Not gonna lose this Saturday

bigsting

Varsity Lurker
Say China 6 more times, see if it will reinstate the Pitt game. You’re a moron,
Since most of us went to Tech, why don't we rely on science as to where the virus started. The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 didn't start in Spain. There seems to be evidence China may not be the source as it was detected in other countries in early 2019

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
I think it would be cool to have an exhibition game against them but playing only scout team guys. I'm too young to remember the JV Thanksgiving day games but something similar to that.
We were short players for that game my junior year and I talked to them about walking on for that game and then we’d see from there. I was (still am) 6’4” about 235, def end, was running 6-7 miles routinely, fit. We didn’t lift so much back then. I was a good size for DE back then, now I’d be in the weight room working on an extra 30 lbs to have any chance.
Anyway, decided I had my hands full with ECE (EE then) plus working to pay my own way. Rarely think about that...pardon the brief reminiscing.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Since most of us went to Tech, why don't we rely on science as to where the virus started. The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 didn't start in Spain. There seems to be evidence China may not be the source as it was detected in other countries in early 2019
First post six years after account creation, and it's off-topic.

Killick

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
I'll bet all those teams that wanted an extra week or two to prepare for Paul Johnson's offense wish they had thought up the Covid prevent defense.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Totally different situations. And you know it (or should).

No serious person ever claimed that the Spanish flu spread from Spain. Intelligent people know it got that name because Spain was one of the few European counties that was not hip deep in WW1 at the time, so it's papers didn't censor themselves from reporting on it, like papers in France, England, Germany, the US (where it probably started) did, all of which also had outbreaks.

Meanwhile . . . "Truth Theory" is your source, huh? While a positive result could entail a true positive – that novel coronavirus was actually detected – it could also mean contamination of the test sample (which can happen in labs regularly handling positive specimens) or a false positive.

The Wuhan Chinese flu entered the US and Europe from China. The first deaths in the US occurred in a nursing home in Washington and came from a man who had just come there from Wuhan.

China banned all travel from Wuhan to other parts of China early on, even while it was getting the WHO to claim there was no person-to-person spread. China banned all travel from Wuhan to other parts of China even while they were allowing people in Wuhan to travel to the US, to Europe . . . anywhere but other parts of China like Beijing and Shanghai. I stand ready to be corrected on any or all of that. TIA!

The Champ

Dodd-Like
The decision wasn't solely ours anyway. Pitt made the call first because they are having Covid issues right now also. They also have paused all football activities. And even though it says "low number of cases," that doesn't mean that a whole position group couldn't still be out. We have, what 120 guys on the squad? Say we have 5 positives, that's a low number. Now say those 5 are our starting 5 offensive linemen. Or our whole RB room. Do you still want to play the game on Saturday in that case?
Yea, I’d still play without some OL, or top 4RB. We have backups, walkons, Freshman, that could play — probably aching to get on the field.
I certainly wouldn’t cancel a game because some extra guys being out might make us lose.

GTYJ

Varsity Lurker
Not that either of them is exactly in the bag either, but a chance to pick up a morale-boosting win against Duke and/or NC State before Pitt doesn't hurt IMO.
Yah, we have really owned Due for the last several years. When did we last beat them?

GTYJ

Varsity Lurker
Yea, I’d still play without some OL, or top 4RB. We have backups, walkons, Freshman, that could play — probably aching to get on the field.
I certainly wouldn’t cancel a game because some extra guys being out might make us lose.
Right, because our starters have performed so well this season. They destroyed Clemson, UCF, Syracuse, Boston College, Notre Dame, etc

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Utah v UCLA. RIP.
Yep. That's two games canceled now for Utah. I have a kid who attends there, and they had a good team last year. Nine players from last year's team are on NFL rosters, including seven starters, and another four (?) are on practice squads. Last year's entire secondary is now in the NFL, and they lost their three-year-starting All PAC-12 QB (Ravens practice squad) and RB (Bills roster). So this was always going to be a challenging year - maybe just as well they miss some games and try to pick back up in 2021.

By my count, 15 games canceled this weekend due to the Wuhan Chinese Flu.

Skydog

Eat a Peach
Yep. That's two games canceled now for Utah. I have a kid who attends there, and they had a good team last year. Nine players from last year's team are on NFL rosters, including seven starters, and another four (?) are on practice squads. Last year's entire secondary is now in the NFL, and they lost their three-year-starting All PAC-12 QB (Ravens practice squad) and RB (Bills roster). So this was always going to be a challenging year - maybe just as well they miss some games and try to pick back up in 2021.

By my count, 15 games canceled this weekend due to the Wuhan Chinese Flu.
they did manage to get two of the teams that had to cancel together for a game. think it's UCLA Cal. Sunday noon EST.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
We shouldn't let teams off the hook with a postponement if they have Covid issues. Forfeit or bring your second string. Collins and staff have been ultrazealous on Covid precautions, to the detriment of our on-the-field performance. The tradeoff should be that we have a personnel advantage when other teams have Covid. Otherwise we just gave ourselves a disadvantage in every game we actually play.