Offensive Line - calling FridgeMover!

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
There is a post on the Hive's premium board about "what makes a good offensive lineman". Seeing as a former offensive lineman posts over here, I thought I may try and get some definitive answers as to what, in fact, makes an OL good. Questions:

1. What are some major technique issues that fans can look at to see how well an OL is performing?
2. How does "chemistry" really affect line performance?
3. What are some major "rules" of technique and playing the line (e.g. backside blocking on running plays)?
4. What are the major schools of thought on playing the line? For example, in basketball there is the motion offense, the princeton offense, etc. Does that translate to o-line? I know there is zone blocking and man blocking, right?
5. What are the characteristics of a guy that lead to success? We keep hearing about our "athletic" line, does that matter? Does size mean as much as we think? How about speed? Does it depend on what system you run?

Anything I'm missing?

I hear alot from fans about o-line play, and I'd like to have a personal idea about how well the line is playing.

TechPhi

1. Techniques vary with size of the line. Smash mouth with bigger kids and with a smaller quicker line you would have a lot of pulling, more zone blocking to create gaps for the backs, trap and misdirection blocking as well.

2.If the kids on the line don't get along or mesh well on the field i think it makes it more difficult. There is a huge TRUST factor with each other to make sure they protect each other in the field of battle. You don't have to have a love fest for each other but for three hours on game day you put everything aside and kick some arse.

3.Backside blocking depending on the play can make or break games. just because you are running sweep left the RT shouldn't take the play off. You never know what can happen. One thing i watch for is are linemen standing around if they are then take them out because that shows me it's not important to them just because they weren't running to their side.

4. I think i answered this one.

5. I think size IMO is over rated if the right system is implemented. Dallas won with size, Denver won with smaller quicker lineman. We were in between, we could play smash mouth or we could pull and trap so there are three examples.

I think the OL and DL has to have a nastiness about them but it has to be controlled, more so on offense. OL are smarter than the majority because of system run. Football isn't a game where you block the guy on you and thats it. You have to know where all 11 on Def. are for blitzing and run blocking. I personnaly don't see a problem with a young line. Yes they will take their lumps but as said in and earlier posts if they continue to work against our D they will be ready to go.

My game plan for Auburn will be quick hitting run plays, get TE involved immediately and for passing 2 to 3 step drops. It's going to be hot so I suggest putting in the no huddle offense and wear their arses out and then run PJ and Choice the second half.

Hope this helps.

Good stuff!!!!!! Thanks for the analytical post, John. We need more of this kind of posting.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

The only problem with the TE part is that thus far none of our TE's have stepped up in spring practice....Cooper, Matthews, or Riles. Assuming we cannot count on them we may be looking at some quick passes on slants....thoughts?

I wonder if we\'ll us a H-back at all...

Last year, when I saw Ace go in the game, there was often a pass to him (designed play, almost a screen, but not quite). I wonder if Gailey and Co. have thought about using Ace as a H-back (or even a Wing back) to hit the seams for pass-routes if our TE's cant' do it (but maybe our recruit, Colin Peek can help out). Seems he has the hands.

Just a thought.

Back