OC replacement

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Fair enough. But could someone explain why people seem so opposed to Whisenhunt? I do not think he would do it anyway, since he apparently did not want the head job a few years ago. But if he was willing, why not?
NFL guy who has mainly had success with Kurt Warner and Philip Rivers. I don't know that he would know what to do with a Jeff Sims, for example. Hasn't been a hot commodity since the Chargers let him go.

But yeah, it's a moot point. I think he is only coming back for an NFL job.

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
2 System Guys at CFB Outposts where the NCAA pays no attention to them that have gotten fat off of P5 Guys transferring to a lower level and then looking like world beaters, there's no telling what kind of transcripts the Guys they Recruit have to get accepted at a place the NCAA doesn't care about - they seem to be the CFB version of Cincinnati when Bob Huggins was the Head Coach for MBB.

#1 Can they Recruit the State of GA and go head to head vs all the Big P5 Programs that focus on GA HS Recruits?

Can they get a Team ready to play 8- 9 tough games per yr, rather than getting up for 3 Gms per yr at their current level?

Not sure lower level hot shots is the way to go this time.
They literally beat or lost in OT once to every top 25 team in the country they played last year. They would have gone undefeated if no losing to liberty by 3. I think that’s playing at a high level. Just because their first name isn’t Geoff doesn’t mean they’re bad coaches

GT18YJjr.

Dodd-Like
Please nobody with any connection to GT... Hiring guys who aren't doing great somewhere else because we have golden memories of them is a horrible idea.
So someone like the current head coach.

clapper

Dodd-Like
I don't dislike Patenaude (although he's probably not too happy with me after Saturday). He had damn good success at Coastal with both an All-American QB and another season where they went through 7 QBs. He should be skilled enough to mask the offenses deficiencies better than we've seen so far, but it just isn't happening. It seems like they are trying to install the offense they want to run in the future when they supposedly have the pieces in place, instead of finding a way to win now. That makes sense when you consider that he stepped into both the Temple and Coastal jobs with the players and a winning tradition in place. There was no reason to alter anything on those teams. Now he's just trying to jam a square peg in a round hole, instead playing away from weakness and installing the final offense as they improve.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
Hiring a pro guy seems like CCG redux. I'm having a hard time thinking of pro guys who went to college and were successful.

And if there's one thing that has proven successful with CCG, it's the change of attitude and tone he's embraced through social media, branding, clothing, etc. I don't think I've ever seen him in the same shirt twice, and it's always a different GT message. CPJ just wore whatever GT-logo polo was in the closet that day. So I'm all for someone with CCG's style and demeanor. Not sure you'd get that with many pro guys.
Saban & spurrier come to mind

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I don't dislike Patenaude (although he's probably not too happy with me after Saturday). He had damn good success at Coastal with both an All-American QB and another season where they went through 7 QBs. He should be skilled enough to mask the offenses deficiencies better than we've seen so far, but it just isn't happening. It seems like they are trying to install the offense they want to run in the future when they supposedly have the pieces in place, instead of finding a way to win now. That makes sense when you consider that he stepped into both the Temple and Coastal jobs with the players and a winning tradition in place. There was no reason to alter anything on those teams. Now he's just trying to jam a square peg in a round hole, instead playing away from weakness and installing the final offense as they improve.
Sometimes I think Pnope and Collins are purposefully sand bagging the offense to build 'the greatest transition in history' narrative that half the board is head over heels for. If we go through 3-4 years of dismal 3-9 seasons people will be ecstatic if we have a Chan Gailey-esque 7-5 season in year 6; he might even get a 7 year contract extension. I can even write his presser "When we got here the roster was awful, no skill position players and the OL was under 6 foot tall...couldn't even compete with the Citadel with the players who the previous administration recruited....now we look and play like a P5 team."

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Sometimes I think Pnope and Collins are purposefully sand bagging the offense to build 'the greatest transition in history' narrative that half the board is head over heels for. If we go through 3-4 years of dismal 3-9 seasons people will be ecstatic if we have a Chan Gailey-esque 7-5 season in year 6; he might even get a 7 year contract extension. I can even write his presser "When we got here the roster was awful, no skill position players and the OL was under 6 foot tall...couldn't even compete with the Citadel with the players who the previous administration recruited....now we look and play like a P5 team."
Against Pitt Sims had 359 yds passing and 60 yds rushing before subtracting Sack yardage.

