Next year's schedule will kill any chance for rebound

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Next year\'s schedule will kill any chance for rebound

Gailey will be in a "must win" situation next year with the folks who decide his fate as coach. Fire-breathers like me want to see him replaced now, but he knows he's got next year to show improvement no matter how bad things got this year. So be it.
Hate to break it to the rose-colored crowd, but next year's schedule will be a killer. A well trained, mature, and talented team would have trouble with our schedule next year. We are none of the above. Every opponent will be improved or equal to this year's performance, Auburn comes on board, and wins at home last year will now call for away game road trips.
We may only be favored (maybe) in one or two games. Home games will be packed with thousands of additional visiting fans smelling blood all the way from the top of the new upper north stands. Our QB situation (and Line sit.) will be scary. Only the heartiest of season ticket holders will be able to stomach the assault to their senses that will occur next year. The Dark Ages of Ga. Tech Football return (see 1980,1981,1994). Grown men will cry.
So, Gailey is in a "no win" situation after all next year. He really only continues to be a millionaire a little longer. After all the dust eventually settles, and Gailey IS eventually fired, it will be the same few loyal Tech fans left to pick up the pieces, again.
A cancer ignored, and left to grow.....will.
BOO

Re: Next year\'s schedule will kill any chance for rebound

I was against CG’s hiring from the beginning. I believed we needed someone from the college ranks. This past season didn’t change my mind at all. I did come to the realization about halfway through the season that we were stuck with him for 4 years and we as fans couldn’t do anything about it. I dedicated myself to supporting the players and cheering them on. By the end of the season I begin to think that a change could occur after a couple of years if no improvement was made. After the Ugag embarrassment I thought maybe something could happen immediately. Since then I realized noting is going to change before this time next year.

BDG you make a very valid point. Next year will in all likelihood be worse. If next year is the make or break year for CG, why wait? Get someone else in. Let them start recruiting the high school underclassmen. Let them start building a program for the future not for just one more year.

I spoke to a friend that has some inside information who told me not all is well with the administration and CG. While this is strictly hearsay I believe it to have a little bit of creditability. The fact that GT has been totally silent on CG and has not offered any words of support lends creditability to what I was told. (Brings up another question. Why are the flats so quiet?)

With all this and what appears to be one of the toughest schedules in the country next year, Chan is destined to be fired. Why wait for the inevitable?

We are on the same page, 68.
I know a couple of old Black Watch guys with ties to Coach Spencer and ex-coach Roof. They have become very guarded with their comments of late. They are both concerned for their buddy Spencer, but very unhappy with Gailey.
BOO

GTLaker, both guys I know were very mad when Roof got his demotion, and eventually left. One hopes he comes back as Head Coach one day.
With regards to Gailey, the GTAA had an event this past summer for all Curry era lettermen at the Edge center. What these guys thought was going to be a fun get-together with their old coach turned out to be a fund-raiser by the GTAA for lettermen contributions. Bad timing, for many of the old players had just been notified about possibly being relocated in 2003 due to enhanced seating on the East Stands.
Gailey, and the baseball coach, spoke to the group. All were impressed by the Danny Hall, but Gailey seemed disconnected and unprepared when he spoke. He did not motivate the audience.
These guys have become very tight-lipped now about GT Football since the UGA game.
BOO

What is the opinion of the black Watch crew?

Could be. One thing's for sure they'll have to issue gags along with the pompoms to keep the boobirds from singing if Auburn rolls into Atlanta and gives us a good spanking.

Well in that case we probably should not even have off season work outs. No need in even playing the games next year. We don't have a chance. The players are waisting their time with hard work.
pat.gif

Ghost, as usual I agree with you on both the schedule and subsequent opinions regarding the '"stealth" persona of our coach. Both are bad omens for the future.

Back