"Nix interested in Tulane Job" per AJC 11/30

ramblin_man

Jolly Good Fellow
Patrick Nix says in this article that he's very interested in the HC position although he hasn't been contacted yet. He also makes it known that he is wants a HC position if not at Tulane then he's open to others as well.... Who would replace him at the OC position if he ends up leaving? Would this hurt our recruiting efforts "verbals" for 07 on the offensive side?
link: http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2006/11/29/1130gtnix.html

I hope we find someone quickly that is qualified if this does happen. Wonder if that and the QB situation would now be enough for Calvin to bid farewell & go onto make MILLION$$$$! Especially if he wins the player of the year award...not sure his stock will get any higher. :bowdown: :biggthumpup:

I'd be surprised if he was seriously considered...at this stage of his career his ambition is greater than his proven ability. Nonetheless, I wish him all the best.
fran

Tulane's not going to get another HC anywhere to make a lateral move. I think if Nix is offered he should go.

Tulane is a stepping stone job and might be good for him.

What if he goes?

What does GT do if he goes? Do you think Chan would hire another OC and let him have complete control of the offense? Or would he bring in someone young again and "groom" him as he did with Nix? I think that now that he is given up playcalling, it would take some serious cahones to grab it back - he would almost have to get an OC I think. I just think that too many people would raise hell if he tried to take control again of the plays...Who could we realistically look at getting out in the market, or would we promote from within??? How much could this end up costing us? How much was Nix making these days?

Do you think Chan would hire another OC and let him have complete control of the offense? Or would he bring in someone young again and "groom" him as he did with Nix?

I think that with the departure of O'Brian, Gailey was caught in a situation where we simply couldn't afford the $$ for a top OC, and Nix was right there with a boatload of potential, so CCG decided to take the reins himself while preparing Nix.

I don't think he'll go that route again.

It's not like our offense is a rocket shooting, fire breathing scoring machine. I can't imagine a new OC being a downgrade unless Gailey takes over again. I see a lot of potential for improvement at the OC spot, but Nix is a good recruiter.

Does anyone seriously think that CG would NOT take back the Off Coord job by hiring or promoting a young guy and saying that he needs "seasoning".This is a action/disaster waiting to happen.

This is a action/disaster waiting to happen.

Nix isn't going anywhere. Nobody's going to hire him until he coaches an offense that can complete more than 50% of its passes, regardless of personell issues.

I doubt it would happen this soon (but what do I know)!

But if it did, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gailey move Buddy Geis into that role. He's got a good bit of experience in both college & pro, including being an offensive coordinator.

I think that Radakovich would demand that Gailey hire an OC. He already knows most of the fan base would scream bloody murder if CG resumed the play calling.

I don't think anyone would need to demand Chan do anything. I think he's become comfortable with things the way they are and seems to be enjoying having more involvement with the whole team.

Well guys, if you want some more good news, rumors say that Tenuta is Texas's number one target for their recently vacated DC position.

It would be sad to see either Nix or Tenuta leave. They'll both have plenty of seniors to work with next year.

refrigeratormover said:
Tulane's not going to get another HC anywhere to make a lateral move. I think if Nix is offered he should go.

Tulane is a stepping stone job and might be good for him.

Pat is a good man who would get kicked in the teeth if he made this move. He's just not ready for a Tulane. Maybe an Alabama but that's not going to happen.

Few more years, that right bounce.

JTS said:
It's not like our offense is a rocket shooting, fire breathing scoring machine. I can't imagine a new OC being a downgrade unless Gailey takes over again. I see a lot of potential for improvement at the OC spot, but Nix is a good recruiter.

Nix does not recruit anymore....extremely rare when he does. He was good at it when it was his assignment.

floridajacket said:
Well guys, if you want some more good news, rumors say that Tenuta is Texas's number one target for their recently vacated DC position.

It would be sad to see either Nix or Tenuta leave. They'll both have plenty of seniors to work with next year.

Don't listen to rumors....Texas will hire Joe Kines as DC.

Last edited:
Back