't think most SEC-style pundits would put SMU and GT in the "big name program" (ie no F$U, Miami, ND, Mich, etc).

And while Spurrier did recruit him hard, LSU only got into the game late/half-heartedly, if at all, as they told him he was too small.

You are correct, he was a late signer. But I'm not so sure that I would agree if someone placed him as a "big namer".

For whatever reason, we seem to get a lot of "bang for our buck" from the Lousiana kids (Watkins, Gathers, Hendo, Hatch before injury, etc)

gailey wants the recruits we're going after right now .. that's enough for me techrod ..

TIAR,B, GG was offered by GT,SC,LSU,& OK. That qualifies as being offered by several majors to me, plus it's well known that UF & ND showed a lot of interest. If 2/3 of this class could match his credentials we would be thrilled. THWG

Ylojk8, not opionated when it comes to recruiting! The Gaither's story is that you are partly right in that he wasn't on many so called reccruiting list as a 4 star or what have you. I found out however that the Tech coaches WANTED HIM BADLY, and he WAS recruited heavily by the top 25 programs. Wrotto is recruited by some good programs also, but I am not sure he can beat out as a true freshman the 2 we have coming back. I think there is a 50-50 chance of a redshirt year. If he did win a job it would not surprise me in the least so I am VERY PLEASED with his being part of Tech!!!!!!

Gather's story is just like the 2 kids we just signed....they were OFFERED by other majors and that is your best indicator by far. If in fact our class as a whole is recruited by the same type of programs these two kids were, we will have had a very successful class. Last year's class by the way was quite heavily recruited by other majors. As for immediate impact players, they will almost always come from the RB/WR positions. THWG

Goldz , you are right, also we needed Greg more as a true freshman than we will Wrotto this next year.

Back