OBrien Gone..Great Opportunity To Do This Thing Right

Father WASP

Flats Noob
The chemistry on the staff and most noticeably the offense was not there last year. This is a positive development as O'Brien was subpar in his ability to develop players (QB situation) or get chemistry on our offense. Aside from State and UVa, we've blown almost all our big opportunities to win some winnable games if the offense could have performed - FSU, Wake, Clemson this year as examples. The further down the timeline we go in distance from Friedgen the worse BOB got. This is good for him, good for us.

Now Gailey gets to bring in his own guy. Unfortunately, he squandered his first year. This is not the time for someone to "grow into the job" or somene who "is ready for the next step". This situation demands an experienced hire - ala O'Leary hiring Friedgen or Amato hiring Chow, someone with experience and who can hit the ground running.

Braine should open up the pocketbook if necessary to land someone. This is not the job or situation to learn on the fly or be hoping the guy performs when we kickoff vs. Auburn. Please, Gailey and AA, lets do this thing right. Hiring the right guy here could turn some of us around who have been frustrated and questioning last season. Big opportunity to give this program a shot!

Most would be surprised how much Braine and King "opened up" the pocket book last year to keep and/or get BOB & JT!!!!

GT should be able to attract a very competent OC without having to pay more than the competitive going rate.

Agree, hope they can find a fairly veteran OC here. We need that with the QB position open. Hope they open up the wallet and search (with time) for the right man! We can't afford at this point in time to "groom" someone.

Good luck to BOB!

After a little bit of thought, I have changed my opinion on where the new and improved OC should come from.
Originally, I thought he would come from the pro level and then I remembered Chan's difficulty adjusting to the college game. Hopefully, Chan will acknowledge this and bring in a proven teacher/leader of young football players.

Would love to see a Tech guy!

Originally posted by luckyjacket:
After a little bit of thought, I have changed my opinion on where the new and improved OC should come from.
Originally, I thought he would come from the pro level and then I remembered Chan's difficulty adjusting to the college game. Hopefully, Chan will acknowledge this and bring in a proven teacher/leader of young football players.

Would love to see a Tech guy!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know we have all been around this bush a thousand times and are sick of it, BUT: how easily does ANY coach adjust to no QB performance and no running backs? I don't understand this insistence that what was "wrong" with GT last year was CG. And I REALLY don't understand why some people seem to think that his goal should be to make them feel better. That somehow or other, that's the real challenge he faces.

Anyway, Gailey hasn't been coaching soccer in North Korea the last 20 years, he knows who can do the job he wants done at OC.

(I'm not accusing you of anything, lucky; I just started my rant while replying to yr post)

IMO chemistry has been the huge missing ingredient since Fridge's departure (of course there was a skill dropoff too). I saw one of the best teams around get clobbered by LSU in the Peach Bowl. We were 28 point favorites in that game, and the turn around was like 40 points. What gives? The whole past season was lacking in chemistry among the coaching staff and among the team. Player meetings were tried to help the team chemistry. But is team chemistry even possible when it is absent among the coaching ranks?

I believe that we have a golden opportunity to put our team and staff together in a wonderful way. The coaching staff will be together, and the team will not be receiving mixed signals. Now if we get one of our QB's to rise to the occasion and throw and catch becomes part of our equation with the QB options available. Gang, look out. Here comes GT!

Originally posted by bellyseries:

"I know we have all been around this bush a thousand times and are sick of it, BUT: how easily does ANY coach adjust to no QB performance and no running backs? I don't understand this insistence that what was "wrong" with GT last year was CG. And I REALLY don't understand why some people seem to think that his goal should be to make them feel better. That somehow or other, that's the real challenge he faces.

Anyway, Gailey hasn't been coaching soccer in North Korea the last 20 years, he knows who can do the job he wants done at OC."

Super good statement worthy of repetition:

"I REALLY don't understand why some people seem to think that his goal should be to make them feel better. That somehow or other, that's the real challenge he faces."

Thank you belly, I only wish I had the smoothness of speech and ability to get to the root point as you do.

28 point favorites?? I think not.

You make a good point about chemistry among the coaches translating to the team though.

I swear to God.....if I hear one more Tech "fan" say Cg "squandered" his first year I am going to vomit on them, beat them with the chunks, then send them to the middle of the UGA campus in a "Buzz" suit! He did take us to a winning season......to a 6th straight bowl game......and out performed every expectation placed on him by the national media. Jesus Christ people, how the hell do you expect anybody to adjust and do well if their own supporters refuse to support them? Honestly, CG was not the reason why we lost so terribly to Georgia, or why we lost to Friggin Fresno State. The one criticism I do offer is that he played Suggs WAY to much! other than that, Hollings getting injured was a huge blow to the team, and all the other unfortunate injuries. I think we did pretty well again what I considered to be a Georgia team that honestly could have beathen ANY of the teams ranked above them comfortably. If CG listened to half of you bozos and your advice Tech would be going to hell in a handbasket faster than good 'ole Saddam!

