Non-I85 Route Atlanta-Clemson

Goldtimer

Varsity Lurker
Some have posted a ziz-zag route to bypass the I-85 paving backup. Use that if you prefer.

Another way is to avoid I-85 altogether (other than south of Jimmy Carter).

I'll call it the Buford Highway (23) / I-985 / Toccoa (via 123 & 17) / Seneca (76) route. Basically, you're traveling parallel to I-85 but NW of it. Since Clem is NW of I-85, it's really a more direct route. And, if you pass Jimmy Carter on Buford highway at 7PM, you'll be parked by 9:30.

If interested, directions are at
http://gtw.swiki.net/239

It's not fully illustrated yet - I hope to add the images tonight or tomorrow AM, but if you watch for the road signs at the mileages indicated, it's pretty straightforward.

If you really prefer X-ways, follow the instructions posted by others to bypass the paving, then take the exits for Highways 59, 187, or 76 to get to Clemson. (I linked the 59/Seneca back way recommended in '00).

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for the directions. An alternate route to Toccoa for those that do not like near I85 is to take 400 to 369.

Thx, Goldmember. I'll add (when I get a chance) a note that those closer to 400 than Buford Hwy should take 400 than 369 to Toccoa and pick up the trail from there.

A friend of mine called the DOT today, and the lady working there said there will be no construction on I-85 in either direction this weekend. Hey, they called off construction over labor-day, why not Tech-Clemson weekend? Anyway, if you don't believe a friend of an internet friend (I understand), try calling yourself.

I'm going to try driving the "BACK DOOR ROUTE TO CLEMSON via Seneca" (that sounds funny), and hopefully there won't be any I-85 traffic.

NEVERMIND. No I-85 work this weekend.

C420's friend is correct.

Ch. 2 is so reporting on their website,
if you want an "authoritative" source.

Oh well, at least we know a backup route for any future road blockages, and some find find I-985 a quick route to the mountains for leaf-gazing in the fall or to pick up "whiskey clear" anytime.

I'd still recommend the Fair Play / Seneca backdoor route off I-85 which is linked at the link.

Wish I'd called earlier, and spent my time developing the Fair Play / Cherry Road route, which is even better.

Calling the Highway Dept. was Step 1 in my plan, but I made an assumption and skipped it. We know what making assumptions makes one. ;-)

Goldtimer,

I might like to try my hand at the Cherry St. adventure route. The guys on Tiger Net say that you cannot access Perimeter Rd. from backdoor 93 entrance, he said they make you go into Lot 13. I don't know if this is correct or not.

However I would like to see the "adventure route" if you want to post it.

Back