NIL starts today

My thinking is that with deals like the above….it will get to the point of who can offer the highest base salary.

I think that you're right. Given the realities of GT and its alumni base, how does the NIL not just become an arms race for the biggest 20 or so schools that have lots of alumni/sidewalk fans that don't mind blowing money on the team in hopes of supporting a "winner?"

What if one of them doesn’t accept because the number is too small?
This is my thought as well. The deal would most likely prevent players from signing with anyone who could be deemed a competitor. It's likely several players could pull in over $6k a year in their own deal. Offers like this will make for interesting locker room dynamics.

This is my thought as well. The deal would most likely prevent players from signing with anyone who could be deemed a competitor. It's likely several players could pull in over $6k a year in their own deal. Offers like this will make for interesting locker room dynamics.
Was wondering the same on locker room dynamics. In addition to your point- for example, will the O-Line tell the QB and RB to give them a portion of their earnings since they pave the way for their on-field success? That could continue to get interesting.

I doubt they put such restrictive language in the contract since the American Top Team owner is huge Miami fan and he is doing this for the players.

My thinking is that with deals like the above….it will get to the point of who can offer the highest base salary.

I think an interesting angle here is going to be how this affects players who are processed, or attempted to be processed. If a scholarship player is making $25-50 in NIL salary at Miami he is going to be much less favorable to the conversation where he is told to look elsewhere. Where that player saw playing time at FIU as a better alternative in the past, he may see being buried at Miami while getting paid as better. Likewise, does the processed player put on a medical RS get paid equally to his peers? NIL will change the dynamics of nearly everything on CFB

I think an interesting angle here is going to be how this affects players who are processed, or attempted to be processed. If a scholarship player is making $25-50 in NIL salary at Miami he is going to be much less favorable to the conversation where he is told to look elsewhere. Where that player saw playing time at FIU as a better alternative in the past, he may see being buried at Miami while getting paid as better. Likewise, does the processed player put on a medical RS get paid equally to his peers? NIL will change the dynamics of nearly everything on CFB

you don’t have to agree to be processed.

So I get this daily sports email from yahoo. Think because of fantasy football. Regardless of the reason, the top story today was on the Miami situation. Brought some additional details I hadn't heard, as well as some additional thoughts on potential downstream impacts I hadn't thought of. I present for your reading pleasure:

Show U the money​
(Michael Wagstaffe/Yahoo Sports illustration)
By Dan Wetzel

So what exactly will college sports look like now that athletes have the ability to profit off their name, image and likeness? While no one knows for sure, one model might be emerging at the University of Miami.

Dan Lambert is a Hurricane fan and a South Florida businessman who owns America’s Top Team, a string of famed MMA training gyms.

This week he founded a new company — Bring Back the U — which is designed to link local businesses with Miami football players for sponsorship deals. The first client? None other than America’s Top Team, which will pay $500 per month to all 90 Miami football players in exchange for promotional work. It’ll cost ATT $540,000 annually.

Essentially, if you come to play for the Canes, you are assured tuition, room, board … and $6,000 a year in endorsement money. If — or when — Lambert brings in more businesses, that’s guaranteed income, even for benchwarmers, will increase.

Lambert thinks that will attract better players and, in turn, produce a better team.

“I’m just a longtime Canes fan and I’ve always wanted to do things to help,” Lambert told CaneSport.com.

Bring Back the U could be the prototype for the country. The company will charge no fees and essentially just wants to serve as a conduit between local businesses and football players who can be sponsored either individually or as a group.

It will work a little like the school’s fundraising department — although it will actually compete with that entity. Rather than donations going to coaches' salaries or facility improvements, the money will go directly to players, which Lambert believes will provide a better return on investment for the companies.

“I’m hoping it gets a bunch of publicity and more people say, ‘That’s a great idea,’ ” Lambert said.

Of course, this could be a problem for other sports at the U, which need donations to maintain funding. Rather than filling general athletic department coffers, the revenue will go to players. Does that mean budgets or even entire non-revenue teams might need to be slashed? Who knows? But that’s business.

Besides, if Miami gets back to being a truly elite program, the school will still make plenty via increased ticket sales, merchandise and other revenue streams.

Either way, Dan Lambert has a smart plan for his beloved Hurricane football program. If it works — and it should — don’t be surprised if it gets copied all over the country.​

you don’t have to agree to be processed.