Is PNode that bad if be found a way for our "embattled QB" to put up 420 yds of Total Off in a Game where the OLine had a horrible Day?

Doesn't seem like he's that bad of a playcaller if he could get more consistent Play from the OLine.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Against Pitt Sims had 359 yds passing and 60 yds rushing before subtracting Sack yardage.

Is PNode that bad if be found a way for our "embattled QB" to put up 420 yds of Total Off in a Game where the OLine had a horrible Day?

Doesn't seem like he's that bad of a playcaller if he could get more consistent Play from the OLine.
Was that the game were the QB threw as many INT's as TD's and the RB rushed for a total of -10 yards and we never came within 2 TD's after the first quarter and was held scoreless during garbage time the entire 4th quarter? There was some wonderful play calling on display that day I'll have to admit.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
It absolutely has something to do with an OC that keeps trying to run him between the guards and not use a 2 back set until very late in the game. Our OL sucks, on that we agree. At least with a 2 back set you give him someone to follow and hopefully find a hole.
Ridiculous. Many teams have the same issue we have but their coaches are smart enough to come up with a plan to work around their deficiencies. Patenaude actually did it many times and those plays worked. Swing passes and quick releases. But it’s almost like he is told that 1 of every 3 play calls has to be a handoff 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage behind a bad OLine. Remember the team that ran like 8 straight screens against because it was working a few years back? We should have thrown dumps to Gibbs and Smith for 80% of our plays. I’ll take a running Gibbs or Smith in space every play over a handoff behind our OLine. One day that play will work but not this year. I still can’t figure out why Choice hasn’t given Patenaude a code red yet.
Riddle me this Batman. Our OL seems to be a fairly experienced group (re: number of years of college ball). Why can't our guys move or shield their guys, so our RB corp can run for positive yardage? If the OL practices together every day to perfect the game plan scheme for the upcoming week, why are we not seeing results on game day? I'm beginning to wonder if our guys are softer than the opposition? It'd be nice to see a personal foul on an OLineman for unnecessary roughness or the like. Hell, if we are going to be penalized, then make it count.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Please nobody with any connection to GT... Hiring guys who aren't doing great somewhere else because we have golden memories of them is a horrible idea.
We hired Pepper after he was successful at UCLA. I wish we had given him a little more time and some support from the hill.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Riddle me this Batman. Our OL seems to be a fairly experienced group (re: number of years of college ball). Why can't our guys move or shield their guys, so our RB corp can run for positive yardage? If the OL practices together every day to perfect the game plan scheme for the upcoming week, why are we not seeing results on game day? I'm beginning to wonder if our guys are softer than the opposition? It'd be nice to see a personal foul on an OLineman for unnecessary roughness or the like. Hell, if we are going to be penalized, then make it count.
I don't think our OL is getting beat physically as much as they are getting beat technically. We may have a few instances of O-linemen getting bull rushed and shoved into the QB; but it seem more like guys coming free into the backfield untouched or only brushed. I've been on CBK's case for a while; but it is hard to believe he has gone from being one of the highly touted OL coaches in the nation to less than mediocre in 3 years. It almost seems deliberate. I guess I am of the mindset that a good OL coach could take a group of walk on players and have a mediocre OL in 3 years; they would lose some physical battles and it would be obvious they were getting physically beat; but not so much guys running free in the backfield like we are experiencing. When our OL seems less coordinated than NIU's in year 3 something seems fishy.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Was that the game were the QB threw as many INT's as TD's and the RB rushed for a total of -10 yards and we never came within 2 TD's after the first quarter and was held scoreless during garbage time the entire 4th quarter? There was some wonderful play calling on display that day I'll have to admit.
Most of those stats came during the first 3 qtrs when the Game was still undecided, he had 199 yds passing and 50 yds rushing at the half, so either you didn't watch the Gm or you are one of those selective memory Guys that posts with an Agenda in mind rather than being honest about GT FB.

I don't blame the QB for getting drilled when he's trying to complete a pass, at least 1 Int is on the OL, for crappy blocking, on the first Int the DL was basically untouched on a pass play and was almost in the QBs Lap.

Sounds very suspicious to blame the OC & QB for crappy OL play, but you agenda driven Guys know no bounds.