Old post revisited

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
BDG,

Thanks for the complement on the NASCAR posting. But I think this was one of my better news wire pieces. Had some of our younger members in a panic, like the old Orson Wells radio broadcast about the Mars invasion...

Remember? Sheriff Beestorm added "Spoof" to the title and moved it to "other".

originally posted on 2/9/03

AP/wire
1/9/2005
Atlanta
Chan Gailey surprised loyal followers today by rejecting a five-year contract extension. Gailey, following a successful 5-7 season with back-to-back wins over Mount St. Mary’s, in the now defunct Flint River Valley Bowl, has announced his plans to leave the coaching profession. According to Chan, the generous compensation package he had received since he was hired by Tech had been sufficient to build a sizable nest egg for a long and richly deserved retirement. “I won’t have to work another day in my life”, said Gailey.

He denied rumors of a pending return to the NFL or another college coaching position. Frankly, said Gailey, “it’s been quite awhile since anyone called.”

Dismayed over the loss of their head coach, friends of Chan, were organizing a special fund drive for Gailey. Club president, ylojk8, said “It’s the least we can do for the loyalty Chan has shown Tech”. According to jlojk8, the club hoped to purchase a retirement home in Georgia Tech’s new golf community near Canton. This way, said ylojk8, “He can always be with us”.

With no identified replacements already on staff, the search committee vowed to find a replacement prior to the start of spring practice. It should be noted, however, there is some dissension on the search committee. Beeware, insists George O’Leary is the only qualified candidate available and refuses to consider other recommendations. Also, bellyseries, is adamant in his position that Tech can do just fine without a head coach. Said bellyseries, “A head coach never made a tackle or threw a block.”

Thanks to Ahsoisee for the inspiration

Back