Jermaine Hatch 6'2" 205 Senior (RS)
Rashaun Grant 5'11" 190 Freshman

FULLBACK

Gavin Bourgeois 6'2" 230 Junior (RS)
Jimmy Dixon 6'1" 220 Junior (RS)
Jonathan Jackson 6'2" 225 Junior (RS)
Brian Johnson 6'3" 250 Sophomore(RS)
Michael Matthews 6'4" 275 Freshman (RS)

No surprise here, the construction of the running game may be the biggest challenge for Tech this year. One bright point is Gailey's forte is supposed to be the ability of developing running backs. I assume he will watch this area closely.

P.J. looks good running the ball and can make some yardage, but appears to be a step away from being the big break-away back. It is possible he will be the number one running back.

Ajenavi seems to be a short yardage back. Here's hoping he takes it up a notch this year. Jermaine Hatch is a hopeful. It is still unclear if he has returned to his original efficiency. If he is 100% both physically and mentally, he could challenge for the top spot. Another hopeful.

Rashaun Grant comes highly advertised, but until you can prove you can do it at the next level, it becomes another hopeful. However, he could also emerge as the top runner.

Jimmy Dixon came to Tech highly rated as a runner. He is coming off an injury also. If he can still carry the load, I would not be using him as a blocking back. Personally, I would use him as a runner.

I have heard some say he has been held back because he runs straight up. I repeat, I would not care if he ran on his hands and carried the ball with his legs, if he can make a lot of yardage. If he proves he cannot hold onto the ball running upright, then he would have to sit or go back to blocking.

It appears Michael Matthews has the fullback slot sewed up if he is not needed elsewhere. It has been stated he can block, plow ahead for short yardage, and catch the ball out of the backfield.

That all sounds good, but he might make another good defensive end.

The remaining fullbacks were good, but not as spectacular as Matthews. I believe Jonathan Jackson was the leader prior to Matthews.

So, the offensive backfield position will bear a lot of watching during the Fall practice. I would not be surprised to see someone else tried out as a runner the same as Tony was.

Father Time

What an opportunity for someone to step into the role. I cant help but think that there are people chomping at the bit to get a try like Tony Hollings did.

Fwiw, Hollings was stuck as a back-up DB because he had gotten on GOL's öööö list;wonder what could have been if TH had been properly used w/ Hamilton or Godsey as QB? Anyone care to speculate?

drinking.gif

Back