NIl further

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
I see big money being talked about regarding NIL….. $500,000,000 one day? I wonder how far this could go before the NFL steps in and squashes it? There is no way the NFL will allow this big of money without taking a hard look at their product.
If 30 teams pull away and create the super college conference, The NCAA will not be a part of it and very quickly I would see going to school to not be necessary. In other words, 18-21 year old pro football with college names on the product. Why wouldn’t someone with money just start a pro football league for 18-21 year olds and put cities or states name on the product? I think the NFL has to be looking at all this and rethinking what they want to do. Otherwise the junior pro league will grow to a competitive senior league.?

gambler

Went all in with 80k
I see big money being talked about regarding NIL….. $500,000,000 one day? I wonder how far this could go before the NFL steps in and squashes it? There is no way the NFL will allow this big of money without taking a hard look at their product.
If 30 teams pull away and create the super college conference, The NCAA will not be a part of it and very quickly I would see going to school to not be necessary. In other words, 18-21 year old pro football with college names on the product. Why wouldn’t someone with money just start a pro football league for 18-21 year olds and put cities or states name on the product? I think the NFL has to be looking at all this and rethinking what they want to do. Otherwise the junior pro league will grow to a competitive senior league.?
Already been over this. The NFL won't touch it while they are getting a free farm league. It's too much liability to gamble on a player who may have development/durability issues and that's what 3 years of college proves.

500 mil is a drop in the bucket of total NFL budgets combined. Owners aren't looking to risk $1 to make $1, the returns have to be better. Players union gets involved, pensions and healthcare are added, it just isn't worth it to the NFL.

But that's just the problem with NIL. It is a further step into making college ball NFL Jr without the equal competition that exists at the pro level.

Bad thing for college sports imo. Just like the rest of the instant gratification world that is being created.... people won't realize it's terrible until too late.

GT98

Dodd-Like
I think the NFL has to be looking at all this and rethinking what they want to do. Otherwise the junior pro league will grow to a competitive senior league.?
Ummm, no. Unless you think that the college aged kids in your super conference keep playing as they mature/get older in that conference and compete w/the NFL???

clapper

Dodd-Like
Ummm, no. Unless you think that the college aged kids in your super conference keep playing as they mature/get older in that conference and compete w/the NFL???
If there's no NCAA (that's the joke) to regulate them, what's to keep them from keeping the players after 4-5 years? And at that point, the NFL changes their rules to be able to draft out of high school to be able to compete, which reduces the pool for colleges even further.

GT98

Dodd-Like
If there's no NCAA (that's the joke) to regulate them, what's to keep them from keeping the players after 4-5 years?
Money.

And who is going to pay for this junior league to compete with the NFL machine and pay the players commiserate with NFL rookie deals? And free agency money?

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Lol. There would be no interest in an 18-21 year old pro league with cities and states on the product. The universities are the draw in college football.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
For now, the universities are the draw but as it becomes more and more professional, I think less so.
And I believe when more and more money is pumped into the kids, the NFL will do something. What’s to say a star freshman QB gets $10,000,000 to stay and win a second NC before he leaves at 22? Or kids start bidding his services up instead of going to the worst team in the NFL. This league will get in the NFL’s way and before it gets too far out of hand, the NFL will step in: firstly by taking younger players, secondly by creating their own league.

TechAKnee

Flats Noob
For now, the universities are the draw but as it becomes more and more professional, I think less so.
And I believe when more and more money is pumped into the kids, the NFL will do something. What’s to say a star freshman QB gets $10,000,000 to stay and win a second NC before he leaves at 22? Or kids start bidding his services up instead of going to the worst team in the NFL. This league will get in the NFL’s way and before it gets too far out of hand, the NFL will step in: firstly by taking younger players, secondly by creating their own league.
I wish they would create their own league. If the portal and NIL gets us there then I can be patient.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Your scenario could potentially happen with a player ever year or two. Even then, it would have zero impact on the NFL if Trevor Lawrence played his senior year at Clemson or Tua player another year at Bama. I can’t see a scenario where the nfl would care about 1 guy; there’s never a rookie that influences the nfl that much.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
NIL just exposes the money that was already being spent. No reason for the nfl to step in.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Your scenario could potentially happen with a player ever year or two. Even then, it would have zero impact on the NFL if Trevor Lawrence played his senior year at Clemson or Tua player another year at Bama. I can’t see a scenario where the nfl would care about 1 guy; there’s never a rookie that influences the nfl that much.
I just think that anything that competes with the NFL is going to be addressed directly by the NFL.

GT98

Dodd-Like
I just think that anything that competes with the NFL is going to be addressed directly by the NFL.
The college football super duper whatever conference wouldn’t be competing with the NFL. The super duper whatever conference won’t have the money to retain players and grow into a league competing with the NFL.

Absurd.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
I agree, but that just means that CFB will take care not to compete with the NFL.

There is a ton of money to be made by running CFB as a development system for the NFL. It's definitely a symbiotic relationship.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
NFL can leave it be. They don't have to financially support a farm league as long as the structure in place for colleges can fund it. Fans have pretty much voted with their hard earned $$$ that they don't care if the players aren't real students. As long as they have that A or G, etc on their helmet we will support them.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
It’s not that difficult to imagine a $10M college player (top QB, Clowney type DE)…if so, I think college kids will stay in college for ten years, which is where this is headed.

GT98

Dodd-Like
It’s not that difficult to imagine a $10M college player (top QB, Clowney type DE)…if so, I think college kids will stay in college for ten years, which is where this is headed.
Actually it is incredibly difficult for me to understand how you think the new college/becoming professional conference/league/whatever is going to have the money to pay for this? Such a college player would be quite rare and whomever that talent was/is would not sustain the viewership necessary to fund a broader league of what I assume you are thinking is 22-25 year olds.

Surely, you know the history of leagues that were created to try and compete w/the NFL and everyone went bankrupt at some point trying to compete.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Actually it is incredibly difficult for me to understand how you think the new college/becoming professional conference/league/whatever is going to have the money to pay for this? Such a college player would be quite rare and whomever that talent was/is would not sustain the viewership necessary to fund a broader league of what I assume you are thinking is 22-25 year olds.

Surely, you know the history of leagues that were created to try and compete w/the NFL and everyone went bankrupt at some point trying to compete.
Yes but there is one very large difference. Bama, UGA and Texas A&M want it all now, every penny. They could care less about the carnage. And that one very big thing that is different. Bama has been playing for 135 years and has a very long connection to the fans. When new leagues form, there is no connection. How easy it will be to have a good team and then just keep on going for four more years...17 game seasons, playoffs for many, 10 year careers. Three times the current money is available. I just think the risk will have the NFL's attention.