Official Spring Game Thread

Loved every minute of it. Collins made sure it was a game/practice and an experience for the fans. We have much work to do on the lines and in the middle defensively. Guys are having fun, playing fast and working hard. Cannot ask much more. Team looks good for our transition.

This is exactly what we want to see.

Participation report was not super deep. I think we can now sort out who is ATL, and speculate on who may be leaving us soon.

I only count 49 unique participants in the stat sheet. Several players were listed as participating on both teams, which was not noticed by me while watching the game.

Didn’t like the touch football aspect. Also what’s up with no special teams? They don’t need practice?

Didn’t like the touch football aspect. Also what’s up with no special teams? They don’t need practice?

Yea, totes. Really wish the defense was allowed to annihilate the QBs!!!! Would have been awesome to see our QBs all go out with serious injury1111

My thoughts:
1. The RBs looked surprisingly good.
2. We looked faster than the past few years.
3. Our OL isn't there yet
4. Our front 7 on defense is about like it has been...
5. Our DBs still get caught not turning around to make a play on the ball when they're in good position
6. Our team is small. Real small. It's almost like we've got 13 RBs on the roster.
7. Our WRs made some catches, need to improve route running.
8. Lots of different route combos, lots of reps. Good. QBs seemed to have trouble reading some of the combos, they'll get it by fall.
9. We aren't going to hold many teams under 21 pts.

My thoughts:
1. The RBs looked surprisingly good.
2. We looked faster than the past few years.
3. Our OL isn't there yet
4. Our front 7 on defense is about like it has been...
5. Our DBs still get caught not turning around to make a play on the ball when they're in good position
6. Our team is small. Real small. It's almost like we've got 13 RBs on the roster.
7. Our WRs made some catches, need to improve route running.
8. Lots of different route combos, lots of reps. Good. QBs seemed to have trouble reading some of the combos, they'll get it by fall.
9. We aren't going to hold many teams under 21 pts.

I agree with all these points. But as far as the defense.. they were limited last night to 5 play selections and no exotic blitz pressures or anything CGC is known to throw in. Plus multiple times they blew up the o line and got sacks. Yondjouen will be/is a beast

I liked seeing man to man bump pressure by the CBs for the most part. We’re really gonna rely on Curry for LB support this season.

Who knows, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge yet them too quick.

1. QBs need some work. Johnson looks like the more polished QB. The PWO backing him up was a suprise. Graham looks talented but not sure he is ready. Graham looks perfect for CPJ offense, lol.

2. WRs looked good. Some really good catches made. I like Sanders.

3. Not so sure about the D and #1 laying on the field for a long time was a little scary.

In the presser, Collins talked about he wanted to entertain the fans and that fans like offense. Said it was a tough pill to swallow to limit the D but it had to be done.

Not worried about our D.

And I know they were free to the students, but I want one of the ATL shirts.

The stuff for sale outside the stadium sucked. I showed up expecting some good Adidas tees to be available

Made the drive up from Albany. Got home at 2am. You gotta remember this game was just an infomercial for 15-18 year old kids. Collins is smart and knows he’ll be judged on year 3 and beyond so his entire focus is on recruiting and rebranding. Making the defense limited and flinging the ball all over the field was all about marketing. Get the kids excited for a high octane offense and be able to sell to defensive players that we need help now so come and get your playing time. I was laughing when I’d see Collins signal a change of possession as he wanted all offense all the time on both sides of the scoreboard. It’s hard for me to actually take anything meaningful from this game. We have a bunch of athletes as does every team in the country. It’s going to be fun watching the process unfold over the next few years. My expectations are very tempered however for 2019. Our best defensive player recently passed away and our depth wasn’t good prior to that. I hope our fans understand it’s gonna take several recruiting classes for Collins to get the depth it’s gonna take.

Made the drive up from Albany. Got home at 2am. You gotta remember this game was just an infomercial for 15-18 year old kids. Collins is smart and knows he’ll be judged on year 3 and beyond so his entire focus is on recruiting and rebranding. Making the defense limited and flinging the ball all over the field was all about marketing. Get the kids excited for a high octane offense and be able to sell to defensive players that we need help now so come and get your playing time. I was laughing when I’d see Collins signal a change of possession as he wanted all offense all the time on both sides of the scoreboard. It’s hard for me to actually take anything meaningful from this game. We have a bunch of athletes as does every team in the country. It’s going to be fun watching the process unfold over the next few years. My expectations are very tempered however for 2019. Our best defensive player recently passed away and our depth wasn’t good prior to that. I hope our fans understand it’s gonna take several recruiting classes for Collins to get the depth it’s gonna take.
Yea, everything was done to keep the game moving and exciting. No procedure calls, no holding, no penalties to slow things down. Only the obvious interference and the late hit out of bounds.

In the presser, Collins talked about he wanted to entertain the fans and that fans like offense. Said it was a tough pill to swallow to limit the D but it had to be done.

Not worried about our D.
If you watch the broadcast, there is a portion where they're on the field with CGC in the 3rd quarter. He's explaining what's going on and he knows the offensive and defensive play calls. I'm sure he somewhat scripted what plays were to be run against what defensive looks also for a couple reasons - to see how defense will react in certain play calls and to give the offense a slight edge for excitement in the game. I wouldn't read much at all into how our defense played overall, just focus on individual effort of players.

Back