NOBODY could have done a better job

Well let us see. (1) "your saying you want to dumb down the school for the sake of a ... football team." Never said that. But to put it another way, you want an elitist school that wants the taxpayers to support you without giving their children a chance to go here. I do not think you are saying that either. (2) from another poster. "you should support one of the service acadimies for your school" or some nonsense like that. What the hell are you taking? (3) from fla. something about 50 years ago, when it was GEETEELEE saying something about GT never having been attractive to GA S/A's or somthing along those lines. Then I simply want to know where dodd got his kids from. I just think a lot of people are stuck in this elitist "Tech Man" BS mode and have allowed themselves to have lower expectations. Do you guys think we would be better off as a private school? Why/Why not. International reputation crap. I would rather have a better rep inside the state of Georgia. Do not give a damn what some korean thinks of Ga. Tech. If the school of management was operating like the AA what would you do?

Originally posted by texstinger:
Well let us see. (1) "your saying you want to dumb down the school for the sake of a ... football team." Never said that. But to put it another way, you want an elitist school that wants the taxpayers to support you without giving their children a chance to go here. I do not think you are saying that either. (2) from another poster. "you should support one of the service acadimies for your school" or some nonsense like that. What the hell are you taking? (3) from fla. something about 50 years ago, when it was GEETEELEE saying something about GT never having been attractive to GA S/A's or somthing along those lines. Then I simply want to know where dodd got his kids from. I just think a lot of people are stuck in this elitist "Tech Man" BS mode and have allowed themselves to have lower expectations. Do you guys think we would be better off as a private school? Why/Why not. International reputation crap. I would rather have a better rep inside the state of Georgia. Do not give a damn what some korean thinks of Ga. Tech. If the school of management was operating like the AA what would you do?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Point 1:
Yep, an elitist school that taxpayers support are known as the "Public Ivies"
I know you've heard of the University of Michigan or the University of Virginia.

Don't confuse elitist with being elite. The former is a unrealistic view of oneself, the second is the cream of the crop.

Point 2: The service academies are the best at what they do. Their football programs provide a meaningful and necessary escape from corp life.

Point 3: Reread your statements and you should see that what you are advocating, whether for the SA's or Student Body, is a regional engineering school. There's a quote in "Dress Her in White and Gold" saying outside of Georgia, Tech was known as a "a great football team with a pretty good regional engineering school attached."

That's the crux of your position.

It's nice to see you're a xenophobe as well as anti-intellectual. That Asian/European/Indian/Canadian/Yankee kid is the reason your family lives in a climate controlled multi-story home.

If the school of management operate like the AA, they'd be just outside of the top tier of mgt. schools, because their students don't like to pay for classroom upgrades and complains about having to pay increases for each credit hour.

Bottom line, Dodd didn't coach in a time where most players were in college to go pro.
He had the luxury of offering a quality education and experience that benefited those players.

It's unreal to see the number of ball players who are excellent businessmen from those days.

Unfortunately, players my age and younger rarely have any interest in getting an education. They just want to use their athletic ability to get paid either by the NFL, an agent, a booster, or the cute girl at the club.

Originally posted by texstinger:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Texstinger - You are an idiot. I am glad that I have a venue to tell you that.

Tech is, and always will be an academic institution above all else. I'm sure what this taxpayer crap is all about? Kids from the state of Georgia don't have to pay to go to Tech anyway. I'm pretty sure 100% of in-state students enter the institute with the Hope scholarship. Meanwhile, out-of-state students like myself pay 3x the cost instate tuition to attend GT.

Why? Because it's worth it. Why didn't I go to Auburn? Because Tech's reputation beats the hell out of Auburn and any other engineering school in the South. I can't fathom how you don't understand how important the out-of-state reputation is for Tech.

Personally, it makes me proud to think the school that awarded me my undergraduate degree is recognized and respected by people all over the world.

As for Tech becoming a private school, I think that's a horrible idea. It'll never happen, so I'm not even going to waste my time explaining why it's a bad idea.

Back