No real progress on D

Their inexperienced QB completes 70% of his passes and the third string RB runs for 200 yards? Yeah, D sure looks great.

I love to come here after a loss and see how stupid some people are. OP is in the early lead.

OP is on crack. D played well enough to win, despite getting put in ööööty situations repeatedly by the special teams and offense.

Cost multiple timeouts. Was ND louder than most road opponents?

No, but we broke the huddle late (as usual), so by the time we audibled, there'd only be a few seconds on the play clock.

The defense was not great today. Continued our bad of habit of playing two good downs and giving up big plays on third and long. There is no excuse for having ND 3rd and long and somehow giving their best wideout single coverage with no safety help, not once, but twice. Giving up the long run was weak and put the game virtually out of reach.

They were not great, but they were good. I'd give them a B- grade. If the QB, offensive line and field goal kicker had not earned a D or F we could have won the game.

Our O couldn't stay on the öööö field. Of course the D faltered down the stretch.

Thought we got some better pressure than I anticipated. Potential there.

Maybe my biggest disappointment of day - giving up, on their goal line , the longest td run in n.d. stadium history.

Add that to 2 missed FG, TD called back.

Can't win that way. And on days like that the D has to win it for you.

I thought the defense played pretty öööö good. If the offense had played like the machine they are supposed to be the defense would have played even better. Defense was not the problem today.

Defense played fine. Can't expect them to stay on top of it through 4quarters of 3 and out. It wasn't just 1-12 on Third down it was a TON of 3 and out or single first down drives by the offense that did us in. Hard to tell if it was all execution or if the play calling wasn't there today. I thought we found something to exploit on our first TD drive with the rocket Toss but then they seemed to adjust and we didn't go back to it. We tried to throw vertical routes against man and weren't able to keep nd honest. ND played well on defense but we also played really bad on offense. Not blocking enough for the dive to be effective will do that. They were stopping the dive without committing many resources to it, and that doesn't work for our offense

Their inexperienced QB completes 70% of his passes and the third string RB runs for 200 yards? Yeah, D sure looks great.

Issue this game was not the D. It was O (specifically blocking) and ST (specifically kicking). What game were you watching?

I looked at the numbers after the game and was shocked. The D played incredibly well despite what the numbers show. One 80 yard TD run in desperation time skews things a lot.

91 yard TD run skewed rushing stats. Long TD pass courtesy of an uncalled push off helped passing stats. QB did OK but some good receivers helped him out a lot - they weren't dropping much, and made a couple of circus catches.

It was frustrating to watch, but the D did enough overall if the O had had even an average day.

JRjr

I honestly think that the Offense would have had an okay day had the refs actually called any of the defensive penalties against Notre Dame and not created penalties against Tech.

The defense was not great today. Continued our bad of habit of playing two good downs and giving up big plays on third and long. There is no excuse for having ND 3rd and long and somehow giving their best wideout single coverage with no safety help, not once, but twice. Giving up the long run was weak and put the game virtually out of reach.

They were not great, but they were good. I'd give them a B- grade. If the QB, offensive line and field goal kicker had not earned a D or F we could have won the game.
we were 0-9 on third down at one point. That keeps putting our undersized, undermanned, albeit courageous defense back out there. In most games they are on the sidelines ten or 12 minutes more than they were yesterday.

Is this a joke? The defense played very well today. They got us two turnovers and held them to only 19 points until the end of the third despite the offense going three and out a gazillion times and a kicking game that kept giving them the ball at midfield.

In reality it was less than that given that one TD was a clear push-off. Can't really fault the D for it.

Blaming this loss on the defense is of course ridiculous. The offense was out-schemed and outplayed most of the game. Despite that, Butker has to take a good portion of blame here - you can't miss opportunities to put points on the board against a top 10 team on the road ...that's deflating to the entire team.

We were outplayed but still had opportunities to win the game, but in the end it's a loss, a step back for the program where a win would've vaulted us into the top 10. Instead we probably fall back to 22-25.

This however was one of two games on the schedule we could afford to lose, the other being either Clemson or FSU, but not both.

Still a lot of football to be played and still the opportunity to accomplish quite a bit. Let's get ready for Duke.

Back