Official CFP Championship Thread

gambler

Went all in with 80k
Yeah, and they redshirted him.

Three not close college football playoffs games, and a rerererereretread championship game. I went years with season tickets when I lived 500 miles away, yet I watched none of the playoffs. My interest in college football gets lower by the second and I don't think I am alone.
You should only be able to go to school in the state you graduated highschool from. That way if you want to spend your senior year at school in Alabama more power to you. ....sorry rhode island players

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
All I know is there was a play in the second half where Bama's DT, Barmore, got caught up in the wash at the snap, bench pressed either the C or RG, and then chased down the OSU running back who was likely running some sort of stretch zone on a critical 3rd or 4th down play. It was one of those plays where everything was set up to convert or spring for a big play - except Barmore was a manimal on that play.

My only thought after witnessing such an impressive athletic freak of nature make an outstanding play was that regardless of the coach the chances of me ever seeing a player make that sort of play with a GT on the side of his helmet is near zilch. There are probably - what - 3 or 4 guys a year at DT that could make that sort of play. 2 of them go to Bama, 1 of the them to Clemson, and the other (if he exists at all) ends up for the rest of us to fight over.

The crater between the haves and have nots is crazy these days.

That was such an impressive play. Wow. This is nuts.

I understand your points and I agree...

But, that was a missed assignment of epic proportions by the right guard. You can clearly see it's a double team up to the LB, except numbnuts decided he'd leave his already out-leveraged center in order to get a backside LB not involved in the play and most likely not his assignment to begin with.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Would love to see the Bama ‘09 defense against the Bama ‘20 offense. I thought the LSU offense last year was the best I had ever seen - absolutely unstoppable. It took one year for an offense to be just as good, maybe better.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
You should only be able to go to school in the state you graduated highschool from. That way if you want to spend your senior year at school in Alabama more power to you. ....sorry rhode island players
Yeah no offense but this suggestion doesn’t hold water for several reasons. Mainly that even traditionally no college has ever rejected a player or student here legally based on their origin since like the 60s. Adam Gotsis got a shot here, played well for us then went to the nfl. Was he supposed to play college ball in Australia?

gambler

Went all in with 80k
Yeah no offense but this suggestion doesn’t hold water for several reasons. Mainly that even traditionally no college has ever rejected a player or student here legally based on their origin since like the 60s. Adam Gotsis got a shot here, played well for us then went to the nfl. Was he supposed to play college ball in Australia?
/Facetious

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just thinking back, I can only think of a handful of teams that could have given this Bama team a game. Maybe the 2001 Miami team, last year's LSU team, and Clemson's undefeated team a few years ago. Other than that, there's no one that could have stopped Bama last night.
Research Tom Osborne’s 1996 Nebraska Cornhuskers.
They had they closest thing to an NFL OL and run game of all time.
They would have moved Bama’s defense 2-3 yards off the LOS every single play, even if Saban had 13 players on the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: eg1

Techbert

Dodd-Like
My vote for greatest is still the 2001 Miami team, but the game I would most enjoy would be seeing 2011 Bama team play this year's team.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Research Tom Osborne’s 1996 Nebraska Cornhuskers.
They had they closest thing to an NFL OL and run game of all time.
They would have moved Bama’s defense 2-3 yards off the LOS every single play, even if Saban had 13 players on the field.
Those Cornhuskers had a starting o-line with weights between 275 and 300. I really don't think they would be able to match up against today's D-lines with that lack of size.

For reference, Georgia Tech's o-line doesn't have a single player under 307 even counting backups, and we complain about getting pushed around by mediocre teams. Alabama's starting o-line weighs between 315 and 360.

It's just a different game now with regards to size.

