OL ....(Football fundamentals question)

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
Saw this below...

The Y ran 3-3-5 scheme last night.

I believe we had the std. 6 man front.
That should have given us several 2 on 1 against their d-line. Shouldn't they have been able to slip a LB in on a delayed blitz/pressure because our guys were choosing to double team their initial rush?

I can't remember if they blitzed the LB's in the 2nd half.

So where was the negation of OL surge?
Any answers out there

Excellent question. In the 3-3-5 you usually walk an OLB up making it essentially a 4 man front but no matter, I get your point.

The issue on the fold or combo blocks to LB is can you get to them, and point #2 can you sustain your block. I haven't reran the tape but my first impression is that at times we weren't getting there (to the LB) or they were quicker than us.

When you run a slow, predicated offense - and we ran the toss sweep alot. You are throwing misdirection and complication out the window. Your basically saying we don't care if you know we are coming, we believe we can whip you.

If you want to see this philosophy in action, watch Auburn this week.

The strength of this offense is that if you can do it, you pound the defense down, mentally and physically, you run the clock, and you minimize risk.

You had best have a great blocking FB and TE, a line that can pull or fold on the LB's. and a tailback that is a horse - able to get in the seam, start running "downhill" quickly and break it off seams.

I am of the opinion we lack a great tailback - someone who can not only run physically but break the long one, a great fullback (like Wilder), nor mobile guards - although Huneycutt is probably going to be one of the best power guards in the ACC. I know Gailey feels comfortable with this offense, but it sort of reminds me of Rip Scherer calling for Curry. We would have some pretty good plays occaisionally but not enough to base a core offense for an entire season.

Just an opinion from an ex-coach.

Back