Now this is a good Bradley article... (Fan actions)

It is a good article, but of course it ignores the role of media in the coarsening of sportsmanship. The "silent majority" he speaks of does not make flashy news, so doesn't sell papers, so doesn't get written up, so can hypocritically be called "silent." In fact, there are plenty of vocal good sports, you hear from them all the time on boards like this one.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
It is a good article, but of course it ignores the role of media in the coarsening of sportsmanship. The "silent majority" he speaks of does not make flashy news, so doesn't sell papers, so doesn't get written up, so can hypocritically be called "silent." In fact, there are plenty of vocal good sports, you hear from them all the time on boards like this one.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Belly,
You took the words right out of my mouth. The Edwards situation is a perfect example. That idiot, Schlabach, takes the action of 1 fan (the phone caller) and paints an entire fan base with the same brush. Most of us (hell, 99.9% of us) don't like it when one of our fellow "fans" does something like that. But the newspapers don't care. They want to sell papers.

It is much ado about nothing. If you read sport history books about southern college football in the 20's and 30's, fights were expected occurrances. Men attended these games, not families, and they weren't today's typical feminized men. They enjoyed a good fight, and usually found what they were looking for. Liquor and even gun play had it's historical role as well.
BOO

also mentions "fans want instant gratification" .. and Coach Gailey touched on this too ..

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
It is much ado about nothing. If you read sport history books about southern college football in the 20's and 30's, fights were expected occurrances. Men attended these games, not families, and they weren't today's typical feminized men. They enjoyed a good fight, and usually found what they were looking for. Liquor and even gun play had it's historical role as well.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL, speak for yourself about "feminized men", Ghost. The article is not about fights at games, it's about öööötin your own nest. That's what the urge for instant gratification is all about; the Edwards boy, their all-time receiver (is that true?), drops a pass, and too many pups start trembling and howling like a dawg passing a peach pit. We saw way too much of it here, particularly about coaches, but we saw a whole heckuva lot of solid fan support too.

what does "feminized" men mean anyways?

talk about instant gratification ...

lose a couple of games and people start questioning whether the stadium expansion is appropriate .. whether fans here are FOC'ers and how their wives can't believe how anybody could be a FOC'er

I'm sure that this topic is heading off course.
tongue.gif

Intensity is a part of college football and is needed. But calling up a college kid for a dropped pass? That's insanity. I do not condole the act of making such calls at all but if you're calling anyone - Call Foster who's disturbing behavior (which I'm still trying to understand) knocked UGAg out of the Fiesta Bowl much earlier than when they were suppose to get upset for the first time on November 30th.

The media plays a huge role, yes. If not for the media we would have never gotten the "Not man enough." quote.

There are several more fans on this board that have seen as much football as I have over the years, and I am sure each of them will agree with my assessment.

Nothing has changed. There have always been the idiots like the guy that verbally attacked Edwards. He was not the first, nor will he be the last. The difference today is the game is much bigger, has more teams, has more fans, has more boards, and news is spread more and faster to more people.

I believe many of the coaches today have a thinner shell than the coaches of yore. There have always been the Monday Morning Quarterbacks and fans making remarks about coaches. It has always been part of the game and nothing has changed.

As someone has stated, the media uses every trick available to sell papers. The media uses all of these items to create interest in their papers.

frown.gif

Back