RamblinWreck09

Greatly appreciated amongst mid 30s Turkish males

Summary-
-Lowest rated CFB title game since 2004
-Title game had a lower rating than the semis

More context, Bama vs OSU had 18.7M viewers across all networks, compared to-
-32M for Bears vs Saints
-26M for Browns vs ööööty team from Pitt
-21M for Buccs vs the team formerly knowns as the Redskins
-24M for Rams vs Seahawks
-25M for Ravens vs Titans

andrew

Summary-

-32M for Bears vs Saints
Not a fair comparison, if the CFP had a Nickelodeon broadcast I'm sure they would've pulled 30M+ too.

gtrower

Dodd-Like

Summary-

-32M for Bears vs Saints
That meshes with my feeling. I love CFB and am meh about the NFL. But my interest in the semis was marginal and basically non-existent for the title game. Which is weird because if Bama had played OSU week 4 I would have been kind of pumped to watch it.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like

Summary-

-32M for Bears vs Saints
I wonder how they measure viewership when there are like a dozen different broadcasts and official online streams of the game. It’s not like everybody just turned on ESPN to watch it.

Now that I think of it, weren’t most or all of the NFL games on free TV, versus the college game on ESPN?

The fact that Alabama was a pretty heavy favorite, and that the game was on a Monday night, probably didn’t help ratings relative to the NFL or semifinal games.

JRjr

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
I wonder how they measure viewership when there are like a dozen different broadcasts and official online streams of the game. It’s not like everybody just turned on ESPN to watch it.

Now that I think of it, weren’t most or all of the NFL games on free TV, versus the college game on ESPN?
relative to the NFL or semifinal games.
JRjr
Six NFL playoff games on the weekend saturated the audience. And I think a lot of potential viewers did not like the shenanigans that the Big Ten orchestrated to get Ohio State into the mix.

andrew

Six NFL playoff games on the weekend saturated the audience. And I think a lot of potential viewers did not like the shenanigans that the Big Ten orchestrated to get Ohio State into the mix.
Only tangentially related but I've decided I definitely do not like having the third wildcard. It's just too much football over the course of two days.

NFL playoffs were perfect as they were before.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
The NFL gives you different teams in the playoffs nearly every year actual quality playing across the board. And with the tremendous parity in the NFL, truly any team can win on any given day.

College football, on the other hand, gives you the same 4-6 teams playing each other every year, with the quality far lower than anything in the NFL,

Is it really a surprise that the NFL isfar more watched?
Frankly, college football is just dull. It can be fun when watching with a bunch of drunk fans in a bar. It can also be fun when you have 50+ games in a day so you just watch the 2-3 most interesting games at a given time. But when all you have is a limited number of games, it’s rarely fun because any one game is far more likely to be a one sided blowout than anything else.

gambler

Went all in with 80k
The NFL gives you different teams in the playoffs nearly every year actual quality playing across the board. And with the tremendous parity in the NFL, truly any team can win on any given day.

College football, on the other hand, gives you the same 4-6 teams playing each other every year, with the quality far lower than anything in the NFL,

Is it really a surprise that the NFL isfar more watched?
Frankly, college football is just dull. It can be fun when watching with a bunch of drunk fans in a bar. It can also be fun when you have 50+ games in a day so you just watch the 2-3 most interesting games at a given time. But when all you have is a limited number of games, it’s rarely fun because any one game is far more likely to be a one sided blowout than anything else.
This is why I don't watch for the championship. I watch my team to see what Tech can do and that's all. If we go to the NCG then I'll be watching all the way. Otherwise I watch 10-11 games a year, maybe throw in a heralded gameday matchup and that's it. Screw the ncaa and ESPN money machine. I would still watch GT if we were in the sunbelt with a 3-7 record every season.

The rest of the world is all about the greed of $ anymore. The good days are long gone.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb

Summary-

-32M for Bears vs Saints
My interest has waned and it seems like I'm not alone. They are slowly strangling interest in the sport. Their BCS viewer base is asympotically approaching their BCS participant base - fans of only five or six schools. I wonder if these geniuses even realize that there is a whole lotta country out there west of the Mississippi.

Someday someone will figure out that Bama, LSU, Clemson, UGA and O$U grabbing almost every top recuit in the country every single year is killing fan interest, which is the goose that lays the golden eggs. One idea is to lower new scholarships to something like ten each year per school in FBS - they reduced them once sometime around 1970 because of this same problem back then. I'm sure there are other solutions to produce greater parity and greater regional diversity - which are desperately needed. Hey, if they're hellbent on turning college football into a professional sport, then they should do what every other professional sport does: institute a draft.