Next Year's Outlook In The Magazines

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Next Year\'s Outlook In The Magazines

My guess is the presason magazines will have us rated only above Duke and UNC. The "experts" will have us as a program on the decline. And for the life of me I can't find anything that will dispute this outlook. I know I am not in Chan's corner some posters could reply but for everybody that knows me knows that I have always been optimistic about the Jackets.This is the first time in years I have felt this way. I don't have a hidden motive. I just believe we are going down a deadend road with the "status quo." For the record the last time I did have this feeling was Bobby Cremins last year. And I vividly remember how bad it was. I can't stand around and not state my feelings on our current coach. I need to see something tangiable to change my view. Blind faith will not do it anymore.

Re: Next Year\'s Outlook In The Magazines

Stateline.. I think you are probably right... although it is waaaay to early for these things (but never too early to think about them.. ) I sort of expect MD to be piced to win the ACC next year...with FSU, NCST, and VA picked to battle for second.. We will be lumped in with Clemson, WF, and NC.. followed by Duke..

The same questions will begin next year as we faced this year.. questions at QB.. will RB's be healthy.. a few losses on the D, a small DL.. and coaching... I think they will have us picked to finish 6th.

Dead wrong. Everyone will point to the return of Tony Hollings, the most dangerous RB in the nation at the time of his injury. No one knew about Hollings before his 4 terrific games this yr, but now will talk of how dangerous Tech can be with him.
Suggs will be a year more mature & all will say he 'must play better, but should with a yr under his belt'.
Gathers will return to bolster an already very good defense, but with loses that must be replaced.
Defensive line which started green Fr Parker & Henderson & So Malone & Hargrove will mature to a strong line.
OL only loses 1 starter & has a Sr ready to take over for him. Foshi will garner all-ACC support.
Smith is very dangerous & Curry must return to form a 1-2. Thomas, Bridges are experienced backups.
"I see GT picked 4th, no worse than 5th".

Ace,
You make good points about the returning talent.
But we had plenty of talent this year too.

Talent alone cannot overcome the obvious deficiencies of this coaching staff.
And the public saw them coach this team down all year....but especially a nationwide audience saw it specifically at the Ugag game. The staff had basically a full season under their belts by the Ugag game....and the 51-7 results were painfully obvious. A totally unprepared and unmotivated team showed up against their arch-rival.

The magazines and pollsters are likely to remember that over the fact that we still have plenty of talent left (thanks anyway Coach O'leary).

Good analysis, GT Ace. Also, I believe our much-maligned HC will lead the charge for a great year in '03!

Even with Tony Hollings we go 6-6 losing to FSU, NCST, UVA, Maryland, Auburn and UGA. I just cannot see us making the move against these teams. Another uh-oh to Clemson or Wake and we can go to the bottom in a hurry. I cannot remember a season where we do not have a loss that we should not have had.

Agree with Stateline as well as Beeware, the heart keeps hoping but the proof is in the pudding, and we don't have alot of tangible things to hope on.

Next year does not bode well without major changes. Travel to BYU, hosting Auburn, and playing an improving by year end Vandy at year end. No need to even dwell on the likely outcome of another rematch with Georgia.

In conference Va. and Wake have shot past us like meteors on the improvement curve. Clemson will be better and NCState, Maryland and FSU are above us.

I guess we can clash with Duke and UNC to see who can stay out of the bottom. This is not negative, just realistic that this program has some problems and without major overhaul the roof could cave in.

Originally posted by beeware:
Ace,
You make good points about the returning talent.
But we had plenty of talent this year too.

Talent alone cannot overcome the obvious deficiencies of this coaching staff.
And the public saw them coach this team down all year....but especially a nationwide audience saw it specifically at the Ugag game. The staff had basically a full season under their belts by the Ugag game....and the 51-7 results were painfully obvious. A totally unprepared and unmotivated team showed up against their arch-rival.

The magazines and pollsters are likely to remember that over the fact that we still have plenty of talent left (thanks anyway Coach O'leary).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think the magazines did the same to us this year based on last years team that was also woefully unprepared and unmotivated against its arch rival... you make it seem like this year was the first... thanks Coach O'Leary?? What movie are you watching?

How can anyone argue with Beeware on the coaching staff after the 51-7 drubbing. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I do think if GT had pulled out a victory against F$U, that we would have seen a whole different ballgame at UGAg, as our confidence level would have been much higher. It would have helped if Clinkscale hadn't a got injured at the end of the first quarter.

I'm a gonna give CG another year to show some improvement. I'm a hoping he can prove Beeware and ya'll wrong next year.

GT Ace:

Tony Hollings is a wonderful kid and did a great job leading the nation before his injury. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect him or any athlete to come back 100% from an ACL in 12 months.

I'm sure he will be back, but expecting him to come back as though it never happening just isn't realistic.

You're right on the money, 71bee.

History does not leave room for alot of optimism. ACL injuries are extremely difficult to bounce back from. Just ask Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Joe Hamilton(in NFLE), etc.

FH.. we lost to some FSU teams 42-10 and 49-3 in respective seasons under GOL... those losses didnt stop him from making improvements... as I have said in the past... I didnt like the GA loss... but there were alot of positives this past season.... game for game I liked this team much better than last years team... one season is not a chance... if recruiting seems to be a problem this year, and if next season is no improvement over this one... then I say get him out of here.... but today, I think we owe him a chance...

Wouldnt you want someone to give you a chance to fail before they called you a failure?

There will a lot of questions going into the season.Will the QBing improve?Can we replace DBs?Will the coaching get better/smarter?and probably most important,will either/both Hollings/Gathers come back 90%?
Based on all this we will be picked 6th probably.
Too many questions to be real optimistic.If CG goes 7-5 again, will be realistic.

Sad that we can't be optimistic about next year. I attribute that to the coaches. None of our question marks were answered on offense and we wasted a year we could have developed a QB. To expect Hollings back would not be realistic. A three or four win season could be on the horizon.

Wrecked,

How can you be so negative about the QB position. Al Pena is coming to spring practice. Ha.

I don't expect to be highly-regarded after the 51-7 drubbing (bowl win or loss notwithstanding).

Next year will be very important for Chan. He needs some rousing victories to show he has the program moving in the right direction. There's people that support Chan, hate Chan, and then there's alot of fence-sitters. He needs to win over the fence-sitters next year. Getting pounded by your state rival isn't going to win over anyone.

Personally, I'd like to see some wins in the Clem/FSU/UGA trifecta. Those are our biggest games and we haven't won a damn one of them since 2000. A good showing against Auburn wouldn't hurt. That's for sure.

I've been pro-Chan all year. I'm certainly not a Chan-hater. But I want to see us better prepared in big games than we showed in Athens. I'm willing to continue giving him a chance. Let's kick butt in the SV bowl...and then let's hope for a great recruiting class and a good spring.

So why do we care where the magazines and tv prognosticators pick us? I thought we all agreed they don't know what they are talking about? I mean espn says we did well with the adversity we faced this year, the loss at Ga notwithstanding. They must be wrong about that, so why would their predictions be correct?

I'm just glad you guys all have something to moan about for a whole off season, it should make your wait that much more enjoyable.

"statelinejacket"--I agree with you. There is no reason to rate TECH any higher than 7th in the conference next year, especially with the schedule. I'm expecting a 4-8 season. IMO Anything more than that would be a dream. We don't have it, and we now have another team in the state to deal with for the first time since the early 80's.

I hope our AD acts instead of reacts.

Back