OK Ahso,

oldfoggy

Dodd-Like
I'm back from my little trip to the Carib, so either by email or by a response here bring me up to date I know we won 7-3 over BOB the portley one (& BOB) but nothing else so give me the run down and I'll see you when we give UNC thier due.

OLDFOGGY PS Howdy Mustard, and all the Tech faithful

The short version is that the ghost of Bobby Dodd haunted the whole game with defense and kicking dominating.Our Defense won out with 2 ints,2 fumbles and one knockout of their 1st QB with Reggie doing just enuff to win.
AND-Fatboy goes back to turtletown shaking his head.

OldFoggy, sorry friend, you go away and miss the one game of the season that would have sent you back to the olden days of defensive football.

It was a typical old time football game with a lot of hitting and ball control, when needed, by Tech. Tech controlled the ball for eleven minutes of the fourth quarter with a 7-3 lead.

Dawan Landry put two players, the starting quarterback and the number one wide receiver out of the game with legal, hard hitting, vicious tackles on both of them. The quarterback never reintered the game, although the wide receiver came back later.

I am sure the wide receiver was a little more aware of Landry in the vicinity the rest of the game.

On one play Daryl Smith was at his middle linebacking post and saw the QB dump the ball to the back on the left side of the field. Smith made the move from his linebacking position to the back and hit him just as he received the ball. It was another vicious hit. I still don't know how he got there that quick. It was another great defensive play.

The offense did not look great, but did control the ball and made some long drives, one for about eight minutes.

Our only touchdown came from about the five. Reggie dropped back to pass and the rush from the Maryland defense was very strong. The defense was right in Reggie's face and were about to crush him.

Reggie caught a very brief glimpse of the receiver in the end zone, and threw the ball in his direction. Reggie was immediately pummelled and never saw the ball headed to the receiver. It was on target for the only TD of the game.

Once Reggie made a toss sweep to PJ around the right side of the line. Reggie led the blocking and took out two defenders with one vicious block. He hit the first defender in the chest and drove him back into the second defender and both of the defenders hit the ground.

Reggie made another superb move on another play. I can't remember whether it was a pass play that broke down or a keeper, but he headed up the middle to attempt to keep the drive alive and get a first down. He literally drug the tacklers three or four yards until he reached the first down marker. He looked more like Burns than a quarterback on that play.

By the way, I know we held Auburn in check and also FSU for three quarters, but the defense against this Friegden offense was a thing of beauty. Can you imgagine, Friegden not scoring a TD against us?

Unbelieveable!

Some of the other posters can add to this, but that was a few of the highlights.

Father Time

oldfoggy ... if you lend your ears to MsTA .. she will let you know how disappointed she was with the win.

reggie ball was not even a true freshman when he started (she actually believes this). he's being held back .. blah blah blah.

the team took a step backward by not scoring more than a touchdown .. blah blah blah.

Chan Gailey is an arse .. blah blah blah blah.

god bless her.

oldfoggy,
My email is ronicard@bellsouth.net. If you'll email me your real life name and address, I'll burn you a copy of the game onto a video tape and send it to you. I have to confess though...I Tivo'ed the game and set it up to tape for the specified period time of the game, so it missed the final 7 game minutes of the game. You will miss some good, clean, but vicious hits on their QB and a time-sustaining drive of ours, but you'll see the rest of the game and the scoring.

Great I appreciate your takeing care of an old Tech man. I will go to the personals and send you all you need thanks MUCHO!

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Great I appreciate your takeing care of an old Tech man. I will go to the personals and send you all you need thanks MUCHO!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i hope you get to watch the entire replay. you will find that we won the game in the 4th quarter. that is exactly when smash mouth football is played by the team which can play it.

Ga Tech played smashmouth football in the 4th quarter and Maryland was not able to keep up. we recovered a fumble near the end of the 3rd quarter and returned it to UMd's red zone at their 18 yard line.

Reggie Ball, PJ Daniels, JP Foschi and the OL then took over at the 18 yard line. PJ had a huge run to pick a first down, it looked just like how i drive through the downtown connector!

then reggie had a quarterback draw behind JP Foschi's blocking. finally Reggie just before the defense almost took his head off threw a fluttering knuckleball to a wide open JSmith for our only score of the game.

UMd still had 14+ minutes to come back. 14+ minutes and how many posessions did UMd get?

guess it would be 6+ right? i mean our offense is horrible and just unimaginative and blah blah blah. so we were going 3 n out on O right?

our defense is winning the games for us so UMd was also not able to get the ball to move right?

so UMd must have gotten i'd say 6+ posessions in the last quarter right?

wrong .. UMd had only 3 posessions. why? because Tech was playing smashmouth football, not only on defense but also on offense.

in the 4th quarter .. we posessed the football 11+ minutes! if that is not smashmouth football, nothing is.

and posessing the football for 11+ minutes in the 4th quarter has nothing to do with the fact that MD was down to its 3rd string QB except for the fact that our D did not let MD posess the ball, which they weren't able to do with their first stringer anyways.