The previous post is proof not to put too much into the internet - any 9 year old with his new Christmas computer just mail ordered to Hahira can sign up and post maquerading as anyone he wishes to be.

The opnly bozo I see in this thread is the one Father Wasp pointed out.

disciple, where in the world did this blathering of yours come from? Maybe the fact that you wrote it at 1:30 am has something to do with it.

You are the only person in this world, I am sure, that believes Tech's performance on Nov.30 was a good one. I don't care if we were playing the Buccaneers, we stunk it up. I would almost be curious to hear the positives you took from that game. No, I wouldn't.

If you were remarking on my opinion that I hope we stay in the college ranks to hire an O.C., you missed my simple point completely. It was not about bashing Chan, and reliving the disappointment of '02. If you are not disappointed by last year, read no further.

I am hanging onto the hope that Chan Gailey WILL be a success at Tech. In order to do so, IMO, he needs to build HIS coaching staff in a way that he has motivators,leaders, and teachers shaping the athletes that make up our roster.
Never have I played pro ball, but I am guessing that money does a heck of a job motivating at that level, as opposed to the college level.. get it?

I can't stand the dude, but look at what Chuckie Amato has done for NCSU. Chan's personality is about 180 degrees away from that, and thats ok as long as he has coaches that fill that role.

Thinking back on it, Fridge was the fireball that demanded perfection, not BOB.

AS Father Wasp indicated...now is the time to get it right...where ever the OC comes from.

By the way, thanks for the chunky vomit visual.

Originally posted by luckyjacket:
disciple, You are the only person in this world, I am sure, that believes Tech's performance on Nov.30 was a good one. I don't care if we were playing the Buccaneers, we stunk it up. I would almost be curious to hear the positives you took from that game. No, I wouldn't.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">lucky, I agree that we don't want to hear about any "positives" from the UGAg game. I, for one, don't want to hear ANYTHING AT ALL more about it until after the 2003 game.

Beyond that, though, I can sure tune in to what disciple is saying (maybe not the chunks).

Lucky, thank goodness for your statement

"Chan's personality is about 180 degrees away from that"

I am so thankful that we do not have anyone like the "Chest" at Tech. Color and flambouyancy(sp&gt;)
may get attention at any given moment, but personally, I don't think that in the longrun this is the answer to anyone's football program desires. Flash in the pan is my personal evaluation.......I may be totally in error; it is yet to be seen.
It is true, we are waiting to see what Chan's personality will produce in the long run. I personally think it will be a positve, however.
smile.gif

Boy, 71 I am in complete agrement. So tired of that "rejection" feeling. I am with you completely!!!!!!!! Seek the best, find the best, hire the best!!

This quote thing is beautiful! I feel like a rock star being taken out of context!! (Belly, not you.... this time.)

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Now Gailey gets to bring in his own guy. Unfortunately, he squandered his first year. This is not the time for someone to "grow into the job" or somene who "is ready for the next step".
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wasp,

You are definitely right about his first year being squandered; and you are probably right about not needing an OC growing into the job at the same time that the head coach is hopefully learning something about coaching in Divison 1.

With the strides that ACC teams like Maryland, NC State, Virginia, and even Wake are making....combined with our recruiting class ranked as low as 7th in the conference and 51st in the nation....the big difference in these teams recent improvement and whatever it is that is going on at TECH is these other ACC teams all hired excellent coaches.

Quite a contrast, and a definite point of concern...at least for some of us.

American Heritage Dictionary.....
squan·der v. –tr. squan·dered, squan·der·ing, squan·ders. 1. To spend wastefully or extravagantly; dissipate.

The truth is that you have grossly misinterpreted the word "squandered". It sounds cute, but is is an inacurate word (that should be used) for what you are (seemingly) trying to prove.

Please in the interest of the proper use of the English language : cease and desist.

beeware, You are not clever, funny, nor apparently smart nor intelligent to (probably 98% of) those reading this board. Most have tolerated you a large part of the time. I for one, believe now that this was to the detriment of Georgia Tech football. God only knows the damage you have done to the program with your immature words over the past months. If you are a true Tech fan this will cause tremendous introspection; if you are a pseudo fan, it will not really matter a great deal to you. Please, give it a rest. I think that you think you are a true fan, but I personally wish your venom would be directed to UGAG or to any other foe of Tech's.
Some people live for the thrill of being an arrogant, pompous, nose in the air irritanting presence. If that is you, then you will continue in your pattern of imbecility. If you are not of that ilk, then you will either change or cease to post.
You are discovered..You have been "found-out": we know you....oops, sorry, we do not know you because you will neither identify yourself nor even identify where you live or come from........typical of every bully(!) especially those who are frightened by exposing thier identity. Hide behind a pseudonymn and refuse to show yourself.
That is the way of all the bullies I have ever known.

Back