One last statement concerning the coaching.....

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Then I am taking a wait and see attitude about these quarterback decisions. First off: Let me ask you fans two questions. Do you see any similarities between Damarius Bilbo and Quincy Carter? More to the point I am talking about the failed promise of two outstanding quarterback talents. Size, strength, speed, etc. Now does anyone on this board doubt that if Carter had came to Tech instead of joining the Dawgs he would have, could have became the quarterback he was expected to be? What with the Fridge coaching/teaching him? Hell, there is a terrific chance we would never have heard of Joe Hamilton execpt at wide receiver if this had happen. Now look at the failed promise of Bilbo as quarterback. I maybe the only one here but I darn sure believe that if Bilbo had excellent coaching we would be seeing the results on the field. It is easy for everyone here to hoot and howl about Quincy Carter's stupid decision to join the Bulldogs. We know that with the Fridge coaching him he would have been a much better player. But it is so difficult to turn around and admit that our quarterback coaches have failed to develop Damarius Bilbo into the player he should have been. Instead all I hear is read and reaction to defenses is not good. Or he can't see the field. If it is that obvious at practice from the start that Reggie Ball was ahead of Damarius Bilbo as it has been stated, then why is the finger pointed only at Damarius and not his coaching to some degree. Past and present coaching. The only thing most of you are concerned about now is that Bilbo stays at Tech and helps the team in a different position. I am the only one but I do believe that if Cutcliffe at Qle Miss offered Bilbo a chance to join the Rebels for the next three years he should seriously think about it. Ole Miss has a proven quarterback coach in David Cutcliffe himself. At least you can't argue he did anything to screw up the Manning boys plus he managed to get a National Championship year out of Tee Martin for goodness sake. Bilbo would have to weigh his quarterback chances against a Georgia Tech degree but he would have to gamble somewhere would'nt he. All that spoken and off my chest I hope this works out for the best for all concern. I hope Damarius Bilbo does what is best for him as he sees it. Also, I dearly hope Reggie Ball can quarterback us to a successful year, Georgia Tech has a very nice bowl game after beating the Dawgs, which would remove the heat from Chan Gailey and the other coaches. Because if this is not what happens there will be hell in the handbasket to pay.

Umm - just a question - is there even a remote possibility that Ball just won the job based on his talent? Any chance that he has even more talent at QB? That he might get a little credit too?

And if Ball did just beat out DBO (work with me here for a second) then would it not be in DBO's best interest to get on the field? THat seems like what a coach ought to do to me.

However, if DBO were to choose to go to Miss or elsewhere he would go with my best wishes. I would understand but hope he chooses to stay. He has been very classy about how he handled himself.

IMO, Quincy turned out to be a head case. That was/is his problem, not coaching.

I know we have lots of Friedgen worshipers here, but there is NO teacher who can teach a kid who won't learn.

Stateline, I echo the sentiments in the last 2 or 3 lines. However, the conjecture about how Quincy Carter might have flourished under the tutellage of the Fridge is just that...conjecture. And personally, I have to disagree with you. To me, Quincy Carter was the epitome of one of those kids who looks incredible in practice and in the occasional game, but when the pressure is really on, he folds...ala A.J. Suggs, Jeff George, and truth be told, Peyton Manning. Even though I really like Peyton Manning, the absolute truth of it is that he never once beat Florida in any of the 4 years he was there...it wasn't till he left and Tee Martin was there that they won. The reason I bring up Peyton is because, even though he is revered at UT and they even named a street after him, Mr. Cutcliffe was unable to win even the Southeastern Conference (let alone the National Championship) with Mr. All-world Peyton as his QB.

Yes, I think Ralph Friedgen is quite probably the single greatest offensive mind in college football right now. Yes, I would have enjoyed watching the competition between Lil Joe and Quincy. But, here's the facts: Lil Joe had just enjoyed a pretty doggone good freshman year at Tech. Quincy realized that he couldn't hit the curve ball and decided to come back to college. He had previously committed to Tech to play football and thus, had to fight the coaches at Tech and plead his case to the NCAA to get released from his signed committment without having to forfeit a year of playing. He was released and made a statement to the press after he picked UGAG saying "they have an established quarterback there and I don't want to sit behind him for 3 years".

