NOBODY could have done a better job

Wrecked

Varsity Lurker
Originally posted by texstinger:
of hurting GT than clough & braine. We have more foreign students than a school the size of ugag. 49% of the total student body is out of state or foreign. 36% of undergrads out of state or foreign. Yet braine & clough say we can only recruit about 18% of the S/A's from Georgia. That is right taxpayers, send us your money but do not expect us to give your child a fair shot, we have our eye on this kid from afganistan enrolling! It isn't bark madley's fault, it isn't the auc's fault, it isn't even ugag's fault. It is ours. And nobdy has the nerve to face it and do something about it. If we do not want to be a STATE OF GEORGIA UNIVERSITY then we need to stop taking the taxpayers money and become a private school. How many takers we got? No. Then serve the friggin taxpayers and students and S/A's of the state of Georgia first and do what is right. Until then we can just stop the crying about the newspapers or anything else like that. It is up to us to turn this thing around by demanding clough take the damn responsiblity.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Those freakin foreigners!!! This would be a great country if it wasn't for them. This is ridiculous. Just looking at the undergraduate number, 64% of undergrads coming from the state seems about right considering the state only picks up 35% of Tech's overall budget. Student tuition (which out of staters and foreigners pay signficantly more) and federal grants are the next biggest sources of revenue. I am not sure what you are bitching about. Are you saying that Tech should have more in-state students because of state taxes. By that argument a person paying more in state taxes than another Georgia resident should have a bigger claim on a spot at Tech. I don't think you are suggesting that.

I do agree that as far as SA's are concerned, Tech can do a better job recruiting in state. I think they are using "poor" high school academics as an excuse for not having a network established in state. This is an area Chan has to improve on.

TS,

I will give you respect because you have more life experience than I do.

But...
you prove with every post exactly what is wrong with the American Education System.

If people with your views got their way, high school seniors would be taking simple arithmetic and reading from a hornbook.

You are such an anti-intellectual that you can't see past Gwinnett.

The rest of state is a great place to live, wonderful to raise a family, but hasn't even made it past 1966.

Atlanta has dragged the state of georgia kicking and screaming out of the old south.

Georgia Tech is NOT a regional engineering school anymore. It is world-class.

Look at what you're advocating, a place where best is defined as being home grown.

Brother, you need to go buy some Southern Tech apparel, because that's what you're screaming for.

I'll be here in the 21st century if you'd like to join me.

I thought GT had more to offer than engineering? As it should in this day and age. Keep expanding the opportunities of our diverse student body with more opportunities like Stanford and Duke have. That certainly wouldnt hurt us in this World now would it.

of hurting GT than clough & braine. We have more foreign students than a school the size of ugag. 49% of the total student body is out of state or foreign. 36% of undergrads out of state or foreign. Yet braine & clough say we can only recruit about 18% of the S/A's from Georgia. That is right taxpayers, send us your money but do not expect us to give your child a fair shot, we have our eye on this kid from afganistan enrolling! It isn't bark madley's fault, it isn't the auc's fault, it isn't even ugag's fault. It is ours. And nobdy has the nerve to face it and do something about it. If we do not want to be a STATE OF GEORGIA UNIVERSITY then we need to stop taking the taxpayers money and become a private school. How many takers we got? No. Then serve the friggin taxpayers and students and S/A's of the state of Georgia first and do what is right. Until then we can just stop the crying about the newspapers or anything else like that. It is up to us to turn this thing around by demanding clough take the damn responsiblity.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
rolleyes.gif

moresensethanyou.jpeg

If you want to know how much Georgia taxpayers give towards Tech, look at the following link:

GT Financial for fiscal 2002

State approriations plus student tuition and fees (which out of state and foreigners pay more) put together pays for less than 50% of all Tech expenses. And you don't think having around 65% of the student body being from GA is enough?

Also, out of state and foreigners have to have significantly higher grades and SAT scores than instate GA kids to come to Tech. You don't think its worth bringing in some of the smartest kids in the country to Tech? Since 1998, the university implemented tuition hikes for out of state/country students so they always pay all of their cost of eduction. See the link below from the USG site.

Regents about Tuition increases

Check your facts baby. We've done this foreign thing before and the % of Tech students form foreign countries is almost exactly the same as Ugag. Your constant harping on out of state students is also ridiculous. Recruiting for sports has nothing to do with state of origin. If kids from GA who can play can't handle the academics, that's their problem as well as GAs public school system. It's not Tech's.

BTW you start this about every 6 months. Did your alarm clock go off this morning of something?

Tex, I can understand your nationalistic feeling, but having a problem with out of staters? C'mon!

Do you really care about the overall demographics of Tech, or are you bitching that we sometimes can't recruit the big DT that ugag and AU will sign out of south Ga. It won't change for now, and hopefully it never will.

Anybody in the state is full within their rights, as are out of state students, to apply at Tech. Unfortunately, many students in the state either want to take the path of least resistance (UGAg) or simply don't have what it takes to be Tech students. Of course, our public schools are littered with UGAg grads that teach our kids all about great Bulldawg football, like one of the teachers my daughter had last year. So what should we expect? At least Tech has a national and international reputation of producing high quality graduates, UGAg does not have that reputation.

As usual, ALL WRONG. (Kinda kidding guys). Obviously since I am just a GT lover and not a grad I am too stupid to make you understand. Perhaps not good enough for the "Tech Men's" board. The point is 82% of state of Georgia S/A's should not automatically be dismissed. It is not about "foreigners." It is about winning. I just think most of you folks, from your response, would rather not bee associated with the state of Georgia. So why would it not bee best to become a private school?