Darn, YLO, Thats what I get for going out of the country on what sounds like one of the best games Tech has played in years. I had the feeling while in Jamaica we could win the game and pay back the fat man for the last few years (while the game was being played I was on my way to the American canal in Panama). Even though we only scored 7 points holding the ball for 11 minutes no opposition team will win so I guess CCG did call a heck of a game at least in the 4th Qtr. But I'll have my chance to see at least most of the game I sure appreciate you guys for bring me up to date and also sending me a tape of what we have.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
MsTA will come around, she really is a nice lady.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">According to her own words and don't make me pull out the quote again .. she says that she never thought that Gailey is a good coach, still doesn't and never will.

So she is never going to come around as per her own words.

She may be a really nice lady but if she claims that the 7-3 score had nothing to do with smash mouth football, she doesn't understand football.

that game was smashmouth football and Tech was the one that was smashing the terps' mouths.

Next time you tailgate with her .. tell her that she is a really nice lady and she's a good cook and whatever else but definitely tell her that she doesn't understand football. Don't let her brainwash you again.

OldFoggy, go the ramblinwreck.com and click on football on the left side of the page. Go to the right side of the next page and click on schedule.

When the schedule comes up, scan down to the Maryland game. In the last column on the right, you will find all the links to the information for the Maryland game.

Father Time

Thanks Ahso I knew that but after 16 hours of driving yesterday to get home (3am arrival in H'ville)my brain is not functioning so well thanks for reminding me.

oldfoggy..I've got the complete game. If you don't get the complete game , contact me and I'll get you a copy.

OldFoggy, I have never met or even seen MsTA as far as I am aware, but I have two friends who have. The only part of the discription, "nice lady", that fits is she is female. They say she is anything but nice. I know from her rantings, that she does not have a clue abouy football. How can anyone call Chan "a medeocre coach"?

From Ahso's description it sounds like one heck of a game wish I could have seen it but in Jamaic on my way to Panama you don't get much of GT. MsTA will come around, she really is a nice lady. Yes a 7-3 does remind me of BD and 3 yards and a cloud of dust if anyone has a video either tape or DVD I'd like to see the game. I of course will return it intack.

I have tailgated with MsTA many time and find her to be nice, she is passionate about Tech, true she may not know much about X's and O's but that does not take away her passion for Tech, she does know some about the O and the D. She is a BC grad and is pleased to see BC now in the conf. Several folks stop by to see and talk to her like Ahso, Gen Wood etc. She just does not like CCG and his assistants. I think even if we were to win 12 and also the MNC she still would not like CCG. You nor I will ever change her, BW and maybe a few others.

I have tailgated with MsTA many time and find her to be nice, she is passionate about Tech, true she may not know much about X's and O's but that does not take away her passion for Tech, she does know some about the O and the D. She is a BC grad and is pleased to see BC now in the conf. Several folks stop by to see and talk to her like Ahso, Gen Wood etc. She just does not like CCG and his assistants. I think even if we were to win 12 and also the MNC she still would not like CCG. You nor I will ever change her, BW and maybe a few others.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Passion combined with ignorance is a dangerous combination.

1) "she may not know much about X's and O's" Have truer words ever been posted on StingTalk? A person who cannot appreciate the unbeelievable D we have been playing combined with crushing 4th quarter possession drives does not have a clue IMHO.

2) Why? for Dodd's sake WHY? does she have to rant and rave in public forums BASHING our HC...which in turn is a bashing of our football program? What possible positive effect can her lunatic fringe rants & raves have on our program?

3) I will personally buy her BC season tix if she will stop "supporting" the Jackets....CCG is going to bee at the flats for a long time....get used to it.

can you imagine tailgating with MsTA? how that would be like?

i'd find a visit to the dentist more pleasant than tailgating with someone like MsTA or beebad.

i'm sooooo glad that the folk i tailgate with are supercool. here's to that bunch of jackets!

YLO, she saved my lfe one day! I brought a guy to the game who I did not know was a drunk and he drank 22 of my 24 beers. She offered me a cool one (don't remember what) and found her to be pleasant. She is an O'Liar fan, we argued about the merits of O'Liar but she did not get angry and stated we could have different opinions and still be Tech fans which I agreed with. So she, Beebad and I have tailgated many time and like I said many people stop by to talk and argue with her. I'm still 110% Tech and nothing will ever change that. I still wonder about the 39-3 Clem game but it may have been a fluke I don't know but we will need to get that straight or we may have others like that.

Back