Sounds like he knew he couldn't beat out Lil Joe. But what does all of this have to do with DBo? The same kind of situation is in play here. If he transfers, he has to sit out this year. That means that he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. At Ole Miss, he would at least have the opportunity to compete for the starting job after Peyton's little brother leaves at the end of this year. But, as has been posted, they have 4 other quarterbacks on scholarship there...3 of whom have more experience in Cutcliffe's offense than Bilbo has. And the knock on Bilbo is his inability to make the proper reads, continue through his progressions (leading to making the correct decisions), and learn the offense. How is that going to change if he has to start all over again learning a new offense?

I hope this post hasn't sounded like a personal affront, because I enjoyed the positive aspects of your original post. But, for us to speculate about "what if/what could have been" in this situation is counterproductive, IMHO.

GO JACKETS!

Not too shoot down your post SLJ, but Quitsy
stated in the newspaper the reason he did
not honor his scholarship was because of
Joe Hamilton.

He knew he could not beat out little Joe,
although I am quiet sure that Ralph would
have coached Quisty up just like he did
Shawn, Joe, and George.

"IT's GREAT TO BEE A YELLOW JACKET!!"

Originally posted by Y Jacket:
Umm - just a question - is there even a remote possibility that Ball just won the job based on his talent? Any chance that he has even more talent at QB? That he might get a little credit too?

And if Ball did just beat out DBO (work with me here for a second) then would it not be in DBO's best interest to get on the field? THat seems like what a coach ought to do to me.

However, if DBO were to choose to go to Miss or elsewhere he would go with my best wishes. I would understand but hope he chooses to stay. He has been very classy about how he handled himself.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, Reggie Ball is a superb talent. I am in no way saying he is not. I believe he will give us a good shot to win this year. But to be so prepared to play right off the bat speaks very highly of his coaching at Stephenson High. It is Manning like as a comparison. More talented is a touchy question for me because I don't want to take any credit away from Ball. The talents that Damarius Bilbo brings to the field are rare. Lets put it that way.

I have to agree with OldGoldBee
Quincy refused to get hit more than once in any game... once a team got to him he got the yips and became a deer in the headlights... the offensive game plan then fell into disaray because Quincy was no leader...
Hamilton took more hits in one game against FSU than Quincy took in his entire career... Joe almost won that game single-handedly and if he hadn't been eventually knocked out of the game completely I still think the Jackets would have won...
Seems that Mr. Bilbo's problem is reading defenses... that's nothing to be ashamed of many QB's can't... It's not a question of heart, talent, or ability.... for some of the more fortunate reading defenses is a God given gift... Joe Montana had that ability early in his career and it led to a Super Bowl in his second season as an NFL QB, Joe Theisman says to this day that it was several years of playing in the NFL before it dawned on him during a game... It's the thing QB's call slowing down the game...
Mr. Ball has already alluded to the game slowing down for him in just this short period of time in practice... if this 'slowing down' translates to real game practicality he'll be a great one... we know he has the talent, he says he's got the brains... now let him prove come game day that he can put it all together with some heart and win some big games for the Yellow Jackets..

I think Bilbo possessed two attributes that made him good as quarterback in high school. The same attributes can help in college, but will not be as dominant as they were in high school.

He is a big strong kid with a strong arm and he has above average straight ahead speed. In high school those two attributes can make you dominant over average football players.

When you reach college, the game is faster and his ability to evade the defenders is neutralized on passing plays. Also, the defensive backs in college are as fast as the receivers. It is much harder to complete the passes. You must then possess a lot of QB savy to go along with some raw talent.

I believe Bilbo is an athletic individual who happened to over-run less talented individuals in high school. I believe his best chance in the pros will probably be at a position where he can use raw athletic ability, such as a receiver's position or at linebacker.

The quarterback position in college might possibility exceed his level of competence at that particular position. Gailey just might be making it possible for Bilbo to make it at the next level.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I think Bilbo possessed two attributes that made him good as quarterback in high school. The same attributes can help in college, but will not be as dominant as they were in high school.

He is a big strong kid with a strong arm and he has above average straight ahead speed. In high school those two attributes can make you dominant over average football players.

When you reach college, the game is faster and his ability to evade the defenders is neutralized on passing plays. Also, the defensive backs in college are as fast as the receivers. It is much harder to complete the passes. You must then possess a lot of QB savy to go along with some raw talent.