NCJ, the alarm did not go off this morning. But it, once again, was in the paper when your average Joe on the street sent in a question regarding what he had heard about GT's student body makeup. If you do not think this is an issue with the taxpayers of this state, you know the people we are trying to sell tickets to, then you are in error I beelieve. The facts I based it on are from the man quoted who works at GT, and from an article in the auc several weeks ago. The article was one of a very positive note about foreign exchange students at state universities. It showed the stats and GT has appx. 2800 vs ugag's appx 1300. As always, do not care how many non-Ga. S/A's we have if they can beat ugag, just as long as S/A's from this state are not automatically dismissed.

texstinger, I think you still miss my point. If GA SAs are not considered it's because of their lack of effort in the classroom, not something Tech is or isn't doing. I agree 100% that if they show they can do the work they should be given a shot if our coaches think they can help. But I don't think they should get any special consideration just because they are from GA.

Now if you're saying that Tech should have some percentage of GA kids overall that's something for the Board of Regents to work through. Ugag should have a higher percentage of GA residents IMO. It's the land grant college of the state and has a different mission than Tech. GA benefits from Tech in many ways other than the number of kids who go there. The research dollars, the non-resident students who stay in GA after graduation, and the number of companies started by Tech grads all are beneficial to GA.

Hmm, and I wonder what percentage of these students are staying here after graduating? Right now, on this board, the % that I care about is the won/loss vs. ugag. We have to do a better job of getting state of Ga. S/A's plain and simple.

The point is 82% of state of Georgia S/A's should not automatically be dismissed.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">But Tex; the problem is, has been and always will be, 82% of the state of Georgia S/As that are qualified to come to Tech DO NOT WANT TO COME TO TECH! THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN COMING TO TECH! They don't want the work load, they don't want to live in Atlanta, they don't want to take calculus, they don't want to take industrial management or engineering, their family would disown them if they come to Tech, their friends would make fun of them for coming to Tech.

The Georgia Institute of Technology will always have to search nationwide for top quality athletes who also happen to want to put forth the effort and have the qualifications to become the leaders of the future in whatever endevor they chose. Our recruiters cannot spend time to attempt to correct the bias against Tech that most Georgia HS student embrace. Georgia Tech has a national, in fact, international prominance based in academics that serves the recruiters well and in order to have the success on the field we all expect they have to exploit that prominance on a national level.

It's the only way we can compete without changing what Tech is and compromising the international reputation GT enjoys. There's some that want to do that for the sake of attracting football stars who want to attend college for football. I say let's remain focused on the stars that want to excell not only on the gridiron, but in life after football as well. And there simply ain't enough of them in Georgia to fill our needs.

texstinger, no argument about the w-l record. And I would like to get the best players we can wherever they are from. In state players cost less, and presumably are easier to impress so I have nothing against them. Just don't agree with any of your other points.

BTW, a little research unearthed the following.

In 2002 Tech had 590 foreign undergrads of a total population of 10,867. Of that total undergrad enrollment 7339 were from GA. Grad school is where most of the foreign student are, 2252 of 5022.

Ugag reported a total enrollment of 24,771 undergrad and 7958 grad. I couldn't find a clear breakdown, but they report 4.2% foreign and 81% Ga residents. That does come out to about 1340 foreign students. My guess is that most GA foreign students are in grad school as well.

If you look at the kinds of programs we have those numbers make perfect sense. GA has law for example and we don't. You wouldn't expect to find many foreign students in law school. Tech on the other hand is heavy in engineering and math, exactly where you would expect foreign students since they are universal in their application. And you'll also note in GA's website a program aimed at increasing diversity on campus. It's pretty well accepted in higher education that a diverse student body leads to a better education. It provides new ideas and better competition.

Finally Tech reported about $42M in new investment capital and 662 jobs created in 2001/2002 (not sure which) due to programs related to Tech.

My point being, if you want us to recruit more GA football players that's fine. But your carping on some perceived insult to GA you're way out of line. And by any statistical analysis you're wrong. Now if we need to do a better job with PR that's one thing. But that's a whole different story.

GEETEELEE, no it is not because 82% are qualified that do not want to come. It is because clough has decreed that 82% are not qualified and for a state institution that is out of line with regards to serving your "customers." And it has not "always" been that way. I do not think dodd recruited all over the country, and I am not against that. We need to do a better job of serving the taxpayers of this state. Who are we trying to sell tickets to anyway?

GEETEELEE, no it is not because 82% are qualified that do not want to come. It is because clough has decreed that 82% are not qualified and for a state institution that is out of line with regards to serving your "customers." And it has not "always" been that way. I do not think dodd recruited all over the country, and I am not against that. We need to do a better job of serving the taxpayers of this state. Who are we trying to sell tickets to anyway?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Blah,Blah,Blah

"Why can't Tech be what it was 50 years ago?
I don't want my school to have an international reputation and source of pride for the state."

The more you speak, the more obvious it becomes you want Tech to an incompetent worthless school with a really great football team attached.

Get with the program and appreciate a Top Ten Public University with a Top 25 football team.
We've got one and we're 5 good bounces from the other.

texstinger -- I suggest you adopt one of the service academies as your new school.

It is because clough has decreed that 82% are not qualified
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I would have put the figure more around 90%. Tech ain't for everybody. You sayin' you want to dumb down Tech in order to make it easier to field a fricking football team ??

The Georgia Institute of Technology can, has and will be able to field a football team that is competitive and do it within the rules and do it without compromising its academic integrity. If you want to do it the easy way, go pull for some SEC school.

Back