New Era - “Bidding Wars”

From the second Williams entered the portal, USC became one of the frontrunners to land him. Former Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley, who gave the freshman quarterback a starting job in Norman, is now the leader of the Trojans’ program in Southern California.

Newly-hired LSU head coach Brian Kelly and the Tigers are also reportedly involved in a “bidding war” for the future Heisman favorite.

I realize “bidding wars” have always existed underground, but in my opinion, this is a harbinger for teams like GT to become even less significant. I hope not.
As long as it’s anyone except the dwags.

"I joked the other day that I didn't know if Texas A&M was going to incur a luxury tax in how much they paid for their signing class," Kiffin said
It looks like I'm not the only one disgusted with Jimbo Fisher and TAMU.

Wait till ESPN, the real governing body of CFB, decides that the transfer portal needs to be immediate with no limits on how many times a kid transfers. SEC dirtbags will have their bagman recruiting the opponents players during pregame warmups. Games will be like a cross between a pickup game and a smash and grab.
this is kind of hyperbole but im afraid its also very plausible!

It looks like I'm not the only one disgusted with Jimbo Fisher and TAMU.
whether you like Kiffin or not he's spot on here. he's just saying the uncomfortable parts out loud. and yes i know he just took Ivey.

NIL and player portal free agency are designed to absolutely minimize the chance any team other than a factory with millions of fans all over the country make the playoffs and compete for the NC.

GT, Oklahoma State, Boise State, TCU, Oregon, Stanford, and even Ole Miss cost ESPN too much $$$ if they make it.

whether you like Kiffin or not he's spot on here. he's just saying the uncomfortable parts out loud. and yes i know he just took Ivey.

Lane's just trying to warn the rest of college football before he goes full Wyatt earp... this new terrain is in his sweet spot...

Depressing though it is, this is the truth. The sport will still be around, but we are never going back to anything resembling the college football we fell in love with. None of our reasons for wanting to go back will ever matter to the people making the decisions and the "conversation" about it which plays out on sports networks and radio shows means a grand total of dick. There is no discussion, they are going to squeeze every last cent from the sport they can, and they will mangle it beyond recognition if doing so might get them another buck.

Not really related but those of you who shrug it off because this is just the natural order of things in our wealth worshiping world, you are the biggest ööööing cucks on the planet.
It has become more like NFL. Most fans never attend a game. There are about 32(you see what I did?) programs that are real players, and 10 of those contend for Championships. I have fond memories of games at DIII, FCS, and the Ross, O'Leary, and Johnson years at Tech. They are gone. But if we cant be more than a Duke or Vandy in our own league, I won't spend the bucks to go to BDS, as much fun as I have had in the past. I'll spend a much smaller amount and cheer in person for an FCS team closer to home. Will always cherish memories of big time Football at night in BDS....and the great tailgates. Worried that Collins may have extinguished the flame.Bill Lewis squared.

NIL and player portal free agency are designed to absolutely minimize the chance any team other than a factory with millions of fans all over the country make the playoffs and compete for the NC.

GT, Oklahoma State, Boise State, TCU, Oregon, Stanford, and even Ole Miss cost ESPN too much $$$ if they make it.
There's a second level effect! Very astute and bigger than we think!

My understanding is that performance based NIL's are not allowed.

There are always loopholes. It's not explicit but this is a de facto pay for performance solution. You could argue that fans are paying for the coolest jerseys, but that's horseshit. I have a Russell-made Calvin Johnson jersey in my closet. It's not because it's such a great design.

All the sketchy NIL stuff that’s going on and GT is one of the only schools that gets called out in that article. Figures.

JRjr
My thoughts exactly. GT getting called out is probably the funniest thing I’ve read in months.

Back