OC replacement

aeromech

Dodd-Like
And we haven't lost 2 in a row yet.

At this same point in the season in 2018 we had the same exact overall record, 2-3. Worse conference record, 0-2, and had just ended a 3 game losing steak with a win over mighty bowling Green
I am not expecting us to lose 2 in a row this week either, we should beat Duke.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Theoretically, yeah. But ultimately, somebody has to lose the game. Maybe the OC could have made better choices (but we did move the ball effectively through the air, mostly). Maybe we just got outschemed or outmanned.

I’m leery of any of us armchair coaches that are TOO certain that we know exactly what the problem and the solution were.

JRjr
Stop being so reasonable. This is a fan forum.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
After Sims game against UNC several posters, myself included, posted that every team we face from here on out is going to stack the box to stop the run. They are not going to let Sims beat them with his legs. If he beats them with his arm they can live with that.

Why? Because all the tape from last year shows that Sims has shown elite running ability, average accuracy and is turnover prone.

Well, 1 game in and everything went to script. Turnovers and run game totally didn’t exist. The Pitt plan worked to perfection. Every team will do the same. Duke shouldn’t be able to stop us as they aren’t that good on defense. But, every other team on our schedule has better DLines than we have OLine so Sims will have to be average in accuracy and we only win with a plus turnover margin.

On a side note, college football is all about passing. If you can’t pass the ball you aren’t going to win a lot. Whether you run the option or rpo or pro style. It’s all about passing.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
After Sims game against UNC several posters, myself included, posted that every team we face from here on out is going to stack the box to stop the run. They are not going to let Sims beat them with his legs. If he beats them with his arm they can live with that.

Why? Because all the tape from last year shows that Sims has shown elite running ability, average accuracy and is turnover prone.

Well, 1 game in and everything went to script. Turnovers and run game totally didn’t exist. The Pitt plan worked to perfection. Every team will do the same. Duke shouldn’t be able to stop us as they aren’t that good on defense. But, every other team on our schedule has better DLines than we have OLine so Sims will have to be average in accuracy and we only win with a plus turnover margin.

On a side note, college football is all about passing. If you can’t pass the ball you aren’t going to win a lot. Whether you run the option or rpo or pro style. It’s all about passing.
It is more about balance. If all you can do is run, or all you can do it is pass, it is hard to make it to the elite level and stay there. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 split; but has to be enough that the defense has to defend both.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
It is more about balance. If all you can do is run, or all you can do it is pass, it is hard to make it to the elite level and stay there. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 split; but has to be enough that the defense has to defend both.
True. And maybe more specifically, when they over commit to stop one facet you have to be able to make them pay dearly.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I would guess the perception of passing being more important is that for most schools it's easier to be good at rushing than passing. To pass well you have to find and develop a good QB and an offensive line that can pass protect well (a part of me wants to say there are more linemen who can run block well but I'm not sure that's true).

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
The new HC moved the goal posts, not us. The previous one expected whatever players he had on the field to execute AND his (offensive) system did work. That was proven at more places than here. His deficiencies were elsewhere.

The new HC says they have to have better, different players in order to execute their game plan at levels that don't even approach mediocre. The problem is that no one is asking them to be a Top 20 team now. All anyone expects is for them to be able to beat teams they should and remain competitive with teams at their level and somewhat better consistently.
….or at least show improvement (even minimally) each and every week despite the opponent, and not regress to a point where any dipstick with little knowledge about a specific facet of the game (ie: line play, route running, special teams play, secondary for examples) can see that obvious deficiencies. At the very least, i think people are getting tired of seeing the same bad things occurring and are questioning why? The obvious answer is personnel, but lack of execution should never be a consistent excuse for failures. If it is, then their are obviously problems higher on the food chain that need to be addressed.

Techfan02

Hope is pain
Todd Hailey. seriously think about this one I mean put a top offense on the feild with pittsburgh for a couple seasons.