New - crazy - thoughts on expansion...

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
I have been contemplating new, deep thoughts about all this. I am very concerned about where those thoughts have led.

I am now of the opinion that the Big Whatever and the PAC 16 are colluding to strip southern football of its power - not on the field (which they can't do), but in the media voting mechanism.

When you look at the concentration of championships between the SEC/ACC over the last 30 years (18 of the last 30), and the relative level of futility of the Big 10/PAC 10 (over that 30-year span, the Big 12 held 7 more MNC's, making 25 of the last 30 MNC's non-BIG 10/PAC 10 teams.

They collaborate on the Rose Bowl, and what bigger stage for an MNC would be a Rose Bowl with the top 2 teams from conferences representing 32 of the top programs in the USA (including now every Big 12 team that claims an MNC since 1980)? They will flip off the BCS and let the west coast and midwest media giants (including NYC, if Rutgers joins up) determine the prize.

I am now of the opinion that this goes past TV dollars (though that is still vital to the equation for obvious reasons) and includes a power play to secure the MNC for years to come.

The mighty SEC cannot fight this alone, and (quite ironically) needs a strong(er) ACC to join them in the fight to maintain balance in college football. I'm of the growing opinion that we may see an interesting partnership form in the days ahead between Slive and Swofford to protect the interests of southern college football.

Back