Certainly, but it’s often sold as a best for the player or best for the team alternative. If you are taking paychecks away and money off the table that conversation looks very different — and likely gets much uglier in the public eye.

Last edited:
So I get this daily sports email from yahoo. Think because of fantasy football. Regardless of the reason, the top story today was on the Miami situation. Brought some additional details I hadn't heard, as well as some additional thoughts on potential downstream impacts I hadn't thought of. I present for your reading pleasure:

Exactly this. There will be packages of deals. Money, food, entertainment, ….cars and housing even

Exactly this. There will be packages of deals. Money, food, entertainment, ….cars and housing even
Until people lose interest and realize a better model for college football is needed

Who wants to watch minor league football

What about the JT Daniels deal? Dude could make 7 figures….

We need Waffle House to step it up in a hurry
Unfortunately, waffle house has 3-4 better alternatives just based on fanbase size alone within a couple hours of Atlanta. I think we are going to struggle to take advantage of NIL until we can become an exciting team that people like to watch.

Unfortunately, waffle house has 3-4 better alternatives just based on fanbase size alone within a couple hours of Atlanta. I think we are going to struggle to take advantage of NIL until we can become an exciting team that people like to watch.
If that were the case, they would have been supporting those 3-4 better alternatives already.

Hard to see how this ends well for GT. Recruits will soon choose schools based on likely sponsorship deal money. Sponsorship deal money is proportional to the money in the fan base (basically proportional to the number of fans for that school). We have many times fewer fans than the big schools.

Selling points for GT have been education and the city. Those things are devalued when income becomes a major criterion in school selection.

Might be a whole new way to look at internships. Get paid and receive scholastic credit at the same time.

Helpful and descriptive email from Stansbury/AT Fund this morning:

Dear A-T Fund Members,

As many of you are aware, beginning on July 1, NCAA student-athletes are now permitted to utilize their name, image and likeness (NIL) for compensation. The opportunities for student-athletes to benefit financially from their NIL are wide-ranging, from participating in autograph signings, to running camps, to promoting products via social media posts, to starting their own companies.

At Georgia Tech, we feel our student-athletes are well-positioned to maximize opportunities due to our location in the vibrant Atlanta market and the values of our Institute, which has produced some of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs. Tech Athletics is committed to investing in education and resources that will allow our student-athletes to take full advantage of NIL opportunities that are available to them. This commitment includes the 404 Academy, which is a popular and successful series of seminars that aim to educate, elevate and empower Georgia Tech student-athletes to navigate the NIL landscape.

In addition to educating and empowering our student-athletes, we also want to take this opportunity to pass along key information to you – our most loyal supporters – on how you may and may not engage with student-athletes in the NIL space.

You may:
• contact student-athletes directly to discuss and arrange NIL opportunities, including but not limited to promotional appearances and product endorsements;
• compensate student-athletes in cash, products or services in exchange for NIL activity at a fair market rate.

You may not:
• compensate student-athletes based on athletic performance or pay-for-play;
• offer NIL compensation in exchange for a student-athlete enrolling at Georgia Tech (recruiting inducement);
• arrange for compensation that does not require NIL activity in return.

Student-athletes may:
• accept compensation for permissible NIL activities;
• utilize professional services (e.g. agent, lawyer, financial advisor, etc.) for NIL-related activities – however, these services may not be utilized to secure an opportunity as a professional athlete.

Student-athletes must:
• wear and utilize Georgia Tech-issued athletics gear and equipment while on-call for practice, competition and/or other official Georgia Tech activities;
• disclose all NIL activities and agreements/contracts to Georgia Tech.

Please also note three other key points:
1. Georgia Tech or any officer, director, employee or agent (e.g. coach, staff member, etc.) may not directly or indirectly compensate or cause compensation to be directed to a student-athlete.
2. NIL activities/agreements may not include tobacco and/or CBD products, sports wagering or illegal activities.
3. Georgia Tech marks (e.g. logos) may not be included in any NIL activity without permission from Georgia Tech and/or an official licensing partner.

NIL policies and guidelines are subject to change, especially in the likelihood that federal laws and/or NCAA legislation will be passed in the future that provide nationwide NIL governance. In the meantime, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding NIL activities, please direct them to Georgia Tech Assistant A.D. for Special Projects Simit Shah at sshah@athletics.gatech.edu.

Thank you for your continued support and Go Jackets!

Todd Stansbury IMGT '84
Director of Athletics

Back