I believe Bilbo is an athletic individual who happened to over-run less talented individuals in high school. I believe his best chance in the pros will probably be at a position where he can use raw athletic ability, such as a receiver's position or at linebacker.

The quarterback position in college might possibility exceed his level of competence at that particular position. Gailey just might be making it possible for Bilbo to make it at the next level.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Another great post Ahso! You hit the proverbial nail on the head. Not to take ANYTHING from DBo, but Miss. isn't exactly the highest level of competition in High School football.

Beezerk: It was pointed out on this board recently that the state of Mississippi puts out more division 1A college football players per capita than any state in the country. More than Florida, Texas, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania who round out the top eight, though not in that exact order. You can't knock the level of competition. That is for sure.

BeeSerk, thanks once again, but as Clint Eastwood said in the Heartbreak Ridge movie, don't expect us to start kissing each other!

grin.gif

Ahso, you and I finally agree on something.

Having a son who played QB in high school
and was recruited to the Air Force Academy
he said the biggest adjustment for him was
the speed of the game.

There are many cases where a kid can have
all the "necessary" tools and be a stud at
his high school program and yet when he gets
to college it is a different playing field.

IMHO, Bilbo is a pure athlete and with
great talent that can be utilized somewhere
on the playing field.

BTW, good post!

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Beezerk: It was pointed out on this board recently that the state of Mississippi puts out more division 1A college football players per capita than any state in the country. More than Florida, Texas, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania who round out the top eight, though not in that exact order. You can't knock the level of competition. That is for sure.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting. I would like to see those stats. I went to High school in Memphis, and all the east Tenn. teams used to play the Northern Miss. schools all the time. Tenn. ususally would beat the Miss. schools. That is what I am basing my opinion on, and it is nothing more than an opinion.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting. I would like to see those stats. I went to High school in Memphis, and all the east Tenn. teams used to play the Northern Miss. schools all the time. Tenn. ususally would beat the Miss. schools. That is what I am basing my opinion on, and it is nothing more than an opinion.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ah someone brought it out about two weeks ago when we was arguing about who puts out more Div 1A players per capita Florida or Georgia.

stateline, if it's all about coaching then why couldn't the Fridge turn Crenshaw into a D-1 QB? or Logan or Hall or Williamson? I'm sure Bilbo would have had a better chance with the Fridge, but then almost anyone would. The Fridge has like 35 years experience, O'Brien and Nix combined have what, 15 or so? Some guys can do it and some can't. Physical ability has little to do with it. In fact, I was just reading an article in an old ESPN Magazine, I think the May issue, talking about what the pros are looking for in a QB. The statement was to the effect that what's between the ears is more important than arm strength or size. It's the stuff guys just somehow know how to do and their ability to learn quickly from the coaches and their own mistakes. That just doesn't sound like DeBo, at least not of the last 2 years. Maybe this will change him and he'll take things more to heart. Whatever he decides I wish him the best, but I want us playing the guy who can make plays.

This is just plain stupid. Does anyone remember Latrez Harrison? He was like the #2 QB prospect in the nation that went to Maryland about a year before Fridge was hired. He had good size, speed, and a strong arm. Guess what he now plays WR for Maryland. I suppose the reason he never made it QB was because Fridge couldn't coach him up. Yeah right. I remember reading an interview w/ Fridgen where he said that the most important trait a QB can have is the ability to see the field. He talked about how he had developed a test with flash cards to measure this ability and how NFL QBs consistently scored very high marks on this test. This is not a talent that can taught. You either have it or you don't. It is obvious from practice that this is an area where both Bilbo and Suggs are weak and Ball is exceptionally strong.

Listen I am not for or against any coach. I am pro-Georgia Tech and pro-"Doing what is best for the team". In this case, Coach Gailey is absolutely doing what is best for the team and Bilbo. Bilbo will not play QB in the NFL, but has a good chance of making at another position. Reggie Ball has earned the starting QB position and gives us the best chance to win. To play anyone else would be unfair to the team.

The artist formerly known as cbre.

Js...Of course this little trio knows all this..If it had been Oleary who made the move we never would have heard a peep out of them...This trio will keep this up at every move and contaminate this board....

Back