"Not bad for 80th ranked recruiting classes, huh Mark?"

My lesson from this is that a Top 25 class in 2010 led to a 2014 Orange Bowl. Time to hit the recruiting trail!
kinda funny... when you look at the players signed in that class, many of them were definitely big contributors to the OB team, but many, most, were not.

Quayshawn Nealy - star contributor
Synjyn Days - star contributor especially late in the season
Shawn Green - star contributor (started every game in 2014)
Isaiah Johnson - star contributor
Deandre Smelter - star contributor

BJ Bostic - solid contributor
Charles Perkins - solid contributor
Tony Zenon - solid contributor
Deon Hill - solid contributor

Denzel McCoy - never played a down due to injury
Fred Holton - DNP in 2014
Lou Young - played 4 in 4 so was gone by 2014
Jeremiah Attaochu - played 4 in 4 so was gone by 2014
Justin Moore - replaced by Butker in 2014
Jake Skole - never played a down
Anthony Williams - kicked off the team before 2014
Ryan Ayers - never played a down
Morgan Bailey - DNP in 2014
Catlin Alford - DNP in 2014

kinda funny... when you look at the players signed in that class, many of them were definitely big contributors to the OB team, but many, most, were not.

Quayshawn Nealy - star contributor
Synjyn Days - star contributor especially late in the season
Shawn Green - star contributor (started every game in 2014)
Isaiah Johnson - star contributor
Deandre Smelter - star contributor

BJ Bostic - solid contributor
Charles Perkins - solid contributor
Tony Zenon - solid contributor
Deon Hill - solid contributor

Denzel McCoy - never played a down due to injury
Fred Holton - DNP in 2014
Lou Young - played 4 in 4 so was gone by 2014
Jeremiah Attaochu - played 4 in 4 so was gone by 2014
Justin Moore - replaced by Butker in 2014
Jake Skole - never played a down
Anthony Williams - kicked off the team before 2014
Ryan Ayers - never played a down
Morgan Bailey - DNP in 2014
Catlin Alford - DNP in 2014

Not sure you can even count Smelter in that because he was recruited and signed for baseball.

And Smelter and Zenon didn't even play in the Orange Bowl that year. Wouldn't have gotten there without them, though.

I actually have to give Bark some credit for taking the comment in good humor. He wrote a very nice article about Johnson coaching and referenced the quote in which he claims he laughed.

I actually have to give Bark some credit for taking the comment in good humor. He wrote a very nice article about Johnson coaching and referenced the quote in which he claims he laughed.

I think two people in that entire room even made a noise when CPJ said that, and it was more of an awkward "I can't believe he just said that holy öööö" half-chuckle.

My lesson from this is that a Top 25 class in 2010 led to a 2014 Orange Bowl. Time to hit the recruiting trail!

I used to love looking at recruiting numbers (and then I had kids), and years ago I looked at the correlation in recruiting rankings and records. There's a pretty decent correlation over time if you use a 4-year moving average. I don't think I actually have that information anymore, if I do I'll post.

I also did something where I looked at scoring offense and scoring defense, and the conclusion was that an "investment" in scoring defense would get you more wins that a similar investment in offense.

Back